Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Xarit's experiments on wormhole habitation for frigates (EVE Online stuff)  (Read 22202 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i said i was going to make a thread for this eventually in order to not clutter the EVE thread in the forums (outside of periodically posting news about patches, leaks, etc...)

first of all there was a reorganization of my EVE Online stuff, i decided to make a new account that is set to be the permanent one. the other accounts predate alpha clones and arent meant for what i want to do or require going omega, or are old trial accounts that i dont plan to touch anymore. hopefully the ticket i sent for account deletions will be touched promptly or something.

anyways the long term objective of this adventure is to build a character that can survive in Anoikis (wormhole space) without having to rely on structures and can sustain a permanent stance in a single wormhole with only a frigate to its name.

this is the first report from around 3-4 day in total since the creation of the character. i chose Amarr due to the convinience of laser crystals and the high resistance profiles you can get from armor tanking on some of their ships. however, if the oportunity arises, i could train for the other empire ships, Gallente and Minmatar should be the most likely due to the turret centric doctrines and familiar tanking methods. Caldari would require getting some points in shield and im not sure if they could be in the SP budget but should be a proper addition.

the starting tutorial was completed entirely with some insights into Resource Wars, but due to the low skills in mining it wasnt possible to do the lowest site with the venture you get at the end of the introduction, career agents were completed for a total of 10 million or so and some hulls. most of the ships were sold and the rest was hauled to Amarr for extra income.

a Tormentor was fitted for mission running in order to do the epic arc (no drones, only guns). practically all the SoE epic arc was completed, however, Dagan proved to be unkillable and thus i had to leave it on stand by until i get to polish the combat skills to break his tank. the total income at that moment was over 20 million but made the mistake of trying to quickly buy and fit a Coercer to see if i could take finish that last mission, it didnt work.

some stuff was left in Arnon as reference (mainly the non sellable props from the intro missions as they are related to SoE, just for a bit of roleplay). in the return to Amarr an executioner was bought and fitted for a dip into WHs or at least for scanning combat sites and the like in high sec. a trip to Yulai was done just to meet the Concord HQ, im bummed you cant take missions from them, it could have been cool but there's not much in terms of rewards to be honest.

there were some Blood Raider combat sites, but there were no blue modules in any of them, only Overseer Effects that helped to compesate some of the expenditures of the ship. sadly, the Executioner didnt live much, a lvl 3 blood raider data site turned out to be a ghost site, destroying the ship while i was scanning other signatures. most of the improtant stuff was recovered from the wreck, including all the defensive mods, most of the ammo, analyzers, some turrets and the probe launcher with some charges.

a new Tormentor was bought after that and put to use for experimentation on wormholes. it took a bit of time to find a C1 entry, but in the process a data site was found with some good loot for paying up for the expenditures. the ship has been succesfully moved into a C1 wormhole, there was a Sansha Relic site which earned over 16 million in loot (some containers exploded, but its something to expect), this upped the wallet past 30 million, a good start for funding the endeavor.

this is the current fit of the ship:

[Tormentor, Unnamed loadout]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
Small 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I
'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I
'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Small Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

Gatling Modulated Energy Beam I, Multifrequency S

Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I

as time goes on the fit should change to T2 modules. additional to that base, i carry a Mobile Depot, a Salvager I, a core probe launcher, data analyzer, relic analyzer , a meta 4 small hull repairer, 16 probes and the rest of the laser crystals.

ship has 130 m3 cargo capacity, all the stuff totals a bit over 100 m3, thus there's roughly 30 m3 worth of space for salvage and blue loot. if things are ideal, having the mobile depot deployed should be more than enough to deal with cargo issues as long as i take out the loot periodically in order to evade leaving the depot in space.

i was considering bringing a small secure container but im not sure i could have brought everything at once with it. it could be a possibility once i have finished polishing my skills as part of a second phase or something.

gatlings were chosen compared to the other pulse lasers due to the extra powergrid and cpu left to quickly swap to other modules. plus i like how they work, they remind me of using Quad Lights in a Harbinger. the final fit should be something like this:

[Tormentor, Unnamed loadout]

Damage Control II
Small Armor Repairer II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Heat Sink II

Small Cap Battery II

Gatling Pulse Laser II, Multifrequency S

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I

Hornet II x4

if things prove to be good i may consider also jumping into a faction frigate. sadly, it means i may have to use a pirate frigate because the Navy Slicer only has 2 mids making it unsuitable for this job (i need that space for web + battery or both analyzers), so apart of the Succubus and the Cruor, the Crucifier Navy would be the only option outside of cross training for other navy frigates.

this is all for now.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that C1 was dry, so had to move on to another, the new high sec opening led to a system in Khanid. most of the signatures around were combat sites (including a Blood Raider 4/10) but i wouldnt dare to do those with this ship. so i moved on to the next system, there was another C1 opening in that system, so i promptly move on to it, it has a lot of signatures and anomalies so it seems promising for experimentation.

i tried testing the Tormentor in a Perimeter Ambush Point, as it was expected for the fit, the ship can tank the damage of the Sleeper Drones but getting webbed poses additional problems due to the sentries in the site. getting rid of the webbing frigate of the first wave was a must. then i moved on to the sentries, as it happened with other short range ships, the ship was getting stuck trying to orbit the sentries, even changing to Microwave ranges was still giving issues.

the capacitor for the moment has worked fine, but i had to swap from Multifrequency to Standard in order to evade getting capped out with all the stuff i had to run. i would have kept doing the site but i got interrupted by a Vexor Navy that entered the system.

not sure which was the objective of the person as no combat probes appeared in the scanner, i made my way out of the hole to repair some modules because i had to overheat the repper for a while (fortunately in most of those cases it seems modules repair themselves if you put them in a depot but moving outside to look for a tether is best in most cases). it seems the other person will just do the sites and move on so until then im gonna wait for a while.

hopefully for the night i wont be interrupted again. the second thing i have to test is neut resistance which means scanning one of the relic/data sites or entering a Perimeter Camp anomaly. however i would restrain from doing it until i have finished maxing my cap skills and so on.

UPDATE:

i returned to the game to see if it was empty, the anomaly i started was still there so warped in and resumed testing. the ship is capable but the accuracy of the sleeper drones shreds the ship even with the high defenses. damage wise i was dealing more or less what i expected, it could be more but i havent polished the gunnery skills yet as im focusing on getting Spaceship Command and Amarr Frigate to 4. then i'll move into agility, then CPU/Powergrid and cap, and so on until i reach those.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:40:59 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i decided to scrap the Amarr character and start all over again with Caldari instead. while i love this faction for their aesthetics and overall performance in other situations, the laser focus doesnt put it well enough due to the low cargo capacity, lower speed and higher risk at WHs due to the armor focus.

Caldari or Minmatar will be more safe for this endeavor due to shield tank, the performance of missile launchers, lack of capacitor consumption in general and of course, higher cargo capacity. im already finishing with the last career agents, then after it im going to move into Jita to settle up the home base and make a proper fit for my merlin in order to set route to Arnon for the SoE epic arc.

plan will be to get the mission chain up until the Dagan fight, i probably wont be able to defeat him with a Cormorant/Corax so im going to leave the offer floating around while i polish my skills. in the meantime im going to look for other stuff to do like blitzing missions for the navy or something like that. another could be Resource Wars (for the clothing and the skins mostly), it would just need to add mining upgrades I to equip the MLU from the tutorial, that should be enough to help up the yield in order to fill the quota from the lowest sites (cant remember how much you have to fill).

im still deciding into whether use missiles or hibrids as the starting skills are usually focused mostly on gunnery and the missile tutorial gives you a civilian launcher that doesnt require skills for the missiles provided. with web equiped, blasters would be monstrous against the sleeper drones due to the high tracking and damage potential despite the extremely low ranges, however, against sentries they would bump the ship too much so i would have to use railguns which have horrible tracking and may not be as effective in terms of damage.

thus i would have to leave the gunnery skills as they are for anything high sec related (as i would only have to care about buying antimatter charges and deal any kind of damage), while focusing heavily on missiles for WH stuff, Condor or Kestrel would be the main leads, allthought i always wanted to fly a Corax (space U-Boat FTW).

i dont plan to stay with only 1 weapon tho, if things prove good i may want to go up on hibrids as some of the coolest Caldari ships are gunboats or can use guns as weaponry (Moa, Ferox, Naga, Scorpion, Rokh, Blackbird, Griffin Navy, even the navy scorpion can use turrets despite the rate of fire bonus for missiles).

UPDATE:

i got to complete my first Resource War site with the following fit. i think im gonna keep going on it in order to get some of those skins and stuff. then i'll go to Arnon, the Gurista Hunt event starts in 2 days but i dont think i'll be able to participate as a i dont know the difficulty of the sites, taking in account how hard the Guardian's Gala sites were (according to other players) well it will probably be equally hard or worse, the skins are worth tho, and they'll probably give cerebral accelerators.

here's the Venture fit:

[Venture, Villiam Kaardanen's Venture]

Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

EP-S Gaussian Scoped Mining Laser
EP-S Gaussian Scoped Mining Laser
Civilian Light Missile Launcher

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Civilian Scourge Light Missile x58

the Civilian LML is actually quite good, the amount of missiles is small and you cant recover them or build them from blueprints(as far as i know) but each one deals 55 kinetic damage which is good against guristas and helps me against the rats in the site. plus it doesnt require any skill to use or occupies any hardpoint (venture can only fit guns or mining lasers, not missile launchers), it seems the module can also use regular missiles so it would be funny to use regular scourges.

UPDATE2:

the venture survived 3 sites, then got exploded by the gurista rats in the 4th. this made me loose a lot of time but i got to replace it quickly and finish harvesting the LP. bought the merlin pack, sold most of it except for the ship and the ammo, then armed a meta4 fit and went in route to Arnon, the skin looks good enough even in low graphics (kinda looks like an Harpy, not sure actually) but i bet it looks even better in HD, gotta take a photo for my collection.

anyways, tomorrow im gonna do the whole epic arc, i used an active tank fit, passive doesnt seem as effective most of the time, allthought i have to help fill the cap issues with a battery and thus i cant use a web, shouldnt hit me too much even with the 75mm railguns as long as i keep low transversal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:47:41 am by xaritscin »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a reason why you biomass your previous characters? You can have more than one account on an email address, if that's a concern.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a reason why you biomass your previous characters? You can have more than one account on an email address, if that's a concern.

i dont intend to use them, and i dont like seeing like 10 accounts tied to the same email, want to keep mono account.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should link this in the EVE online thread, looks like a few of the people who were/might've been interested in your escapades haven't found this thread yet.

At least, I don't think you've linked it there yet. Maybe I missed it entirely xD
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should link this in the EVE online thread, looks like a few of the people who were/might've been interested in your escapades haven't found this thread yet.

At least, I don't think you've linked it there yet. Maybe I missed it entirely xD

no i havent, gonna have to spam it there, at least once.

as for today's shenanigans:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

im quite impressed with the looks of the skin. never really been fond of the Lai Dai colors but it looks good on the Merlin, specially due to the diagonal lining. well Caldari ships in general look good despite the militaristic and utilitarian design, so its nice to see something else apart of grey and blue.

here's the fit btw:

[Merlin, Villiam Kaardanen's Merlin]

Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer

Small C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Small Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

75mm 'Scout' Accelerator Cannon

Lead Charge S x931
Antimatter Charge S x1000
Iron Charge S x664

most of the time i just snipe the rats before they reach me but despite that the gatling rails still hit with a proper amount of damage in close orbits unless they are too close, im pretty impressed with the results. still, it may not be a proper platform against Sleepers, perhaps if i used long range ammo when taking out structures, then swap to antimatter when fighting the drones but im not sure that blasters can get enough range to do that unless i invest heavily on tracking enhancers and all that jazz (thus cutting on damage potential).

if possible im gonna improve the fit, could save a lot of slots on certain things which would allow me to add a tracking computer or a web for extra precision, but for now i have to go with this. blitzing L1s with these boy shouldnt be hard at all. the only possible annoyance with that would be how much i have to grind to get good standings with the navy, but its not really a life or death situation, just something to do while waiting on the skills to be WH capable.

i'd like to keep with Resource Wars, its a nice activity to pass time, really sad that its seems so underlooked as the only thing that could need to get fixed are the LP rewards. the ship skins are nice despite the non permanent clause, but i think people would trully farm these sites if there was a something with actual value, two pairs of clothing with a cost beyond 150 million isnt a good reward, perhaps mining related stuff like boosters, implants and the like (do we even have mining boosters?, it would be a nice isk sink, plus it would help to clear sites faster).

the point is that it was something with potential, it just need that extra kick to make it worth it.

UPDATE2:

had to ask for help in order to finish the second to last mission of the arc (that harbinger was tanking my weapons and the cap battery didnt help much against the neuting). after that i stopped by in Dodixie in order to replenish my stock of antimatter, and also to replace the weapons, the 75mm have a really cool design and worked fine for most enemies but they are too weak against larger enemies so i swapped to 150mm rails.

im on my way to a .5 system in Black Rise for L1 blitzing, no low sec systems around so it will be fine (i hope). only possible issue would be to replenish ammo every now and then but i only spend like 120 units per recharge and i bought like 10K of them, should last for a while.

im getting to Caldari Frigate 4 in an hour or two which means i'll be able to move onto spaceship command 4 and then go down to the important stuff. the Gurista event starts tomorrow too so im gonna see if the merlin is capable of doing the sites or at least participate while someone else kills the boss (a fucking Rattlesnake aparently).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:30:59 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

currently doing the Guristas Hunt event. 5 eggs and counting, it has been hard to find site with containers and most of the ones with rats are being stripped by players in drone boats so i cant even get a share of taking down the smaller targets.

anyways, must keep going, the cerebral accelerators are a must if i want to speed things up, specially for those engineering skills which take more than a week to train.

UPDATE:

got close to complete lvl 3 for both agency missions. but Tranquility got disconnected again due to some issues with the chat (among other stuff). i came back after doing some other stuff but the Merlin got destroyed while taking out one of the sites.

i had to return all the way back to jita in order to refit, so i took the chance to switch the fit from active tank + rails to this:

[Merlin, Villiam Kaardanen's Merlin]

Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Modal Light Neutron Particle Accelerator I

Antimatter Charge S x11889

the nanofiber looks weird in the fit but i dont have enough skills to add other kinds of mods and putting a tracking enhancer/magnetic field stabilizer would mean wasting a rigslot on extra powergrid so i prefered shorter align time to escape more effectively.

im getting close to the 100 points mark for that accelerator, just need to grind some more.

UPDATE2:

lost the ship again, decided to try specific hardeners this time (despite not getting any buffer or boosting). it has more or less worked but i still have to warp out in some situations. im gonna do some missions for the rest of the day as its probable that the event missions will reset for next day so i will just need to get lvl 1 and 2 again in order to get those last 40 points for the accelerator.

now that i have Caldari Frigate 4, i should think on starting the missile training, Rockets mostly since i could shoot from beyond 7 km with a good precision.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:48:48 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

everything is set. remapped to get the most points for training missiles (which can also be used to save time on gunnery, noice!), i bought all the required skills for missile operation and added light missiles just in case. already got missile launcher operation to lvl 3 and i added some of the small ones to the queque for extra covering, if i get the cerebral accelerator i think im gonna be able to maximize what i want in these nine days or something.

i went to finish getting the last points but my ship got destroyed. an idiot in one of the sites went suspect on me and started shooting missiles on my merlin, i didnt retaliate and let concord do its thing but i had lost enough shield and the focus from the rats got me down before being able to escape in hull.

now that im on route to Jita i should consider using a condor, not sure.

UPDATE:

fitted an active tanked condor. skills seemed fine for the fight but those rats change speed when i try to orbit them at a proper range, got to kill the last wave of a site before begging swarmed by frigates. i dont know how they expect people to do these sites if its not on large ships, its really annoying to try and clear any site with so much worms flying around.

gonna try with a passive tanked one + web, but it seems there's no way around them outside of entering other people's sites. just to get a few kills on the small stuff while the focus on the boss. cant waste more money.

UPDATE2:

finally!, got the accelerator, sadly, it only works for 24 hours. it seems you can increase the time by putting lvls in biology, more than day and a half if i add the maximum. gonna try that just so i can squish the most out of it.

i was also thinking on passing a large influx of isk from my old character, it should cover at least 14 daily injectors or so with a few million to spare, just to speed up with some other skills.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:52:43 pm by xaritscin »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stealing other peoples loot doesn't lower your sec standing IIRC. So if it is something good and your safety is set to yellow you could just grab it and then dock for 15min and have a coffee. Or be in a pvp ship and hope the other guy attacks you.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stealing other peoples loot doesn't lower your sec standing IIRC. So if it is something good and your safety is set to yellow you could just grab it and then dock for 15min and have a coffee. Or be in a pvp ship and hope the other guy attacks you.

im not that kind of player. if the site has the containers with the eggs untouched, then i'll rush to get them before the others but taking from yellow containers is a no no for me. i'd like to do piracy in this game one day tho, but it seems there's no real reward on doing it so i dont see the point on suicide ganking or stealing from other people's containers.

so i just compete to be the first one on each site in order to secure those eggs. i got what i wanted anyways so not planning to go further with it, too time consuming.

ok i made a clean up of assets from my old main to this boy, left the corp and emptied the walled before putting the old char in the biomass queue. i want to return to corp one day but first i need to get a better PC (hopefully something that is compatible with speakers so i can use Mumble for once), it feels wrong being on comms and being the only one using TTS to say anything with the rest of the corp.

now im on route to the stations where i had saved most of the valuable stuff, there's a lot of ships i had accumulated that i cant sell. i have enough money to fund the transportation order to Jita but first i need to move everything to a single station.

UPDATE:

done, really helps that ships can be moved as long as the modules you cant use are offline and you have the skill to fly it. was able to move an old mission gnosis from a hub to the old HQ and then fill a contract to Red Frog for moving everything i had in that station to Jita for sell. i have my fingers crossed that the courier will be able to get the job done without issues. cant say there's over 1 billion in stuff in that contract but there's so much unique stuff (collectibles from past celebrations) that i dont want to loose anything.

with the money of the old character i was able to buy 10 daily injectors in order to speed up training. already filled a lot of missing lvls in navigation, with the last remaining lvls being 1 day queues which i can cover later. im gonna keep the normal queque for missile training while i spend the SP from the injectors into the other skills that dont go too deep (lvl 2s-lvl 3s in most cases).

then if there's left over SP im gonna invest it into shortening the time for some lvl 4 skills, those and lvl 5s have to be trained over time because the amount of SP is too big for what each injector gives. so in order to help a bit with that i also bought the full set of +3 implants.

i still have 50 million free to spend but im gonna stay in the trade hub for now, gonna wait for the courier contract to finish to make a full sale of all the non collectible junk i was saving there. plus i have a lot of blueprints from old career missions so i want to kill some of that manufacturing everything that cannot be used in invention.

dont expect a fat income but it should help me alleviate the losses of the Guristas Event.

UPDATE2:

courier contract hasnt been taken yet. guess i'll have to wait for tomorrow, also found out that you cant make T2 BPCs as an alpha (or that's what it seems, dont know how do the datacores work in that case as they are a material requirement but have the Omega tag), either way the BPC cannot be used by alphas so it would be a waste of resources (i think).

thanks to the first injector i was able to get some more fitting space to get a passive tanked merlin for missioning

[Merlin, Simulated Merlin]

Mark I Compact Capacitor Power Relay

Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Antimatter Charge S x11400

the Power Relay  and the CCC rig is just to get cap stability running everything just in case i need to keep range against fast targets. it may change later on, as far as L1 missions go it does it nicely without having to switch resistances or anything like that. the purpose of missioning is still for standing rather than money making. the 75 mm rails were the only turrets avaliable for fitting, even the lowest blasters were too high in powergrid, besides, i had to get enough powergrid to add the damage rig.

it gets 50 DPS so its more or less fine, could get it higher with skills but im currently focused on missiles. if there's still plenty of SP avaliable for learning it i could invest into gunnery for T2 hibrids.

now im doing resource wars to get that skin again, there's not much to do honestly.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:17:05 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

spent the rest of the time doing Resource Wars to get the skin for the merlin again. really weird how the empire ores appear in the ledger with an aprox value despite not having any actual use for players outside of putting them on the NPC hauler.

anyways, got the skin and reprocessed the rest of the stuff to see if would get an extra income out of it but without good reprocessing skills is, meh. second injector consumed, got to maximize mosto f the targetting skills, along with adding some more points to shield and scanning skills. the last leftover helped me save 3 hours of training for missile launcher operation 4. and rockets 4 has been added to the queue.

still no 1 million SP, so i guess i can still fill some important stuff before delving deeper into tank and weaponry. if not, it may help to alleviate the engineering skills (in the case i really need to squish that extra CPU or Powergrid).

contract hasnt been taken yet so im currently returning to the mission hub.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those fitting skills are really important. A lot of fits depend on them being maxed/at max alpha level.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those fitting skills are really important. A lot of fits depend on them being maxed/at max alpha level.

i know, i dont really want to get really tight fittings where only decimal values are left for anything but im not sure if squishing some of those CPU/PG skills up to 5 would help taking in account the large stretch of time required to complete it. but if i must, well, i'll have to wait for them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait until a fit needs Advanced Weapon Upgrades 5. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9