Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Merperson adventurer?  (Read 8497 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merperson adventurer?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »

I believe this is due to the animal swimming under the sea level as opposed as on surface. If you can control the beast it should be no  problem
So should be OK for adventurers.
Humans trying to ride alligators into battle against fortresses will still be hilariously dunked into the moat. Ha ha.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:27 pm »

You'd still need decent skill in swimming before you can do that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 12:31:34 am »

You'd still need decent skill in swimming before you can do that.
So, it's not just that they swim under the surface? Riding an alligator on the surface of the water will drown you too?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 11:57:20 am »

My understanding is that most natural water formations (rivers, lakes, and seas, primarily) don't exist at less than 7/7 depth. And the way the game reads that is over your head in water, more or less. So while an alligator might be capable of swimming atop a body of water, it currently swims below the surface, which results in dunking any riders, as previously mentioned.

Quick science update:
The former world I was playing around with has kinda puttered out because of various bugs, and its novelty is wearing off. I've already got a world generated for tested out merperson science (I've given them the LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE token, but not the other one). I will likely start some of that science very soon to see what happens.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:17 pm »

Be sure to place LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES too.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 10:23:03 pm »

Be sure to place LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES too.
They're really stubborn though. I've had that tag on them for a couple of years now and I've never spotted them joining a civ. My hobbit coastal towns are filled with streets of air drowning whales, sharks and other aquatic life, but still the merpeople stay away.

Each world has a few thousand wild merpeople and I removed [GOOD] from them so they could spawn in normal oceans. But still nothing. 😕

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2018, 02:03:45 am »

found that you can get any creature you want to play as by adding
Code: [Select]
[ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
[LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES]
to the entity list then adding the creature you want to play as a tame Animal the entity owns. then you need to make an adv camp as said civ to unlock the ability to play as that animal next go around.
the fact this game can Add New playable Races/species/characters is wonderful.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2018, 05:53:40 am »

I did drum up a harp seal adventurer, and while on my way to a fortress (for dwarven wine to fill my waterskin with), the game crashed. I will probably try again with a walrus man at some point.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »

found that you can get any creature you want to play as by adding
to the entity list then adding the creature you want to play as a tame Animal the entity owns. then you need to make an adv camp as said civ to unlock the ability to play as that animal next go around.
the fact this game can Add New playable Races/species/characters is wonderful.
I believe you can also just add [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to any race in their creature raws.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 09:39:20 pm »

I believe you can also just add [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] to any race in their creature raws.

I just tried this, and it doesn't appear to work. Merperson simply isn't showing up in any of the available race lists.

The plan for the science I was doing was to go recruit a few merpeople with my walrus adventurer, create a performance troupe, retire them in my fort, and eventually have them become citizens. At that point perhaps they would count as part of the fort's civilization, and maybe allow for being picked in adventure mode. The first problem I had with this was that I'm not even sure whether or not merpeople spawn in adventurer mode. I ended up using the dfhack 'modtools/create-unit' command to generate a few merpeople. They were all happy to join my walrus storyteller as entertainers and even agreed to join his performance troupe. However, at this point none of them attempted to follow the walrus man or even move. Waiting or sleeping ashore would respawn the merpeople nearby (on land), and they would promptly dash back into the water where they would once again not move.

I decided since I was already kinda cheating, I'd use the 'gui/gm-editor' script to teleport us to the fort I'd prepared. At this point the game crashed, presumably because there was something on my fort that it couldn't handle loading. I found this odd, especially because it was a new fort that I'd retired before the end of the second month.

So, I just thought I'd share that science with you folks. Any of y'all have any bright ideas for where to take this experiment next?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 11:37:18 pm »

you might want to make a Civ that contains Merfolk as an animal, then have it set so that they ALWAYS have them PRESENT.
or just use this in the entity setting
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_WAGON_PULLER]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PACK_ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_SIEGE]
the creature would probably not show up in the adventurer list at first so you might need to create an adventurer of that civ that owns Merfolk to unlock them.
works best if you also have this
[LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
added to the Civ entity files
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 04:44:59 pm »

I hope Toady rewrites all the pathing/fast travel stuff to be less walking-centric sometime soon. 
We'll probably have to wait till the economy arc makes boats relevant.
Boats is coming before economy right now (more fun).
Subject to change over the many years between now and then of course.

In the meantime, short-term pre-magic dev notes (i.e within the next 6 months) says "adventurer mounts". So that's a start.
I hope they have an option to turn magic off in world gen, not really interested in magic.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »

I hope Toady rewrites all the pathing/fast travel stuff to be less walking-centric sometime soon. 

In the meantime, short-term pre-magic dev notes (i.e within the next 6 months) says "adventurer mounts". So that's a start.
I hope they have an option to turn magic off in world gen, not really interested in magic.
Yes. There will be sliders.
You'll be able to turn off dwarves too by reducing the fantasy slider to zero.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 08:34:11 pm »

I would just crank all the sliders to max for randomly generated races and simply insane magic.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4