Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Raid findings  (Read 8368 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raid findings
« on: March 17, 2018, 08:22:57 pm »

I've decided to make a fortress full of pillage warriors who refuse to forage and brew. Instead, they have demanded tribute from some nearby human and other settlements, and are pillaging a local tower and kobold pits.

I have decided to avoid antagonizing large dwarf, human and goblin civilisations so far.

My dwarfs systematically stole about 20 codices from the necromancer tower before they would bring back anything but. Random things; flax, giant axe blade, 25 barrels of beer.

The first tribute arrived and all they brought was a piece of tripe.

The tower population said ~10 but I know from pillaging reports there are several necromancers present and dozens of undead. No prisoners have ever been rescued despite many attempts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raid findings
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 03:41:24 am »

Undead do not count towards the population count. I don't know about non hist fig trolls and ogres, but don't be surprised if a 1 pop dark fortress turns out to have 2000 trolls as well...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:59:39 am »

You can turn off their ability to go after 'important' artifacts like books/actual artifacts by messing with the controls on a mission with (d) for details. Trash or store out of reach on display furniture the litany you don't want to keep because it'll risk turning your dwarves into nature tree huggers but i guess its fun.

How about 2526 trolls @PatrikLundell? Taken from Reddit (not mine)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:50:35 am »

Necromancer towers can be effortlessly destroyed by 7 starter dwarves with copper axes.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:22 am »

There is some problems with the raids. A full squad with a couple legendary warriors managed to kill about 500 dwarves in an artifact raid. It was supposed to go smoothly, without detection, it was not a full on assault.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:37:29 am »

There is some problems with the raids. A full squad with a couple legendary warriors managed to kill about 500 dwarves in an artifact raid. It was supposed to go smoothly, without detection, it was not a full on assault.

Intentional, if they fail a roll at sneaking they go loud when detected.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:01:09 pm »

Well, they almost depopulated the entire fortress by trying (and failing) to go stealth, this would not never happen if I tried an assault with the same squad. But I suppose this is going to be fixed with site wide alerts in this next dev cycle.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:15:16 pm »

Maybe they caught them by surprise with a tactical modifier and got lucky?

Perhaps by some means the dwarves made a enourmous stone block donkey to infiltrate the city, and when night fell the dwarves poured out of it slaying everyone within the town.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:33:41 pm »

Maybe they caught them by surprise with a tactical modifier and got lucky?

Perhaps by some means the dwarves made a enourmous stone block donkey to infiltrate the city, and when night fell the dwarves poured out of it slaying everyone within the town.

If killing the population was the objective I wouldn't be complaining. I suppose a squad sent to recover an artifact using stealth would abort the mission if discovered instead of committing genocide.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:35:05 pm »

Well, they almost depopulated the entire fortress by trying (and failing) to go stealth, this would not never happen if I tried an assault with the same squad. But I suppose this is going to be fixed with site wide alerts in this next dev cycle.
So you're saying failed sneak attempts yield greater casualties than successful assault attempts?
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 02:51:47 pm »

So you're saying failed sneak attempts yield greater casualties than successful assault attempts?

Yes, at least once this happened. 

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 03:17:40 pm »

Perhaps tactics also affect how much killing/fighting needs to get done to accomplish an objective, and bad tacticians need their squad to kill a LOT more to achieve the same objective... and maybe a failed attempt at stealth means a really bad tactical position to begin a battle with, it'd make sense to me at least, it essentially becomes a pillaging attempt where they don't get to pick where they start with and the defenders get every advantage now that they've surrounded them.

Only explanation I'd have, at least.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:27 pm »

Failed raid = discovery and having to fight your way out of a dark fortress through 565 trolls.
Failed assault = Picked off a couple of trolls, found assaulting the raised drawbridge to be impossible, went home.
Makes sense to me.
Kind of.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:14:58 pm »

Has anyone manages to rescue a member of their own or other civilization?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:25:18 am »

Has anyone manages to rescue a member of their own or other civilization?
Quite a few people have reported it. Squads often come home with whatever prisoners are at the site they're raiding (can turn that off now at least). Someone on reddit reported rescuing a demon that was being held prisoner by humans. It appealed for Sanctuary and then citizenship a couple of years later.
Pages: [1] 2 3