Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are they still out there: kidnapper, ambusher, thief...?  (Read 808 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are they still out there: kidnapper, ambusher, thief...?
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:09:07 am »

I haven't played for about 2 years, but when I did play, I realized that I hadn't seen them for a long while: goblin ambusher, goblin kidnapper, kobold thief, kobold ambusher, elf ambushing siege.

Goblin ambusher used to be one of the most dangerous enemy. They are probably the only real mondane threat. Only the undead siege or evil fog can be more deadly. Kobold ambusher sounds unrealistic but they did exist. In one of my fortress, the kobold bowman squads ran into a pack of giant keas. The giant sky thieves and the little ground thieves had a good fight.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are they still out there: kidnapper, ambusher, thief...?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:52:17 am »

According to world generation, goblin snatching still happen but i am unsure whether you need to be within a goblin siege trigger first.

I get kobold theives rather regularly though, they are very persistent, but I must admit i've not been seeing any snatchers recently personally but maybe the snatcher range isn't that far as the mysterious caves the kobolds emerge out of to travel in search of loot.

I've never seen a elf siege (beyond the joke that ambushers are invisible initially), its easier to provoke one by raiding a elf-site.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:59:04 am »

- I've seen goblin baby snatchers occasionally (including once in my current fortress, where he arrived with an invasion force). However, I think the reappeared with 0.42.X (never saw any with 0.40.X).
- Kobold thieves appear occasionally, but kobold range is only 10, and most sites have a small pop, so once you've killed a few you're usually out of them. They are persistent, though, with the same ones returning until killed.
- Goblin abushers is not a thing (any more?). It can be changed in the raws, though.
- I've never been at war with elves or humans (or dwarves, for that matter). It might change with the current fortress once I get to raiding.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »

I seem to only meet kidnappers, ambushers, and thieves in Adventurer Mode. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe since sieges are based off of nearby populations now instead of an abstract, generated population, you can only encounter kidnappers, ambushers, and thieves in Fortress Mode if you're nearby a civilization that carries those roles.
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 08:15:37 pm »

Thanks for these information.

I misse the kidnappers. They are the only source of troll fur bags! Maybe I will raid an elf city to see how they siege now.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:00:12 pm »

I don't remember the last time I got a goblin thief.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:49:19 am »

A kobold stole one of my artifacts during swim practice. Eventually I'll track him down and take it back.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:21 am »

Raid the kobold cave!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 04:53:59 pm »

Snatchers and thieves exist and visit.
They do it a lot in my game, but I've got a lot of extra thief and snatcher civs in my worldgens.

Best to boost kobolds as much as possible if you want thieves as you can't see them as neighbors on the embark screen. Not that thieves are very interesting right now. Snatchers at least don't flee the moment they're discovered.