Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotten Tissue from Undead Damage  (Read 1854 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotten Tissue from Undead Damage
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:15 pm »

In a reanimating biome, a miner broke into a cavern full of undead. A troglodyte corpse locked its sights on the unfortunate miner and chased her through half the fortress as the soldiers insisted that they couldn't find a path. The troglodyte corpse beat the miner rather severely before a passing axedwarf beheaded it.

Within a day or two, before the miner could even reach the hospital, she had rotting tissue. Her left arm was its own little miasma generator. A surgeon washed her, and then got a task for removing rotten tissue. Now he's going back for more surgery and the arm is still attached, though heavily swollen.

Has anybody else seen:
1. this quick rot from undead?
2. this inability to kill-target undead from the squad screen?

Edit: After three surgeries she's back on her feet, though she is disgusted from having retched on her own miasma.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:50:08 pm by Leonidas »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten Tissue from Undead Damage
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:43:41 pm »

... as the soldiers insisted that they couldn't find a path...
Was there a message generated, or did they just not respond to the kill order? Was the kill order made by selecting the trog from a list or by targeting it with the cursor or a rectangle? There are probably multiple undead trogs in the caverns and if you list-selected a different one maybe they could not path to it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:01:47 am »

Was there a message generated, or did they just not respond to the kill order? Was the kill order made by selecting the trog from a list or by targeting it with the cursor or a rectangle? There are probably multiple undead trogs in the caverns and if you list-selected a different one maybe they could not path to it.
No message generated. Kill order was from the cursor. The dwarves just ignored the kill order and went back to training. If I freed their barracks, they went to generic Soldiering.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:29:14 am »

And I assume you verified that you actually issued the kill order? I've made the mistake of setting up the kill order but failing to issue the final confirmation a bit too often.

As far as I know undead do not induce any syndromes (unless the base form, such as an FB, was syndrome inducing, and it might be caused through modding as well). I remember necrosis happening to units in vjek's hellish blood boiling rain embark, but think that was more a matter of bad luck than a particular result of the injuries. It could also be that the type of injury had something to do with it (in that embark it was typically bleeding through melting fatty tissue).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:43:35 am »

And I assume you verified that you actually issued the kill order? I've made the mistake of setting up the kill order but failing to issue the final confirmation a bit too often.
Definitely. I had some squads on move orders, too, trying to get somebody in the vicinity to save the miner.

As far as I know undead do not induce any syndromes (unless the base form, such as an FB, was syndrome inducing, and it might be caused through modding as well). I remember necrosis happening to units in vjek's hellish blood boiling rain embark, but think that was more a matter of bad luck than a particular result of the injuries. It could also be that the type of injury had something to do with it (in that embark it was typically bleeding through melting fatty tissue).
I thought it was unusual; that's why I posted it. Watching the combat log, I remember the troglodyte biting the miner at one point. Maybe that bite was what caused the necrosis. The miner also had some hemorrhaging in her upper body and one of her lungs. Even after she escaped, I assumed that she would suffocate.

I've got three caverns packed with over 350 undead, so I'll probably see this again. I wanted to confirm that syndromes from undead is unusual. Next time, I'll try to get pre and post saves.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:46 pm »

And I suspect it's not from the undead as such, but rather from the bleeding injuries that somehow get infected with necrosis. Infection can happen if injuries aren't treated in a timely manner or the water you have isn't clean (or you don't have any water), and I suspect necrosis is a really unlucky case of infection.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:34:13 am »

No, this was very quick. The hemorrhaging was happening during the battle, and the necrosis was before she could get to the hospital.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:46:41 am »

Zombies are usually very strong anyway, im not sure if rotting and miasma speeds up the rotting and miasma process for objects around them but i would not be suprised if this was partially the case.

• In that case, zombies are a banana in a dwarven fruit basket for making things rot.  :P
In which zombies could pose a health risk if  that's true to soldiers with open wounds like you've experienced.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »

Zombies do not cause rot by themselves. Given that it was very quick, it might be possible that she already had necrosis before the encounter.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.