Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retiring For Years?  (Read 853 times)

Simurg Tyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Retiring For Years?
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:50:58 am »

Is it possible? When I retire my adventurer and return him/her back, it waits a month or like this and returns. It's so short for me. Is there way to retire for years and return?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring For Years?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:39 am »

I don't think so, at least not directly.  You could theoretically start a fort in the same world and repeatedly retire and resume it until the amount of time passed that you want, but that's pretty tedious.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:50:28 am »

Or just retire, make a past-time fort, and then come back to your adventurer when it's done?

Simurg Tyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »

Or just retire, make a past-time fort, and then come back to your adventurer when it's done?

Will this make it longer?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:29:34 pm »

I think the idea was to just play the fort for however many years you wanted to pass for your adventurer, so it would be up to you.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:05:48 pm »

Toady's talked about how difficult it would be to return to the initial high-speed world-gen (and you wouldn't want to try to pass years at the calendar screen speed). However it's something he wants in the game so it'll happen eventually.

In the meantime, the "easy" way is to get a tiny fortress with a vampire/werewolf (you could set it up by retiring an undead adventurer there), lock him behind a wall and take the game off pause for a few years. He won't die, so the fortress won't ever fall.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 02:25:20 am »

Toady's talked about how difficult it would be to return to the initial high-speed world-gen (and you wouldn't want to try to pass years at the calendar screen speed). However it's something he wants in the game so it'll happen eventually.

In the meantime, the "easy" way is to get a tiny fortress with a vampire/werewolf (you could set it up by retiring an undead adventurer there), lock him behind a wall and take the game off pause for a few years. He won't die, so the fortress won't ever fall.
You'd also uncap the FPS and disable all announcements that pauses the game. You'd need to set to pop cap to block migrants and set up the fortress out of reach of goblins. There isn't much you can do about titans/(semi) megabeasts, though, so you'd still have to check from time to time to unpause it, although it may well be that you can make a script that unpauses automatically when DF pauses.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 03:34:51 am »

You could also do it by setting up a minimalist self sustaining fort.  AFAIK, That's pretty easy to do with the current mechanics.

Set the pop cap to 1, child cap to 0:0

Tunnel into the dirt, farm plump helmets, set up a job to make plump helmet wine, seal off the entrance, remove the fps cap so the fort runs as fast as possible.

Downsides -
It's tedious and won't run as fast as you're probably wanting it to run, and if you don't set it up right, it might collapse before you advance however many years you wanted.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 02:05:27 pm »

Will this make it longer?

Well, gaming takes time to begin with, but it's fun
Also, time goes faster in fort mode. Sure it will still take time, but much less than retiring/unretiring a fort for years. And when you're done, just retire the fort, and come back to it next time you want to pass time for your adventurer. Think of it as a sidequest ?