Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....  (Read 12987 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 07:10:26 pm »

Are we seriously having that argument again over whether or not it is ethical to write certain data to certain locations in a computer's memory?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:23:12 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 07:16:53 pm »

Who even mentioned ethics?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 07:21:53 pm »

Who even mentioned ethics?
You said it was "disturbing" that some players press certain keys on their keyboards in such a way that certain bits in a computer's RAM are changed.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »

I don't give a damn what they push on their keyboards, it's the fucking meme that they post here that's properly disturbing.

ShaveDaWookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 07:35:53 pm »

correct me if im wrong, but i thought the elfs were cannibals and slavers. Last i checked it was OK to kill cannibals and slavers. Since were playing as dwarfs its also canon to shit on elfs, its roleplay baby.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 07:37:53 pm »

I'm appreciating the irony that Egan_BW's sigtext says "Why not? It's a sort of roleplaying game!"

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 07:41:22 pm »

Some people just don't have the stomach to be a true dwarf, I guess.

But to the point of the original post: This raiding is going to be even more useful than trading, cause God knows the elves never actually bring me any animals I'd actually WANT. The amount of times I've hoped for a giant lion or some other predator and gotten a badger is truly staggering. Also the fact I can send out a raiding party any time I please rather than waiting for the caravan

Actually, depending on how many animals you get back and how often, could this be an even better alternative to hunting?
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »

I would say that while unicorns are a easy cash cow, and you have to beat up a lot of giant animals and lunatics wearing wood armor you're still missing the point of where the real value lies.

If you're prepared to take on challenging opponents, beakdogs also with [PET] and a meager [PETVALUE:50] are chickens on STEROIDS, egg laying, gizzard stone dropping & bountiful bones. If you're prepared to fight goblins wearing iron & a legion of trolls they're well worth it.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »

Can we please not dogpile Egan ? That'd be supercool.

I have no love for animals and I'm for the commerce of fur, but when I see a kid putting needles in a living frog I find that utterly disturbing. Feel free to disagree as much as you want but debating over what we find tasteful is pointless.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 08:16:19 pm »

I'm appreciating the irony that Egan_BW's sigtext says "Why not? It's a sort of roleplaying game!"
Now that's just petty. So I'll be petty back and say that you misquoted it despite it being right in front of you.

ShaveDaWookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 09:10:41 pm »

Can we please not dogpile Egan ? That'd be supercool.

I have no love for animals and I'm for the commerce of fur, but when I see a kid putting needles in a living frog I find that utterly disturbing. Feel free to disagree as much as you want but debating over what we find tasteful is pointless.

The thing is, they're not living.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 09:23:45 pm »

And it disturbs me regardless. What are you trying to achieve with that conversation? Look, in the world, there are people with different opinions than yours and it is okay.
People exploring themes  like genocide or rape, I find tasteless. You can discuss that as much as you want, it is to me the epitome of tasteless and remains disturbing in my eyes. Explaining it further is probably a loss of time so I'll leave that to rest, cheers
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:29:34 pm by Cathar »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »

Now that's just petty. So I'll be petty back and say that you misquoted it despite it being right in front of you.

I wasn't trying to be petty; I was making an off-topic remark that I did not intend to have any bearing on the conversation.

And it disturbs me regardless. What are you trying to achieve with that conversation? Look, in the world, there are people with different opinions than yours and it is okay.
People exploring themes  like genocide or rape, I find tasteless. You can discuss that as much as you want, it is to me the epitome of tasteless and remains disturbing in my eyes. Explaining it further is probably a loss of time so I'll leave that to rest, cheers

Problem is, manipulating the charges of a few transistors on a RAM chip, actually isn't equivalent to genocide or rape. If somebody gets a sadistic sense of satisfaction from watching entire (virtual, nonreal) races die on his computer screen, that would indeed be disturbing to pretty much everyone, myself included. If, however, they are simply roleplaying it, i.e. doing what the character they're playing as would do, I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. If you get queasy or disturbed, sure, I get it, but don't judge other people if they don't.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »

Elf hate is not disturbing, it is a sign of a fully functional and matured dwarf. They restrict our wood, they eat our dead and they expand unchecked. We must cut them down. But, before we do, wouldn't the animals you capture not be tamed for dwarves? It might be more beneficial to keep trading first, THEN wipe them out.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6