Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific material for civs?  (Read 1241 times)

Whitefang

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PREFSTRING:lazy nature]
    • View Profile
Specific material for civs?
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:36:35 pm »

For a mod I'm making, I created a civilization of panda men (ryongyuu) naturally gifted in martial arts (STRIKER, KICKER, MELEE_COMBAT, etc.), and they've got nunchucks and a karate chop attack. Part of their "theme", I guess, is that all of their weapons and armor are made of thick bamboo, a kind of wood. I already modded in the panda men, the nunchucks, and the bamboo trees/wood, as well as their language, ethics, this and that and all that other entity stuff.

My issue is, I don't know how to set it so that the ryongyuu will make their weapons and armor only out of thick bamboo. Granted, I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to set a specific material for civilizations. I copied the [WOOD_WEAPONS] and [WOOD_ARMOR] tokens from the hippies elves, since those tokens basically go, "Hey, only wood armor and weapons", which is what I want, since the bamboo is a type of wood, and I only want them to use that wood for their stuff. However, I have the necessary reactions set up for them to make the armor and stuff using a bamboo-working workshop, but they seem to use other woods as well as the thick bamboo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^ Reactions ^

^ Material and reaction class ^

And on a smaller note unrelated to this, I am having a tiny issue where all individuals of one species will have the same skin/scale/eye/hair/etc. color. For example, when the gobbos come, one siege will have all of them with lime skin and indigo hair. When the next comes, they might all have olive skin and lavender hair. Their physical characteristics are different, but the colors are all the same. It's a tiny problem, but a bit annoying. :-\ Especially when I gave a modded race so many scale colors to pick from, and they all end up having rose scales and brown eyes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:58:01 pm by Whitefang »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Specific material for civs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 04:17:31 pm »

Unfortunately, civs don't use weapons/materials obtained solely from reactions - at least in my experience. As an example, I made a sub-set of dwarves with gun-making, but had to remove guns as a default weapon so they couldn't be made with just 1 metal bar instead of the convoluted system I had in mind. This made guns list as "foreign", and also resulted in guns never appearing in caravans or being available to request or embark with.

The new [ANIMAL] tags can limit what gathered products and caged animals a civ bring, but civs will still acquire leathers and animal products from nearby biomes, so that route's out...

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Whitefang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »

Unfortunately, civs don't use weapons/materials obtained solely from reactions - at least in my experience. As an example, I made a sub-set of dwarves with gun-making, but had to remove guns as a default weapon so they couldn't be made with just 1 metal bar instead of the convoluted system I had in mind. This made guns list as "foreign", and also resulted in guns never appearing in caravans or being available to request or embark with.

The new [ANIMAL] tags can limit what gathered products and caged animals a civ bring, but civs will still acquire leathers and animal products from nearby biomes, so that route's out...

Damn, so my "bamboo only" idea won't work, huh? I think Meph did something for Masterwork like restricting the "tier" of metals that civs could have, but that was only for world gen and didn't affect fortress mode... I think. At least, that's what the "The reactions only affect worldgen and are ignored in fortress mode." comment at the top of reaction_GUI tells me. Not sure I could do anything with that, then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:32:14 pm by Whitefang »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:31:40 pm »

you can restrict what metals a civ can use by removing their profession of Furnace Operator and give them reactions that have a PRODUCT of the metal BAR you want them to have (Note this reaction doesn't need a reagent, nor a building, just as long as the ENTIY has PERMITTED_REACTION)

Whitefang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:26:03 pm »

you can restrict what metals a civ can use by removing their profession of Furnace Operator and give them reactions that have a PRODUCT of the metal BAR you want them to have (Note this reaction doesn't need a reagent, nor a building, just as long as the ENTIY has PERMITTED_REACTION)

Right, I forgot about that. I think I was actually doing that earlier today for the drow race I'm making. Stupid of me to forget so quickly. Would this work for woods, though? If not, I feel maybe changing thick bamboo to a type of metal would work...

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 07:41:58 pm »

I think it would, however it comes with some caveats. You'd need to remove the WOOD tag from the civ, otherwise they wouldn't use the material at least to my understanding (It's possible they might use it, but they'd still use wood too).

You'd also have melt-able bamboo.

Whitefang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 08:33:24 pm »

You'd also have melt-able bamboo.

Makes me wonder how the elves would feel about that...

Would it piss them off? Probably.
Would it be worth it? Definitely.

But yeah, that'd definitely be a problem. Would metal bamboo work? Yeah, in terms of functionality it would, but there'd definitely be some odd behavior that wouldn't be considered normal for "wooden" things, like the melting and such. Plus metal bamboo just sounds strange.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:58:59 am by Whitefang »