Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complex drawbridge mechanics  (Read 1955 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complex drawbridge mechanics
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 04:18:37 pm »

You can use a retracting bridge to block a vertical passage.

True, but OP wanted to use 1 lever to keep 1 passage open while the other closed
Retracting bridges work the same as floodgates when used vertically -- "on" signal opens (retracts) the bridge, while "off" signal closes the bridge. But for raising bridges, an "on" signal closes (raises) the bridge, and an "off" signal opens (lowers) the bridge.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »

Ahh, good to know, thanks. 

Wiki only mentioned raised bridge and floodgate in the fluid logic.  Which is probably the reason for using floodgates there.   

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:16:18 am »

Man, I sat here way too long trying to figure out the combination of doors, floodgates, and bridges that would work here. I actually only figured it out as I started typing:

OP, put raising bridges around your trade depot, with the direction of raising pointing at your trade depot (ie, a bridge placed to the south of your trade depot, however many tiles in the N-S direction but and at least five tiles wide in the E-W direction, that raises to the north -- that will become the south wall of your trade depot), and a retracting bridge along your tunnel entrance (you can also do raising bridges that raise into the walls if you like the trap-door idea but remember they'll open up rather than swinging out and down). Then, when you turn your lever ON, the raising bridges will raise and become walls to block off access to your trade depot, and the retracting bridge will retract and dump the enemies on it into your pit.

In other words: A bridge will become impassable when you pull the lever ON, either by raising and becoming a wall or by retracting (or raising into a wall) and becoming a pit. Doors and floodgates, on the other hand, become passable when you pull the lever ON; they open.

Actually, I misread the original post. Put doors or floodgates around your trade depot and a retracting bridge along your corridor. Leave the lever ON by default and the doors will stay open and the bridge will stay passable. Actually that's not right either. I think it's time for me to go to bed.

I have one takeaway, OP: If you end up using fluid logic, use doors, not floodgates, because floodgates have a delay when they're activated IIRC but doors work instantly.

Uh, if you had a second lever linked to just the bridge, actually... You could start with the both-lever ON, so the doors would be closed and the bridge would be a bridge. Then you could turn the bridge-only-lever OFF, so the doors would stay open and the bridge would... no, wait. You start with the both-lever OFF and then switch the door-only lever to ON so the doors open but the bridge is still a bridge. Then when the siege comes, you pull the door-only bridge so the doors close, then later you pull the both-lever to ON so the bridge becomes a pit and the doors open. Yes, there we go. A second lever linked to only the door, but the first lever still controls both at once, but toggled. Just use two levers, OP.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 [2]