Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Force translation modding  (Read 824 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Force translation modding
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »

I'm looking for ways for this to work less ridiculously until it is properly balanced. Currently you can easily get crippled after someone slashes at you with an edged weapon weapon when it doesn't even get close to penetrating your plate armor. This should not happen unless the attacker is supernaturally strong and/or uses a weapon made of a material superior than your armor. But nowadays a lot of attacks that used to glance off before make your joints bend as if you were Stretch Armstrong.

How do I mod this to work more or less like it did before this feature got introduced?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Force translation modding
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:48 pm »

DF Revised has some adjustments to combat, but mostly unarmed. To reduce the frailty of creatures, consider twiddling numbers in:

material_template_default (to adjust sharpness of metals/toughness of organic materials)

tissue_template_default (to further adjust organic tissues, such as by adjusting how much they bleed)

body_detail_plan (to adjust relative thickness of materials, i.e. making skin be applied in thicker layers)
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:42:20 am »

I think the core of the issue is how the bodily materials still have very rough, very placeholdery values for bending, pulling, twisting and compressive force limits. The impact and shear forces have always been in the spotlight, but the rest were just playing marginal roles in wrestling calcs until very recently.

Upping the yield and fracture values for the materials of whatever tissues you feel are getting unfairly mangled should do the trick. Nerves, meat, cartilage, whatever grinds your gears.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:27:56 am »

Thank you both for your input. I'll go over those values when I have the time.

This detail made me curious though:

Upping the yield and fracture values for the materials of whatever tissues you feel are getting unfairly mangled should do the trick. Nerves, meat, cartilage, whatever grinds your gears.

What's your personal opinion on what tissues are being mangled too easily? I already got rid of nerves since those have been a mess ever since they got introduced, even before the force pass.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

I think the core of the issue is how the bodily materials still have very rough, very placeholdery values for bending, pulling, twisting and compressive force limits. The impact and shear forces have always been in the spotlight, but the rest were just playing marginal roles in wrestling calcs until very recently.

I mean, it wouldn't help much: bending should be the minimum of tensile, compressive and shear forces (all three types of force are applied), torsion should be the same without compression (though this doesn't matter since most materials are stronger in compression anyway), compression and tension are usually well-documented and thus not really in need of changing (i.e. IMPACT is always based on compressive right now, not the other way around).

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:41 am »

Another thing is, weapons in vanilla are very heavy and extremely powerful compared to their real life counterparts. I'm currently working on an overhaul for that and, although it's not perfect and ridiculous force pulls still happen from time to time, re-adjusting the SIZE and attack values (contact area, velocity) for weapons does wonders.

I too recommend using DF Revised for unarmed weirdness fix.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:08:55 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.