Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Merperson adventurer?  (Read 8419 times)

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merperson adventurer?
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:10:27 pm »

Would this be possible? I figure that first, you embark adjacent to a good-aligned ocean. Make sure you have a tavern which has aquatic access. Create an adventurer who is half decent at performing, swim around until you find a couple merpeople. Impress them with your performance and recruit them to join a performance troupe. Swim back to the dwarven fortress, ask to join on an official basis. I'm not exactly sure, but I'm guessing that if a few second generation merpeople were born, you could then adventure as one.

Also, I kind of want to play as a vampire merperson. You wouldn't drown, right?

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Re: Merperson adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 02:44:37 pm »

You could maybe manage it, if you got kinda lucky or used DF-Hack trickery. And you could play as a vampire merperson, yeah, because vampires have NOBREATHE tag, meaning they don't need to breathe or even have breathing parts in their body at all. The difficulty, I think, would be getting them to a temple in order to properly get them cursed, as Merpeople have the AQUATIC tag, meaning they air-drown, so it would be pretty hard making it there.

Edit: you could maybe bring a dwarf vampire adventurer to the same fort your Merperson starts off from and drink his blood, that could be an easier way to get your merperson vampirism.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:47:18 pm by Kars »
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:02:01 pm »

It occurred to me sometime after the original post that merpeople probably don't have the MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE tag, which means even if your fort had a designated merperson population, you wouldn't be able to start an adventure as one without first adding said tag to merpeople.

I am somewhat tempted to try acquiring a merperson population in one of my forts, though. As for making them into vampires, don't statues in player-made temples curse adventurers, too? If so, then you could always construct a temple and later [half?] drown it for your merpersons.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »

Just add that ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE tag then. :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:30 am »

Just add that ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE tag then. :P
That's an entity tag, which merpeople are not, so there's no place to add it. The creature token tag LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE might work though.

You can set them to join other civs like animal people do with the creature token local_pops_produce_heroes too.

At least, in theory, they've never once joined my hobbit civs despite them building mostly on the coast (and occasionally in the middle of the ocean).

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:16:13 am »

I have made at least one fort in/under a lake, but I might go ahead and drum up a coastal fort to do some !science! over break. Most lake forts, you want to be airtight. This one, I suppose is going to be at least half submerged. Since the current map I'm playing on doesn't have a good ocean, I'll probably tweak the raws for obligatory merperson vampire science, as well.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:59:11 pm »

I have made at least one fort in/under a lake, but I might go ahead and drum up a coastal fort to do some !science! over break. Most lake forts, you want to be airtight. This one, I suppose is going to be at least half submerged. Since the current map I'm playing on doesn't have a good ocean, I'll probably tweak the raws for obligatory merperson vampire science, as well.

Make sure to make an underwater temple and bodyswap with the first merperson that wanders onto the map, so you can go into the temple and become a vampire.  :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:56:50 am »

Mostly just wanted to add another thought that's been rolling around in my head. I've read that at some point there will be half-breeds, and I would eventually enjoy constructing an Innsmouth-style fort full of merperson/dwarf hybrids. Of course, hopefully by then gods have been a bit fleshed out and it'll be possible to construct proper temples to something akin to an elder thing, or perhaps the addition of a sacrifice mechanic. I'm sure most of this would already be done through modding and roleplay, but I am a sucker for vanilla.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:30:57 pm »

Mostly just wanted to add another thought that's been rolling around in my head. I've read that at some point there will be half-breeds, and I would eventually enjoy constructing an Innsmouth-style fort full of merperson/dwarf hybrids. Of course, hopefully by then gods have been a bit fleshed out and it'll be possible to construct proper temples to something akin to an elder thing, or perhaps the addition of a sacrifice mechanic. I'm sure most of this would already be done through modding and roleplay, but I am a sucker for vanilla.
Where did you read that? Half-breeds are an insanely complicated thing to manage under the Dwarf Fortress engine, and are a TREMENDOUS ways off.
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:41:29 am »

I believe this was the thread I remember seeing it be discussed on, but it was some time back and I'm guessing there are more threads than just the one. I do recall hearing that at least one of the three-toe stories involves a half-elf of some stripe, and I don't see why such a character would be included unless it was intended for the mechanic to be included in the game eventually.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:45:34 pm »

I believe this was the thread I remember seeing it be discussed on, but it was some time back and I'm guessing there are more threads than just the one. I do recall hearing that at least one of the three-toe stories involves a half-elf of some stripe, and I don't see why such a character would be included unless it was intended for the mechanic to be included in the game eventually.
Yeah, it's a love story between a goblin and an elf. It features offspring with different features of both.

It's both insanely difficult, and exactly the kind of thing you'd expect Toady to work on once he starts messing with procedurally generated creature/entity raws for mythgen.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:42:35 pm »

I believe a merperson adventurer who goes back into the sea and explores the oceans would be quite fun. I wonder how interesting it would be.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:45 pm »

I believe a merperson adventurer who goes back into the sea and explores the oceans would be quite fun. I wonder how interesting it would be.

Oceans are very boring ATM, though.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:31 pm »

Oceans are very boring ATM, though.
I like the evil whales, though.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:59 am »

less boring and more has a chance to eat you with icy fangs.
oh and I guess doing so Removes the ability to Fast travel which may push some players from that character type.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4