Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....  (Read 11862 times)

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:41 am »

I really like the idea of being able to acquire and start breeding beak dog livestock. I would enjoy being able to acquire ice wolves from our goblin buddies, too, but I don't think that as of right now goblins domesticate them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 11:45:40 am »

I really like the idea of being able to acquire and start breeding beak dog livestock. I would enjoy being able to acquire ice wolves from our goblin buddies, too, but I don't think that as of right now goblins domesticate them.

They work completely fine with modding in such cases as [PET_EXOTIC] for evil glacier goblins, the wolves themselves are just slightly larger than dogs & regular wolves faintly broaching under the size of a dwarf. I confused toady because i applied [ANIMAL] controls to group together pet creatures for the forces of evil whilst i was explaining to him a workaround for the pets.

Lets hope he will pay more attention to casting the net wider on [EVIL] & [GOOD] creatures now that you can actively acquire them from looting more readily.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 05:19:26 pm »

We're on the same page really, imho.

Yeah, and yeah I know how it goes. People had a stressful discussion with SJW types somewhere else in the forum, they read what we wrote in diagonal, and didn't wait to understand what we meant before mobbing up for round two. I'll watch what I say more closely but I'd appreciate being read before being jumped if it doesn't bother.

We talked about taste, not about victims. I don't know how to make it simpler to get. I smoke entire anthills out of my backyard, I'd still be disturbed by people using lenses to burn individual ants. And you can advocate all day that nobody give a damn about a grilled ant, ants are an invasive and they themselves don't really care, as a spectator it is still disturbing.

I don't even think we disagree, and people that has gone haywire were not even concerned by that offhand comment.

PS : You can disagree and still be a ok dude
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:46:10 pm by Cathar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 10:45:11 am »

In a time before time, Urist came into existence with dreams of ruling the world.  With extreme prejudice, "I just want to watch the world burn."

n_ll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »

how does one post go so far off the rails into ethics and philosophy? i remember 40 too, but cant we just let the meme die? arguing amongst ourselves over reddit trolls? who cares? it just seems immature to point fingers and and.. sigh, idk. i just dont want this forum to become another festering dump in the web. we are better than this and smarter than the rest :)

we play and are actively involved in one of the most ambitious simulation projects currently in development. a development that has been going strong for years! sure theres bound to be some bugs and weirdness but evolve and wake up. of course we all agree that real genocide is evil. of course we all agree that this is about a game. but its also (imho) an annoying meme that im ready to bury. we need to stop arguing over dumb shit. now back to !!SCIENCE!! ?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 12:35:25 pm »

Yes please.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:29 pm »

Apparently 3 pages of discussion about elves and their place in the world happened since I last posted.

Did the OP conduct raiding science as of yet?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:31 pm »

Just slightly off topic,
I work in a water laboratory and we conduct bacteriological and botanical (algae) testing under microscopes. I was giving some VIP tours through the lab and our botany/algae lab is very popular because, hey, it’s expensive microscopes and little green things wandering around infront of your eyes. I’ve given dozens of these tours! So this one guy was watching the algae frolic and roll around infront of him, and he asks one of the lab techs, “Do you have any peroxide?”, and she says “Yes, of course”.

“Great”, says the VIP, “Can we kill these now?”

Her smile and all pleasure dropped out of her face, “What… while you watch?”, she asked. Now, to bear in mind, it goes without saying that utterly everything in their lab is sterilised and disinfected every day. The lab staff discard used, fresh samples down the sink. Used slides and contaminated gear sterilised or disinfected without care. That’s just what you had to do to run a tidy commercial laboratory. But the fact that this guy deliberately wanted to squirt some peroxide into the slide while he watched – and he DID WATCH as the solution washed over them – and he kept watching for a long time after they slowed and stopped moving. The lab girls were sickened, and even I was completely thrown off for the rest of the tour.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 01:08:36 am »

I'm building up my fort, minding my own business, I have a completely cordial trade with the elves, give them a wide profit margin, buy some Giant Bushtits from them, I decide "Oh these elves aren't that bad, look at these lovely pets I can use for a strong egg laying industry". Who could be unhappy with people that sell you giant versions of these guys?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I begin to think that perhaps I'll try to be diplomatic with the elves. I wasn't cutting down many trees and I didn't expect to need to in the immediate future, I'm sure we can find common ground.

Fast forward a few months. My clutch of giant bushtits have finally hatched, to my delight. However, in the confusion of trying to reassign pens for the new hatchlings, the mother manages to run off from my fortress. A dwarf chases after her, and looses sight of her over the hill. When the dwarf reaches the top of that hill, he finds the bushtit dead. A squad of ambushing elves stood over her corpse. These degenerate hypocrites had declared war for no reason whatsoever, despite my attempts at diplomacy, despite them never even attempting to negotiate a forestry treaty, killed a defenseless creature for no reason (one with nature my ass), and invaded my lands. I've never sent a raiding party out for them, I've never done anything at all to provoke them, and yet they've sent ambush siege after ambush siege towards my fortress. Now I'm clear-cutting the forest and using the charcoal to power my forges. If they refuse to meet me halfway I'll go Isenguard on this place.

Elves are hypocritical murderers and as far as I'm concerned they're nothing more than fodder for training my militia. I just wish they'd be good enough to send cleanup crews to recover the bodies, I've got elf bones filling up every refuse stockpile that I make. At least the elves can make use of these corpses, maybe have them for lunch.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:11:46 am by Mort Stroodle »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2018, 06:02:47 am »

Can we please not dogpile Egan ? That'd be supercool.
Normally I'd agree, but I can't exactly blame people for doing so, given that Egan was being abrasive and rude.

People don't exactly like being told they are bad people, or are sociopathic, for doing certain things in a fictional setting, despite the fact irl we'd find it completely abhorrent.
Sure, some of it is tasteless and it derails discussions when it pops up, which is rather annoying, but one can't help but appreciate some of the more petty and comical poke-the-poodle type things players do, like surrounding their trade depots with display cases holding masterwork wooden crafts.
The way they phrased their initial post with "these upper boards", I think you'd also excuse people for thinking Egan has some kind of disdain for the users here. I don't think any of the users in this thread go on lower board threads, which Egan seems to frequent more often than "these upper board" ones, to shit on the people there, but here we are.

Not gonna go into the elf stuff further since all the reasons why people dislike them to begin with, along with the reasons the meme even exists, have been laid out. It only really seems to have died down because elf diplomats seem to be somewhat borked and only appear very rarely, so few of the newer players really see their dialogue when they demand for you to stop cutting trees down.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:45 am »

I really want to put this to rest please. Can't we just say we're all dicks at times and just move on from that absolutely sterile discussion. Whatever you think we were discussing, you are totally right and we're totally wrong. I give one internet for the dogpile crew for their victory, now lets bury that and move on
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:47:06 am by Cathar »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:16 am »

I really want to put this to rest please. Can't we just say we're all dicks at times and just move on from that absolutely sterile discussion. Whatever you think we were discussing, you are totally right and we're totally wrong. I give one internet for the dogpile crew for their victory, now lets bury that and move on
t. Thelire Cetaeta

Have you done any experiments with the tameness of animals, yet? Do the stolen animals come in tame, or do they need to be tamed? Are there any loyalty cascade problems from animals with dual loyalty?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2018, 07:26:49 am »

Not yet, massive lack of time, but I'll have time to do some raid science this weekend. I'll report what I have if no one does it before I do

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2018, 09:20:19 am »

I'm building up my fort, minding my own business, I have a completely cordial trade with the elves, give them a wide profit margin, buy some Giant Bushtits from them, I decide "Oh these elves aren't that bad, look at these lovely pets I can use for a strong egg laying industry". Who could be unhappy with people that sell you giant versions of these guys?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I begin to think that perhaps I'll try to be diplomatic with the elves. I wasn't cutting down many trees and I didn't expect to need to in the immediate future, I'm sure we can find common ground.

Fast forward a few months. My clutch of giant bushtits have finally hatched, to my delight. However, in the confusion of trying to reassign pens for the new hatchlings, the mother manages to run off from my fortress. A dwarf chases after her, and looses sight of her over the hill. When the dwarf reaches the top of that hill, he finds the bushtit dead. A squad of ambushing elves stood over her corpse. These degenerate hypocrites had declared war for no reason whatsoever, despite my attempts at diplomacy, despite them never even attempting to negotiate a forestry treaty, killed a defenseless creature for no reason (one with nature my ass), and invaded my lands. I've never sent a raiding party out for them, I've never done anything at all to provoke them, and yet they've sent ambush siege after ambush siege towards my fortress. Now I'm clear-cutting the forest and using the charcoal to power my forges. If they refuse to meet me halfway I'll go Isenguard on this place.

Elves are hypocritical murderers and as far as I'm concerned they're nothing more than fodder for training my militia. I just wish they'd be good enough to send cleanup crews to recover the bodies, I've got elf bones filling up every refuse stockpile that I make. At least the elves can make use of these corpses, maybe have them for lunch.

Perhaps make a memorial statue to your bushtit that is decorater in (elf) bone?

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2018, 02:25:48 pm »

What I find odd is that elves being cannibals came from a community game, then toady added it into the game because of community popularization of the idea. I don't even think of them as being cannibals even though I know its in the game, and they were never really designed to be like that until some level of community lens or filter was put onto the game. 

I haven't tried raiding yet, but it does seem interesting that we could take some really high value production livestock through raiding.  Food isn't really an issue, but I could see this being a great boon for leather and bone crafting. Maybe interesting for war animal training too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6