Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should I run?  (Read 1806 times)

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I run?
« on: March 17, 2018, 07:19:40 am »

I have been wanting to run a game for a while, but I haven’t been sure what to run, I’ve tried to run games before and on more than one occasion they’ve died before even starting, which I hope you can see how that can be somewhat disheartening.
So instead of hoping that whatever I try to run is popular enough to actually start, I thought I’d ask you guys (and gals (and individuals who don’t fit neatly as one or the other)) what you’d like to play.

Here are all the games I’ve designed and have written down the rules for:

Speedfreakz:
Speedfreakz is a racing game with programming and push-your-luck elements.
You take control of rickety rust-buckets with overcharged engines; as you can imagine they aren’t the easiest to keep from crashing, will you be able to tame these mechanical monstrosities or will you become another pile of smoldering wreckage?
Rules can be found here.
Additionally I’ve been tinkering with some rules to convert it into something a bit more Mario-Kart-esque, once I’m sure the base rules work I can start adding some of them, if anyone actually wants the additional rules.

Sovereign of Stories:
A collaborative card-driven storytelling game where players vie for control of the position of storyteller, both to take the story the way they want, but also to score points.
Rules can be found here.

GUSTS (Generic Universal Strategy and Tactics System):
A system for running battles with rules for both the battles as well as the complex dance of positioning and maneuvering that occurs before the battle. Allows unit customization and with more playtesting I can start adding more options.
Rules can be found here.

Xeladanian Poker:
A card game that uses a standard pack of playing cards (ie french, or poker, etc.). Takes elements from multiple Poker games to create a game that can be quickly understood, assuming some level of familiarity with other poker games; while also allowing your actions to have a greater impact on the other players.
Rules can be found here.

Scrapyard:
Another card game using a standard deck of playing cards. The aim of the game is to collect as many sets of three as you can, while either trying to avoid being left with the extras, or make a hand of five with them.
Rules can be found here.

I also have some games that don’t have all their rules written up yet, if people are interested I'll happily add them to the list, and if people are interested in them that should probably give me the the push to finish writing them.

Also, if there are other games that people would like to see run I could have a look at them. I'm more likely to be interested in running something if it has interesting gameplay mechanics, and less likely to run something that is basically free-form roleplay.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: What should I run?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 10:20:44 pm »

GUSTS

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:40:00 pm »

SOVEREIGN OF STORIES
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:26:49 am »

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:15:59 am »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:52:10 am »

Speedfreakz
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:01:03 am »

I change to Speedfreakz
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:06:38 pm »

GUSTS

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:26:08 am »

Ok so I have a mix of games wanting to be played, which is cool, for some of them I might wait a bit longer to see if we can get enough interest in this thread to make sure we have enough people to play.

However GUSTS can be played with as few as two people and the GM can be one of them, so for those who are interested in GUSTS there are some questions:
Should we start with a basic 1v1 100 point skirmish on a pair of 5-by-5s, or should we start a slightlymore complex match?
Do you wish to play against one another, or against myself?
Do you have your own unit images, or would you like me to find something for you, and if so, what would you like?

The current count for who wants what:
GUSTS: Puppygaurd, bloop_bleep, Shaowclaw777,
Sovereign of Stories: theroleplayGal, Rockeater (I can probably run multiple different games)
Speedphreakz: King Zultan, Rockeater

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:53:50 am »

You guys still interested?
Should I just make the GUSTS thread now or should we make some of the decisions here so it doesn't clog up the game thread?