Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pregnancy status on health screen  (Read 1467 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pregnancy status on health screen
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:36:13 pm »

Nothing more than really a trinket suggestion, but a status for animals & sentients that are current pregnant should be represented by a health status.

Inspecting their further health screen would lead to a rough estimation of how many calendar months (represented by 2 seasons for six typically depending on the date) it will be until the baby is delivered, and also oust farm animals with gay partnerships that are unable to get female animals pregnant or vice versa become impregnated to deliver a litter.

A easy check would be to go to the units (v) to (o) screen to look at the condition of its body parts & statuses and see if they are pregnant or not. Egglayers can still lay eggs whilst not pregnant, but store the eggs before laying them while in a pregnant state currently already.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
Re: Pregnancy status on health screen
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:54:10 pm »

The next version of Cavern Keeper will show pregnancies in its "notices" listing alongside health summary and other info.
Klok the Kloker !

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »

The next version of Cavern Keeper will show pregnancies in its "notices" listing alongside health summary and other info.
Useful information, and nice pr, but kind of irrelevant to the suggestions to Toady for features we want him to include in his game.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »

I followed this suggestion and put the feature in my (totally free) plugin - that's the relevance.
Klok the Kloker !

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:19:57 pm »

I wish it was more on-topic for discussion about vanilla, but there's nothing inherently wrong with doing so strainer, i think everybody should relax just a bit. Its fine.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:25 pm »

I'd really like to see this in vanilla to the point I've considered writing my own plugin for DFHack to do it.  I'm pretty sure one exists already, but I digress.

It should be easy enough to add, too.

Some kind of indicator for eggs being fertile would be nice too, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.  I'm pretty sure candling was a thing in antiquity though.  Maybe something that would work after some time had passed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:52 am »

The devs like to do things in nice tidy boxes.  So we'll probably be waiting until the day the devs get round to doing the pregnancy-box, at which point we'll not only get what this threat proposes but everything else even vaguely relates (fertility maluses for age, menopause, tadpoles, midwifes, childbirth complications etc.).

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 04:35:59 pm »

Yeh sorry if my comment was too blaggy, I kept it brief since the suggestion to have access to this information seems simple enough and compelling.

Maybe a starter pack feature but Ive noticed eggs flashing when fertilized and assumed all eggs where fertile, until cooked.
Klok the Kloker !