Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me build a forgotten beast kill chamber  (Read 1826 times)

Leiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me build a forgotten beast kill chamber
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

Hey Overseers!

I'm being harrased by a forgotten beast with a syndrome that causes rot. When it hits my dwarfs they all become completely rotten, so I am trying to come up with a way to defeat it without coming into contact with it. I'd prefer not to use cavein traps, magma or anything like that. I want to defeat it with my marksdwarves if possible.

I am trying to build a forgotten beast killchamber, but I am not having much luck. I build a simple 20x20 square with an artifact door on the fortress side and a bridge on the cave side to create an airlock. There are fortifications on the fortress side of the square for my marksdwarves. Initially it went okay, my dwarves opened fire, but when the FB reached the fortifications it started infecting my dwarves through the fortifications, causing them all to be rotted.

Any tips for dealing with this guy? How can I set this up in the best way?

Will it help if I make the kill chamber multiple Z-levels tall and build my fortifications at the top level so dwarves can fire downwards? If so, how many Z level?
Will it help if I channel a pit infront of the fortifications? How many Z levels to prevent the FB from climbing?
Previously I also had a flying FB, which was killed by my current FB, I assume a flyer could easily just fly over a pit, how would you tackle a flyer?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me build a forgotten beast kill chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:26:20 pm »

If you like unnecessarily complicated but extremely dwarfy contraptions, you could make a minecart shotgun/grinder.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:30:15 pm »

Clouds can't spread if the creator of them is underwater, right? Perhaps have the fortifications at least one level up, and have the containment chamber UW with grates above it. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with cloud-spreaders, so I'm unsure.

Leiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:23 am »

Hmmm, a cloud-spreader - never heard of that term before, but it makes sense.

You mention grates. Can marksdwarves shoot through grates?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:50 am »

Marksdwarves should be able to shoot through both grates and fortifications, yes. It might be difficult, but if they're skilled enough, it's manageable.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:15:03 am »

Rather than killing it, try to find a way of weaponising the syndrome.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:37:14 am »

Rather than killing it, try to find a way of weaponising the syndrome.

You could put a forgotten beast on the underside of a room, 2 z levels below in a 4x4 (or slightly larger) room, for marksdwarves to shoot at through a 2x2 grate (supported by floortiles no additional support needed), then bait it away with a bait animal down a web-cage trapped corridor sealed with a bridge if the FB is suitable to end the exercise

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 02:44:48 pm »

I would channel a 5x5 or 7x7 room, 5z tall. Put some grates at the top and shoot it through that. Unless it has some kind of ranged targeted attack it should be fine.

Or really, you could just wire the room with spears attached to a lever and pull it repeatedly. Would put absolutely noone at risk.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Leiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »

Think I am going to go with the 5x5 room with grates at the top. I assume I would need a piece of wall in the middle to support the grates right?
As I understand, a flying FB wouldnt be able to destroy the grates, since they cannot destroy items above them, is that correct?
Is there any benefit to making the room 7x7?

Hadnt really considered the spears, but I think using markdwarves is more fun. If I cant get the killroom to work, ill probably go with the spear trick.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:21:36 pm »

I would use a pattern of grates like

X=Floor
G=Grates

XXXXX
XGXGX
XXGXX
XGXGX
XXXXX
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »

If you can trap it in a very small room, say 3x3 or preferably 1x1, you could designate a dump from above and kill it with surplus shoes and socks. Or rocks I guess if you want less fun.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 02:18:55 pm »

Shotgunning it in a execution chamber can also be a option, if you build a fortification into the side of a wall divided by a bridge, then say load it up full of arrows, heavy objects like lead metal furniture/statues etc and catapult it through at high speed to smack the FB in the face. Stuff will fly through the fortification after the minecart hits the wall hard.

zdrgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 05:58:29 pm »

I think you had the idea with multiple z-level chamber.  If the fortification is say 3 zlevels up, you need a chasm or river or something to keep him 3-4 z-levels away from the fortifications so they can fire down at a 45 degree angle(if memory serves).  Not sure how far up/out you need to build.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:30:08 pm »

I am fairly sure that the angle is not a factor. They will totally just shoot at anything they can see.

Make sure if you use marksdwarves that they cannot path to the FB.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:10 pm »

I am fairly sure that the angle is not a factor. They will totally just shoot at anything they can see.

Make sure if you use marksdwarves that they cannot path to the FB.
But they can only see at a 45 degree angle downward, because the fortification is in the way.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: [1] 2