Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods (Chapter 2 - Strange Creatures) (Round 8)  (Read 31155 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

You think, therefore you are.  Hold that thought, it won't last long.

For every newborn god that realizes itself in a world ripe for shaping, uncountable numbers pop into existence in universes already claimed.  Few last for more than a few moments before returning to the void from whence they came.

But where there is belief, there is magic.  And in some places, even the slightest flash of inspiration, happy coincidence, or bump in the night may be blamed on a spirit.

You are a newly aware spirit.  To be more specific, you are a preta, a hungry ghost with barely enough mana to sustain your own existence, let alone make much of an impact on the world around you.  But if you're lucky, you won't be that way for long.

The good news is that you happened to materialize in a village inhabited by some rather superstitious folk.  Perhaps if you play your cards right, you may be able to accumulate believers and rise above your current meager state.

Your first action will be to determine your name and a small, coincidental event that a superstitious villager might blame on a spirit. Through this, you will acquire belief, which will become mana, which will give you greater abilities.

Mana comes in three colors.  The way humans see you affects the kind of mana you acquire.

Red mana is acquired by humans believing in your power and is used for creating active magical effects.
Green mana is acquired through acts of benevolence and is useful for influencing humans and gaining more followers.
Blue mana is acquired by demonstrating wisdom and is important for perception, reaction time, and knowledge acquisition.

You may also choose a basic form, which may affect the way you are perceived.  Your form will become more elaborate as you gain belief.  Your form is not fixed, but it will become harder to change the more powerful you become.

Basic Classes (exact details may vary):
Monster (power)
Guardian (power+benevolence)
Familiar (benevolence)
Guide (benevolence+wisdom)
Trickster (wisdom)
Demon (wisdom+power)

Players:
Nix (NRDL) (Guardian)
No one (Glass) (Guide)
The Grue (Puppyguard) (Monster)
Poultrygeist (TamerVirus) (Monster)
Aximodus (crazyabe) (Demon)
Draoi (Icefire2314) (Guardian)
Badel (Rockeater) (Guide)
Akeraun (Dustan Hache) (Familiar)
The Fool (randomgenericusername) (Trickster)
Shaa (Maximum Spin) (Demon)
Nami (Atomic Chicken) (Guide)
Vigil (sprinkled chariot) (Familiar)
Arbus (Kamani) (Familiar)

New players may join mid-game.  However, to streamline the story, it is recommended to manifest in a location nearby an existing player.

Chapter 1: Ghostly Wisps
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4

Chapter 2: Strange Creatures
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8

Ideal areas for a new player to join:
The Village
The Forest (near the Village)
The Forest (near the Camp)
The Great Academy of Magic
The Open Ocean

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:36 am »

My name is Nix. My first believer will be a small child, whose drunken abusive father will be distracted from his nightly rages by a dish falling off the shelf.  Perhaps the child will believe I protect him. With enough faith, I shall.

My form is that of a dog. An absolute mutt, mixed breed, every dog you've ever known rolled into one.

((This alright?))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:35:28 am »

Yes, that's a good example.  You may also name human NPCs relevant to your origin.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:22 am »

Who am I?
No one. Not that it would matter greatly regardless.
But there’s a local leader - runs the Merchant’s Guild, maybe? Or perhaps he’s one of the sailors... - who keeps a lucky talisman on him. Not to any god in particular, just a lucky coin, old enough that it’s been roughed until the face on it is blank. He holds it when he’s not sure what to do, and he does so until he is.
Maybe we can make that happen a bit faster?

(Guide, just to make it clear.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:51:39 pm »

What am I?
I am the Grue.
A child disappeared into the night, probably eaten by a coyote. But maybe, just maybe the villagers will blame it on a spirit.
My form is that of a shadowy ghost with a toothed mouth instead of a face.

(Monster just to make clear.)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:02:20 pm »

What am I?
I am Aximodus.
A Fire burnt down a field two villagers were arguing over the ownership of.
My form is that of a red skinned man with horns, old of body but strong of mind.
(Demon)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »

Who am I?
I am the Poultrygeist
Albert was the local butcher, specializing in fresh chicken and related poutry. One careless day, Al slipped and fell onto
his knife and bleed out in his kitchen, surrounded by pieces raw chicken and the one lucky bird spared by providence. Was it all an unfortunate accident...or something more?

My Form.
A red, misty swirl of feathers and blood
(Monster)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:50:37 pm »

My name is Draoi.
My first follower will be a villager who was chased down by a pack of wolves. Cornered against a tree, the villager thought it was his end, but as the wolves approached him, they became more docile and eventually sat nearby him and fell asleep under the tree.

(did I do this right? Also, I'd like for my form to be that of a dryad or treekin, who is capable of living within the trees. Is that acceptable? I'd be able to move both within and without trees, but I'm usually found within a tree.
edit: just read that it becomes more complex as we grow stronger. so I guess I'll start as a tree for now :P)

Also I'm a guardian; I'm assuming that the coloring gives it away
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:08:06 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 04:23:23 pm »

Who am I?
I am Badel.
It was an ordinary day for Kevin until he walked home, before the last crossroad he heard his pan fall, in the time it took him to pick the pen up a car was speeding from around the corner, It would have hit him.It could have been statistic, or maybe something else.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:29 am »

Nix:
My name is Nix. My first believer will be a small child, whose drunken abusive father will be distracted from his nightly rages by a dish falling off the shelf.  Perhaps the child will believe I protect him. With enough faith, I shall.

My form is that of a dog. An absolute mutt, mixed breed, every dog you've ever known rolled into one.
The sun is going down.  A boy waits in his room.  He is afraid - his father will be home soon.  He turns an idea over in his mind - perhaps it would be best if he just ran away from home. If it wasn't for his mother, he would have left long ago.  "What should I do, Nix?" he says aloud, speaking to his imaginary friend - a dog that only he can see.  "I want to leave, but I'm afraid."

Abilities:
   Shove: You can impart a small force on physical objects.
   Comforting Aura: Your presence brings a sense of safety, instilling confidence in believers.

Draoi:
My name is Draoi.
My first follower will be a villager who was chased down by a pack of wolves. Cornered against a tree, the villager thought it was his end, but as the wolves approached him, they became more docile and eventually sat nearby him and fell asleep under the tree.

A traveler wrapped in a pale yellow robe walks alone through a forest.  Due to some unexpected setbacks, she is several hours behind schedule.  The sun is setting, and she is still many hours from the village.  It is dangerous to travel at night - there are bandits on the road, wolves in the forest, or - perhaps - even worse, nameless things.  But staying to make camp may prove to be an even greater danger.  She wavers, undecided.  Wasn't there an old story about the trees in this place?

Abilities:
   Calming Aura: Your presence creates a powerful sense of calm, reducing the likelihood of conflict in your presence.
   Bound Form (Tree): Your presence is currently bound to a particular tree.  This increases your influence, but renders you unable to move independently.

Spirit Evolution:  You may choose to change Bound Form to one of the following:
   Genius Loci: Further increase your influence around your particular tree, and draw human attention toward it.
   Tree Affinity: Allows you to move freely, but cancels Bound Form.  Your influence increases among trees, but decreases away from trees.

Poultrygeist:
Who am I?
I am the Poultrygeist
Albert was the local butcher, specializing in fresh chicken and related poutry. One careless day, Al slipped and fell onto
his knife and bleed out in his kitchen, surrounded by pieces raw chicken and the one lucky bird spared by providence. Was it all an unfortunate accident...or something more?

My Form.
A red, misty swirl of feathers and blood
(Monster)
Charlie the farmer is eating dinner with his wife when he hears a thumping noise and the sound of panicked chickens coming from his coop.  He excuses himself from the table and grabs his musket.  "Who's there?  You'd better get off my property, or I'll blow your brains out!"

Abilities:
   Shove: You can impart a small force on physical objects.
   Chicken Affinity: Your influence increases around chickens, but decreases away from chickens.

Spirit Evolution: You may choose one of the following abilities:
   Possess Chicken: You may directly control the behavior of a single chicken, or vaguely influence the behavior of several.
   Guardian of Chickens: Chickens become aware of your presence and you may gain mana from their trust in you.

The Grue:
What am I?
I am the Grue.
A child disappeared into the night, probably eaten by a coyote. But maybe, just maybe the villagers will blame it on a spirit.
My form is that of a shadowy ghost with a toothed mouth instead of a face.

(Monster just to make clear.)
Abilities:
   Unseen Fangs: You can increase the chance for a target to be wounded by sharp objects that they can't see.
   Fear Aura: Your presence creates a sense of terror, making believers panic at the slightest sound and increasing the chance of injury.
   Darkness Affinity: Your influence increases in the dark, but weakens in the light.

As night falls, shadows lengthen.  You may move to one of the following locations:
   - The forest (Encounter with Draoi)
   - Outside a chicken coop (Encounter with Poultrygeist)

Aximodus:
What am I?
I am Aximodus.
A Fire burnt down a field two villagers were arguing over the ownership of.
My form is that of a red skinned man with horns, old of body but strong of mind.
(Demon)
Abilities:
   Strife Sense: You passively gain a bit of knowledge about the future as pertains to creating and encouraging conflict.
   Strife Aura: Your presence increases egoism and anger, increasing the likelihood of conflict.
   Inflame: You may cause flames to increase in strength and increase the likelihood of objects catching fire.

It seems your location is undefined.  You sense the potential for strife.  You may move to one of these locations:
   - A small house near the edge of the village (Encounter with Nix)
   - A farmer's house (Encounter with Poultrygeist)

No one:
Who am I?
No one. Not that it would matter greatly regardless.
But there’s a local leader - runs the Merchant’s Guild, maybe? Or perhaps he’s one of the sailors... - who keeps a lucky talisman on him. Not to any god in particular, just a lucky coin, old enough that it’s been roughed until the face on it is blank. He holds it when he’s not sure what to do, and he does so until he is.
Maybe we can make that happen a bit faster?

(Guide, just to make it clear.)
A traveling merchant sits in a tavern, slowly turning a coin over in his hands.  His latest venture, while not a total failure, didn't earn him nearly as much as he had hoped.  Though he hasn't seen his family for months, he is embarassed at the prospect of seeing them with nothing to show for his time. 

A strange, hooded man approaches him.  "My name is Pedris.  I am here on behalf of my master, the Lord Sinocard."

Pedris has a request.  He reveals a small, locked box, slightly more than twice the size of a man's fist.  "A small curiosity of great value to my master, though little use to anyone else", he explains.  He needs someone to bring the box to his master, who presides over a decent-sized piece of land near Castle Donderberg in Svartwald, a mere two weeks of sailing to the West.  "I'd take it myself, but I have further business in these lands before I return."

Along with the box, he pulls out a bag of 50 golden talents - a pittance for a lord, but more money than the merchant has seen in the entirety of his latest venture.  "My master will surely pay many times this amount on delivery," he says.

The merchant has heard of Sinocard.  An eccentric man with strange habits.  Though there are rumors surrounding him and his estate, including rumors of him dabbling in the Dark Arts, none would deny that he is very, very wealthy, and a known collector of the strange and dubious.

The merchant considers his options.  He can return home, or brave the journey to Castle Donderberg.  He raises his lucky coin.

Abilities:
   Mental Influence: When a believer wavers on the edge of a choice, you can directly influence their decisions.
   Money Sense: You passively gain a bit of knowledge about the future as pertains to business deals.
   Bound Form (Coin): Your presence is currently bound to a particular coin.  This increases your influence, but renders you unable to move independently.

Knowledge Influx: Pedris is not who he appears to be.  However, nothing he said is a lie.

Badel:
Who am I?
I am Badel.
It was an ordinary day for Kevin until he walked home, before the last crossroad he heard his pan fall, in the time it took him to pick the pen up a car was speeding from around the corner, It would have hit him.It could have been statistic, or maybe something else.
Kevin is new to life in the city, but he is learning fast.  But tomorrow, his life will change.  It is time for him to decide what he is going to do with his life.  He opens up his folder, which is full of recruitment papers he has picked up from various stands around the city.  His eyes drift over them.

"Philosophies and Practice of Chromatic Magic at the Great Academy."
"Find your purpose at the Temple of the Unbroken Light."
"Your country needs you!  Join the Red Knights and become a hero!"

Abilities:
   Attention: You can draw a believer's attention toward a particular location or item.
   Danger Sense: You passively gain a bit of knowledge about the future as it pertains to danger.

Knowledge Influx: Of the three options here, the Temple of the Unbroken Light is the most dangerous.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:02 am »

Hmn...
Money Sense first. Will participating in this deal lead to a continued business with profitable partners such as this lord - or is he likely to be killed to protect a secret of some variety?
Will he survive to make any use of his payment, and will remain free to do so as he wishes?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:49 am »

Danger Sense What is the safest option?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:08 am »

The abilities listed are the abilities you already have (new abilities that can be chosen are listed under "Spirit Evolution").  Sense-based abilities work passively and do not require a turn to use ("Knowledge Influx" represents them when relevant).  You cannot see so far ahead until you become stronger.

However, I will add this: The journey, if successful, will result in profit, and will not inevitably kill the merchant.

Given that the temple is inexplicably dangerous, the academy is probably safer than joining the army.  Of course, it is a magic school...

Also, if you don't name your relevant humans then I will on the next turn.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:14 am »

Well, if this all the informetion I have I use Attention and draw Kevin mind to the Great Academy recruitment paper, specificly on the words Great, Magic and a fancy image of the place.
I did it right?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 10:09:55 am »

Mental Influence: Octavian Grey will accept the deal. However, he’ll definitely be needing some guards, to make sure that this happens successfully.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16