Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this be possible?  (Read 1337 times)

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
Would this be possible?
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:57 pm »

Create an adventurer, retire them in a fort, and essentially imprison them for their entire time there? Make a sort of maximum security cell that they're forced to spend years in before the inevitable fall of the fort? I know this is possible with vampires, but is there a way to do this with a normal human adventurer without them starving to death from a bad mood?
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would this be possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:00:15 pm »

Create an adventurer, retire them in a fort, and essentially imprison them for their entire time there? Make a sort of maximum security cell that they're forced to spend years in before the inevitable fall of the fort? I know this is possible with vampires, but is there a way to do this with a normal human adventurer without them starving to death from a bad mood?
Unless they're a vampire, they'll starve to death. Unless you're going to feed them, in which case they won't.
And they won't mood unless they're a dwarf.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:43:35 pm »

Unless they're a vampire, they'll starve to death. Unless you're going to feed them, in which case they won't.
And they won't mood unless they're a dwarf.
So humans don't become sluggish and throw tantrums from lack of proper conditions? So I could trap them with a barrel of food and a well of water for say, thirty years, before releasing them later.
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:54 am »

You could also do this with a werebeast or necromancer.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:40 am »

I believe humans can tantrum, but are more resilient than dwarves. If they are fed, have water and some source for good mood, they wont kill themselves. I advise you to keep his armor on tho, normal clothes will decay and he'll end up naked, which causes a lot of stress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:00:12 pm »

What makes you think a single barrel of food would last 30 years? I admit I've never Scienced how much a single human can get through but that seems a bit of a stretch.

As others have said, use something that won't die of hunger, like a vampire or necromancer, or work out a way to get them fed.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:05 pm »

One way to make it work is to simply bucket brigade a room, make a small field out of the mud in his little complex and have him work at his own food. That, plus well, plus metal boots, armor and leggings, and possibly a good quality bed and he'll last as long as his body allows him to.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 03:05:13 am »

Use an elf/goblin instead. Don't die of old age.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »

Barrels can hold 60 prepared meals.  Dwarfs (and I assume humans) eat 1 meal a month.  1 barrel == 5 years of food for one dwarf.  You would need 6 barrels for 30 years.  I agree that it would be easier (that is to say, trivial) to set up a small plump helmet farm.  You would only need 1 tile for the farm.  You should probably have a bag so that you can store the plump helmet spawn in a single tile too.  You should probably have a few tiles for the plump helmet storage because once you run out of storage space, I think you won't be able to harvest, which means you won't be able to plant.  On average each harvest is likely to give them 4-6 months of food, so it's not a massive problem anyway.

If you made a still, a barrel and a chair, you could also set up a quick manager job to make alcohol, so I *think* even a dwarf would be unlikely to go crazy (2 barrels might be smarter, though, because then they don't have to run out of alcohol to make more).  Dwarfs drink twice a month, but each plump helmet will produce 5 alcohol, so you don't need to increase your farm to accommodate it.

To make it even more interesting, you could put an weapon rack in the jail and have your prisoner train every second month so that 30 years later they would be a fearsome fighter and exact revenge on the society that jailed them (which is, I suspect, the point of this exercise???)

Edit: Since this is such a fun idea, I decided to try it (after months of vacationing from DF).  Made a single tile embark, struck the earth to make a jail, found the mother of all coal seams :-)  There will be a slight delay in building the jail.  I *am* a dwarf after all...

Edit 2: And hematite...  Armok, you are a fickle god!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:21:46 pm by mikekchar »

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 06:58:52 am »

You can just build a nice cell with an adjoining closet with a hatch you drop things through.
 I setup a vampire like that once and dropped goblins and such down it. The goblins would break a leg or be subdued by the vampire and drained. I  think I remember throwing animals down there and having the vampire be my animal processor. When the food and other animal products were processed he would drop it down a second hatch and there you go. As a plus the vampire had plenty of blood to drink and I could always release the vampire by opening the hatch when he was standing on it.
 I would recommend finding some fire clay and using your prisoner as a ceramics maker. Or a beekeeper. Also maybe putting a friend in there with him.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 10:04:18 am »

Vampires don't need to drink blood to survive. They will if they can, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 04:29:23 pm »

If the vampire escaped he will be well fed sooner or later so I figured I would try and satisfy the vampire without putting my dwarfs at risk of terminal anemia. It also means that when I need an emergency fighter the vampire will kill all my enemies instead of there being a chance of it stopping to drain the first unconscious creature it sees.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »

If you just want a prisoner, I believe enemies caught in cage traps dont need food or sleep either.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste