Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frequent Crashes on Ubuntu 16.04  (Read 1088 times)

migs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Frequent Crashes on Ubuntu 16.04
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:48:39 am »

I have been playing the game on Ubuntu 16.04 for the past few days, and recently the game started freezing and crashing at, what seems to me, absolutely random moments. Autosave has spared me the headache of rebuilding my current fort from scratch, but right now it's almost impossible for me to play for more than a few dozens of minutes without a crash.
I'm playing 0.44.07 with no mods or texture packs, the fort I've been playing on at the moment has some 120 dwarfs, 5-10 visitors, currently there are also some 30-40 mounted gobbos and trolls sieging the fort, 20-30 animals, no traders at the moment of most crashes, frame rate was at a stable 75 ~ 100, with no major drops, most crashes happened when the game was paused or when I clicked to unpaused.
I wasn't able to find anything to fix nor remedy this issue and I hope here I can at least get an idea of how to fix it.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frequent Crashes on Ubuntu 16.04
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:36:04 pm »

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Dwarf Fortress?

With a large fortress the 64-bit version could help with memory-related crashes.

Which Print Mode are you using?

The config file is set to "2D" by default, but you might try "STANDARD" to see if it helps.

Difference between STANDARD and 2D print modes:
    Using TrueType fonts for menus require 2D print mode.
    Using NEAREST interpolation for TEXTURE_PARAM requires STANDARD (or TWBT) print mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »

Yeah linux version is crashy right now (since 44.06, probably).

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10615

Comment from Toady at the bottom too, so it is being worked on (at least it was, probably not much happening this week with GDC going on).

migs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 07:18:37 pm »

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Dwarf Fortress?

With a large fortress the 64-bit version could help with memory-related crashes.

Which Print Mode are you using?

The config file is set to "2D" by default, but you might try "STANDARD" to see if it helps.

Difference between STANDARD and 2D print modes:
    Using TrueType fonts for menus require 2D print mode.
    Using NEAREST interpolation for TEXTURE_PARAM requires STANDARD (or TWBT) print mode.

1- 64 bit, fort is a standart sized embark (4x4 on world map, I believe), small word, short history, fort just reached 2 years of age
2- Didn't change it, so I expect it's "2D".

Yeah linux version is crashy right now (since 44.06, probably).

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10615

Comment from Toady at the bottom too, so it is being worked on (at least it was, probably not much happening this week with GDC going on).

Welp, that's crappy, guess I'll wait for the next update.

Thank you both for your responses.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:22:08 pm »

Yeah, GDC landed and unfortunately I won't be able to handle it this upcoming week, but it's a top priority for a quick-as-possible release upon my return.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!