Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods (Chapter 2 - Strange Creatures) (Round 8)  (Read 31171 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »

Oh, makes sense. I'll evolve triproots. I think I'll take the route (root? hehe) of a being the spirit of a single tree

With my new ability to slightly manuever the roots of the trees, the traveler sleeping underneath of me feels some movement. I want her to wake up, to be wary; I do not know who is coming.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:36:27 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 01:37:43 pm »

I am Familliar,but only to the young kitten at sea.
The strange part was the number of rats she helped catch by me.
My charge is named Calico, little daredevil is she.
But I don't particularly mind, since I need company.
My name is Akeraun.
(I am a Familliar bound to a kitten. The kitten flushed out a rat infestation in the ship's pantry. We are out in the open ocean.)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 05:23:40 pm »

I am a Trickster and my name is The Fool. A name that represents potential, but also recklessness.
I am bound to a puppet in the form of a jester, handmade with high detail and care by it's creator. One day, it's original owner abandoned it on a tree, after trying to climb it.
The puppet's strings tangled on the branches of the tree and weeks later, on a particularly windy day, a young boy found his mind lost on the jester's haunting dance to the rythm of the wind currents. He decided to take the jester doll home and keep it, convinced that it was possesed by a jolly spirit.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:16 pm »

Nestled deep within the Great Academy of Chromatic Magic, a forgotten old spellbook binds the nascent demon Shaa. Forgotten, that is, until the day a minor laboratory accident turned a few students into dogs, excepting the one who pulled an old book out of a dusty cupboard, holding it vainly in front of himself like a shield, and somehow the effect was reversed...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »

Nix: Confrontation

I will take Unseen Fangs.

I will also use Shove on the box of silverware before the father enters the room, knocking the silverware onto the floor, and use Unseen Fangs to make him bleed.

As the boy's mother stands up in alarm, the table shakes.  The box of silverware tumbles over and scatters all over the floor.  Her breath catches as the door swings open.
The man staggers unsteadily into the house, smelling of alcohol.  "Look at this mess!  What have you been doing, you useless bitch, I work my arse off all day and come home to find the place looking like an imp's bumhole, you trying to get me killed, you demon-spawned -"
"Calm down, dear. You've been drinking again, just sit down and try and relax-"
"RELAX!  How can I relax when I've got two mouths to feed and the Dragon's lackeys coming around to rob us blind, slaving away in the field so that we don't wind up on sticks like old Melson and his kids!"
"Please, not in front of the child-"
"And YOU!" he shouts at the boy.  "Because of YOU, I have to work twice as hard to keep your sorry...ungrateful..." he slurrs into muttering, "Ought to let the Dragon take you himself, gonna not gotta be easier on all of us, IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU WE WOULDN'T -"
He takes a step forward, raising his fist before staggering drunkenly forward and falling face-down on the forks and knives scattered all over the floor.
"NO!" the boy's mother screams, rushing forward to tend to her fallen husband's wounds.

There is a heavy pot precariously positioned on a shelf right over the husband's head.  If it were to fall...

Spirit Evolution - You may choose one of the two following abilities:
   Soulforge: You temporarily bind yourself to a believer, enhancing their senses and physical abilities.
   Minor Healing: You slightly accelerate a target's natural healing ability.

Spoiler: Nix's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Poultrygeist, Grue, and Aximodus: Triple Trouble at Charlie's Chickens

I Attempt to Start the Gunpowder while the gun faces a chicken.
The gun goes off!  A musket ball strikes a chicken and the poor bird explodes in a spray of blood and feathers.  The chickens fly into a panic and begin running in every direction.  Two of them fly towards Charlie, startling him!

The maw of the grue closes, hiding the void inside. When it opens again, a large eye has replaced the void. The eye scans the area, focusing on the rusty nails.
Cast Unseen Fangs on the rusty nails of the doorframe.
Charlie stumbles backwards and collides with the doorframe.  Three nails scrape against his shin, leaving a wound like a claw mark from some kind of large animal.  He screams in pain and panic and bends over to inspect his wound.

Possess a chicken, and have it tap on the window or door of the farmhouse, attracting the attention of Charlie's wife
A chicken jumps onto the window and begins frantically beating its beak and wings against it.  Charlie's wife opens the window and sticks her head out.  "What's all this racket?"
"Some kind of varmint's broken into the coop!  Scratched my leg bad, it did."
"Did you get 'im?"
"Don't think so.  I think it's still here."  He grabs a pitchfork and hands her a rake.  "Come on out here 'n help me."

Scene elements:
   The gun (empty)
   An oil lantern providing light (outside)
   Some metal pots that can be used for bizarre and improbable ballistics
   A window
   A bunch of chickens (with sharp beaks and claws) running around the yard in panic
   An exploded chicken
   A small latch holding the fence closed
   A bunch of loose, rusty nails sticking out of the doorframe
   Charlie (outside, injured, holding a pitchfork)
   Charlie's wife (outside, holding a rake in one hand and a lit candle in the other)

The Grue gains a new ability: Nocebite

Spoiler: The Grue's Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aximodus's Abilities (click to show/hide)

No One: At Sea

My recommendation to Octavian: Lazulo, Rhodes, Sky, Rosa, and Bruin.

Octavian considers his options.  Lazulo certainly seems like the saner of the ship captains, and besides, Rhodes could provide the muscle in case there's fighting.  Sky appears to be from the Cyan school of religious counseling, judging by his robes, which means he should be handy at keeping Rhodes under control if nothing else - and may be handy at diplomacy with Sinocard as well.  While Octavian is initially wary about bringing a woman aboard the ship - a dainty upper-class or maybe even a noblewoman, judging by her looks, her clothes, and her purse - he reconsiders when he realizes that a berserk fighter and a man of the cloth won't be of much use out in the wilderness.  He briefly considers hiring Gorman as well as Bruin, but is unwilling to part with the last of his coin for a possible fleeting advantage.

With ship and crew, Octavian sets off for the far-off country of Svartwald...

A few days into the journey...

Rhodes and two of the crew members, Calvin and Bran, are starting a new game of Reaper's Triad and are looking for a fourth.  Seems Rhodes has been winning so far, the last player has been forced to quit.  Octavian has been watching them for a while, turning his coin over in his hand.  The box is hidden safely away in Octavian's quarters.
Lazulo is in his quarters.  He has requested not to be disturbed "unless the ship is actually under attack".
Sky is reading a book called "Fixing the Unbroken Light".
Bruin is below deck, playing with a kitten he found.
Lady Rosa is by herself on the upper deck, looking across the ocean.

Spirit Evolution - You can pick one of the following abilities:
   Face Reader: You become very good at reading faces.  It's hard to hide secrets from you.
   Curiosity: You may make a believer curious about something.

Knowledge Influx:
   Reaper's Triad is a card game that rewards audacious decision making and high-stakes countermoves.  Seems Rhodes relies mainly on the first part, since he has a terrible Reaper Face.  Admittedly Octavian isn't a champion at the game, but beating him should be easy with a bit of supernatural help.

Spoiler: No One's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Draoi: A Meeting in the Forest

Oh, makes sense. I'll evolve triproots. I think I'll take the route (root? hehe) of a being the spirit of a single tree

With my new ability to slightly manuever the roots of the trees, the traveler sleeping underneath of me feels some movement. I want her to wake up, to be wary; I do not know who is coming.

The traveler stirs and blinks her eyes.  "Argent?  Is that you?"
"This probably isn't the best place to sleep, my lady."
"There's a Guardian here.  Besides, you know that I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."  She stands up, brushing off her dress.  "Why are you here?  Don't tell me the Red Knights are moving already."
"Not yet, my lady.  Even so, I thought it best to check up on you.  And perhaps to talk you out of your madness, if such a thing is possible."
"If you think it's a possibility, you don't know me nearly as well as I believed.  Besides, we both agreed that cutting off the Enemy's source of power is the surest chance for victory.  Especially if he already has won the heart of the Queen."
"If he has, it may already be too late."
"Not necessarily.  You know how long he has craved dominion over the Eastern Lands.  He will try to manipulate her.  That buys us time - but only if we do not play our hand too soon."
"The Red Knights can get the job done in a night."
"If you think I'm going to allow a band of barely-sane barbarians and fresh recruits to slaughter an entire village of innocents -"
"I know, I know.  I just thought it best to bring up that the option is still on the table, in case your plan goes awry.  When do you expect to begin?"
"I will arrive tomorrow morning, and spend a few days gathering information before revealing myself.  Hopefully I can find something of use."  She pauses for a moment, thinking.  "And what news do you bring of our eight-legged friend?"
He smiles.  "I encountered him crawling about in the South and had a little chat with him.  He told me all he knows, I'm sure of that."
"And?"
"Nothing we didn't know already, I'm afraid.  Seems he let his juicy little catch slip away."
"How irresponsible of him."
"On the contrary, it was a rather clever way of keeping us in the dark."
She considers this for a few moments.  "Did he scream?"
"Horribly."
"I take it he won't be causing any more mischief, then."
"Not for a while, at least.  But I'm sure he has yet to weave his last web of lies."
"You let him go!"
"He is much more useful to us alive than dead.  Incidentally, did you know it's possible to gather Red from monsters?"
"Well, if any man could make a bogey feel fear, I'm sure it's the one standing right in front of me."
"Take care of yourself, Aurelia."
"You too, Argent."

The man slips away into the night.  The woman leans back against the tree.  "You know," she says, "This place could turn out to be rather important in the coming days.  You'll watch over it, won't you?"
She falls back asleep.

Argent is heading Southeast
The village is toward the Northwest

You gain a new ability: Nymphwalk.

Spoiler: Draoi's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Badel: On the Train

Green it is.
Attention,Draw Kevin mind to the green girl and green staff on the train, specifically decorations and the girl's clothing if any of it green.

Kevin turns around.  Both of the girls are wearing gray, just as Kevin himself is, as well as all of the other first-years on the train.  However, one of them does have bright green eyes, a green leaf-shaped hairclip in her dark hair, and a pair of small emerald earrings.  The other has a pale complexion and purple eyes, which are apparently a thing that exists, a purple headband in her light, almost white hair, and an amethyst necklace.  Apparently the school's dress code does not cover minor accessories, or perhaps they just didn't care.
"You two seem to know your stuff," Kevin says as they turn around to look at him.  "I've been reading up on the Six Schools" (that's a lie) "and I've been thinking about going into the Green Class.  Can you tell me a bit about it?  It's about summoning spirits, right?"  He pauses and holds out his hand.  "I'm Kevin, by the way."
The Green girl grins.  "Esme," she says.  "And there's a lot more to being a Green than just summoning spirits.  You're from an achromatic family, I take it?"
"Uh..."
"It's fine, there's nothing to be worried about," she says.  "Amy and I come from long lines of chromatics.  I'm from a Green family, and she's, well, she's Magenta.  It's pretty much a given that we're going to wind up picking our family schools.  But you're new.  You shouldn't go jumping to join a school just yet - they don't even let you pick one until you've completed all of your introductory courses."
"Oh.  Well, that's a relief, I guess."
Esme motions for Kevin to come over and sit with them.  Amy looks a bit annoyed, but she doesn't say anything.
"Anyway," she says, "As I was saying, Green isn't just about summoning spirits - though it is true that we get the best summons."
"Only because you can't do anything on your own."
"Quiet, you.  The truth is, the Green school is mainly about harmony.  Balance.  Peace between humans, nature, and spirits.  That's why we get the best summons - all of the schools can bond with spirits, but we Greens specialize in creating bonds with spirits stronger than ourselves.  As Amy will gladly tell you, that's a pretty big no-no for the Magenta school of thought."
"Rule number one of summoning: Never summon anything you can't dismiss."
"Exactly.  That's because the Magenta school is all about control.  But Greens prefer to befriend their spirit companions.  So relative power level isn't so big an issue.  We even have a trick called a soulforge, where we allow a familar to use our own bodies as a vessel - the same way many other spirits will bond with an inanimate object."  Amy visibly shudders at the thought.  Esme smiles widely.  "Also, we're pretty good at healing, growing plants, and communicating with animals.  So there's that to look forward to."
"I see."  Kevin thinks about this for a while.  "But how do you 'befriend' a spirit?  What do humans have that spirits like?"
"You can't." Amy says bluntly.
"Actually, it's pretty easy if you know what to look for.  It kind of gets into the whole philosophy of why there are spirits in the first place, and what they are exactly, but..."
"We have arrived at our destination," a voice says.  "Everybody line up and exit the train in an orderly fashion.  Welcome to the Great Academy of Chromatic Magic."

Spoiler: Badel's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Akeraun: Cat
I am Familliar,but only to the young kitten at sea.
The strange part was the number of rats she helped catch by me.
My charge is named Calico, little daredevil is she.
But I don't particularly mind, since I need company.
My name is Akeraun.
(I am a Familliar bound to a kitten. The kitten flushed out a rat infestation in the ship's pantry. We are out in the open ocean.)
Calico is nestled in a small hole, looking out at an enormous hulk of a man holding his hand out.  "Come on out, kitty," he says.  "I'm not going to hurt you."

Spirit Evolution - You may choose one of the following abilities:
    Soulforge: You temporarily bind yourself to a believer, enhancing their senses and physical abilities.
    Confusion: You cause a weak-willed target to become momentarily confused.

Spoiler: Akeraun's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Shaa and The Fool will be included in the next update.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 04:01:07 pm »

I Shall increase the strength of the flame of the Candle his wife holds.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 04:11:18 pm »

I'm thinking face reading.

Octavian should play a bit of Triad (not a whole lot, mind you, but enough to get maybe 5 or 10 gold back), but I think he should also do some talking with Sky and Rosa. Then, when that's all done, I want to get to Bruin. Companionship would be nice.

EDIT: is Akeraun Bruin's cat?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:54:05 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »

Not a lot to do now, Attention on Kevin's books and learning metirial.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:32:31 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 04:50:49 pm »

Shove Charlie's Wife into the gore of the exploded chicken
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 05:36:55 pm »

(silver and gold eh? i didn't pick up on it with the color of the dialogue right away XP)

I Nymphwalk from my tree for the first time. The mere act of separating from my tree, even momentarily, seems to make me feel less powerful. Neverless I take a look in my immediate area to see what lies around me. I do my best not to wake up Aurelia.

(Can I speak? Would they understand my language?)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:06 pm »

The Grue stares at the pitchfork in the man's hand, then the rake in the woman's hand, and finally resting on the chicken coop.
Cast Nocebite on the man as they're approaching the coop.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »

Use my aura of calm to reassure Calico, and make sure man won't hurt her.
I will go for Confusion. I hope soulforge pops up later though, since it seems like it could be quite fun to be the kitten for a bit.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:40:25 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51:06 pm »

I shall take Soulforge.

Shove the pot onto the father's head. End this.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 08:11:31 am »

I am Nami, and I was brought into being by Abelia, a mute neophyte at the Great School of Magic.
Abelia spent most of the train journey worrying over the prospect of fitting in at a place where knowledge of sign language was likely to be a rarity. However, her fears were allayed by the making of a friend; a fellow student who seemed capable of correctly deducing her intentions most of the time. Did this surprising capability merely reflect a high level of sensitivity, or could there have been more to it than met the eye?

My form is that of a levitating translucent sphere from which numerous fine tendrils emerge before extending towards human minds in the vicinity. One such tendril is firmly rooted within the mind of my first believer, and will act as her access point to what shall eventually grow into a sophisticated telepathy network. The other tendrils are currently underdeveloped and will hence only allow for one-way transmission of the most primitive thoughts and emotions.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16