Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Merperson adventurer?  (Read 8499 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merperson adventurer?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »

I wonder, is it possible to get ambushed in the ocean?

People should add whatever tags let creatures ambush you to giant sperm whales, and enjoy the fun.  :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:20 pm »

I suppose oceans aren't entirely deficit of fun. You can always.... explore the caverns beneath an ocean. Speaking of which, I would enjoy if there were aquatic caves and even completely aquatic cave biomes. I suppose you can always drain an aquifer into a cave and create one yourself, but it isn't quite the same.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 05:24:58 pm »

I wonder, is it possible to get ambushed in the ocean?

People should add whatever tags let creatures ambush you to giant sperm whales, and enjoy the fun.  :D
Sharks have large_predator which should make them ambush ocean roaming adventurers.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »

Give large predator to giant sperm whales. I remember conducting arena tests that showed zombie giant sperm whales were about as strong as bronze colossi, so such an ambush by a normal whale would serve as a sort of lesser boss fight for aspiring adventurers.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 05:56:36 pm »

Is it even possible to be ambushed if you aren't quick-traveling? Because my understanding is you can't quick-travel while swimming  ;D

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 06:02:11 pm »

Is it even possible to be ambushed if you aren't quick-traveling? Because my understanding is you can't quick-travel while swimming  ;D
It doesn't give you the ambush message, but yes. Unfortunately, the ambush system doesn't really work for oceans since the gray asterisks aren't designed to cross large bodies of water, and thus never appear for aquatic predators.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »

Sirens are merfolk. But they have wings instead of arms in DF.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:55 pm »

Sirens are merfolk. But they have wings instead of arms in DF.
Sirens aren't in vanilla. You're thinking of harpies.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:59:55 pm »

In theory shark and whale cruise on the ocean, but I saw nothing in the vast blue the last time my vampire dwarf crossed a strait between two lands. There was nothing on the sea bed, either.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 07:08:36 am »

I hope Toady rewrites all the pathing/fast travel stuff to be less walking-centric sometime soon. 
We'll probably have to wait till the economy arc makes boats relevant.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:38 am »

I hope Toady rewrites all the pathing/fast travel stuff to be less walking-centric sometime soon. 
We'll probably have to wait till the economy arc makes boats relevant.
Boats is coming before economy right now (more fun).
Subject to change over the many years between now and then of course.

In the meantime, short-term pre-magic dev notes (i.e within the next 6 months) says "adventurer mounts". So that's a start.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 08:04:43 am »

>Mounts
Oh god yes. YES. All of my yes.

This post was commended for its usefullness

That said, maybe we can just tame giant alligators/capybaras and just go ride the waves, who need boats to begin with?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 01:21:59 pm »

That said, maybe we can just tame giant alligators/capybaras and just go ride the waves, who need boats to begin with?
Aquatic mounts have the problem that they drown their riders, so that will have to be fixed before we can do that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 05:46:23 pm »

Aquatic mounts have the problem that they drown their riders, so that will have to be fixed before we can do that.
But this is not exactly unrealistic. Try riding an alligator across the sea and see how long you last...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 08:04:15 pm »

I believe this is due to the animal swimming under the sea level as opposed as on surface. If you can control the beast it should be no  problem
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4