Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods (Chapter 2 - Strange Creatures) (Round 8)  (Read 31150 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:36 am »

Wait until Charlie the farmer gets closer to the coop, then shove the musket in his hands! I will also evolve the ability to possess chickens
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:25 am »

I move to the Farmer's house.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:46:17 am »

Tree affinity upgrade (Could I have it like a toggle? I could have active Bound Form and be within my tree, or have Tree affinity active and move freely around)

Perhaps the lone traveler hears a few whispers and as she looks around the woods her gaze repeatedly sets on a specific tree, she is oddly drawn to it. It looks very peaceful beneath the tree.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:46:35 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 11:53:35 am »

Teeth gnash. Tongues writhe. Eyes seek. Shadows extend.
The Grue hungers.

Move to the farmer's house.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 07:33:15 pm »

Comforting Aura: Reassure the boy. Tell him that if he sticks to his mother, and if he convinces his mother to believe in me, then I will protect them.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 04:44:31 pm »

Events in different locations are not necessarily happening concurrently.

Nix: Tension at Home
Comforting Aura: Reassure the boy. Tell him that if he sticks to his mother, and if he convinces his mother to believe in me, then I will protect them.

The boy leaves his room.  His mother is waiting in the kitchen, near a box of silverware.  A single candle is burning low on the table, casting shadows on the walls.

"John, go back inside.  Your father's late again, and you know that means-"

"I'm not afraid anymore, mother.  Nix said he's going to protect us.  We just need to believe in him."

She looks at him and shakes her head.  She understands his need to feel protected, but now is hardly the time to indulge the boy in his childish fantasies.  "John, I've told you before, Nix isn't..."

The front doorknob turns.

Spirit Evolution - You may choose one of the following new abilities:
   Unseen Fangs: You can increase the chance for a target to be wounded by sharp objects that they can't see.
   Calming Aura: Your presence creates a powerful sense of calm, reducing the likelihood of conflict in your presence.

Spoiler: Nix's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Poultrygeist, Grue, and Aximodus: Triple Trouble at Charlie's Chickens

Wait until Charlie the farmer gets closer to the coop, then shove the musket in his hands! I will also evolve the ability to possess chickens
Charlie loses control of his musket!  He stumbles and the gun's muzzle traces a wild arc across the yard.

I move to the Farmer's house.
Teeth gnash. Tongues writhe. Eyes seek. Shadows extend.
The Grue hungers.

Move to the farmer's house.

Scene elements:
   The gunpowder in the gun (no safety mechanisms)
   An oil lantern providing light (outside)
   A candle providing light (inside)
   Some metal pots that can be used for bizarre and improbable ballistics
   A window
   A bunch of chickens (with sharp beaks and claws) running around the yard in panic
   A small latch holding the fence closed
   A bunch of loose, rusty nails sticking out of the doorframe
   Charlie (outside)
   Charlie's wife (inside, marital status: strained)

Spoiler: The Grue's Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aximodus's Abilities (click to show/hide)

(Each can use one ability)
(If someone attempts to make the gun go off, they may choose to try and time it so the shot hits one of the scene elements.  This is not guaranteed to work as intended.)

No one: Decisions, decisions

Octavian heads to the shipyard to find passage to Svartwald.  Unfortunately, not many ships head out that way, and the next one won't be leaving for many weeks.  Fortunately, he has enough gold to hire his own ship, and still have enough left over for hiring additional mercenaries or guards.

There are two ships leaving the harbor within a day.  Both cost 30 gold to hire.

Captain Cardinal: A wild captain with a love for adventure on the high seas.  Seems a little bit crazy, as does his crew, who all wear bright red.  He also seems interested in meeting Sinocard and may be willing to consider accompanying Octavian to the castle, perhaps for a small cut of the reward, eh?
Captain Lazulo: A more straight-laced captain.  Probably more reliable than Cardinal, but has no interest in going ashore.

In addition, there are some mercenaries who are offering their services.  Octavian has 20 gold remaining.

Rhodes: A gruff, muscular mercenary with a wild beard, scored with the scars of many battles.  He wields an improbably heavy sword in one hand and a makeshift, inaccurate-looking firearm in the other but wears only the barest minimum armor.  Hiring price: 15
Gilmore: A tall soldier armed with a sword and shield.  A few strands of blond hair are visible beneath his helmet.  He seems more trustworthy than Rhodes, though perhaps not as experienced.  Hiring price: 15
Bruin: A hefty outdoorsman with plenty of experience navigating dangerous forests, which are quite common around Donderberg. Hiring price: 10
Sky: A spiritual counselor associated with the Order of the Unbroken Light.  Hiring price: 5
Gorman: A gangly natural historian with an emphasis on the study of monster lore and weaknesses.  Hiring price: 10
Lady Rosa: A young woman in an expensive-looking dress.  Wait, she's not for hire - she's also looking for passage to Svartwald, and is willing to add 20 gold for taking her along.

Octavian turns his coin over in his hand, considering his options.

Knowledge Influx:
   Rhodes is the best fighter, but his hot temper may be a liability.
   Sky may be able to keep Rhodes under control.
   Rosa will probably be a load, but the extra coin may be worth it.

Spoiler: No One's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Draoi: In the Forest
Tree affinity upgrade (Could I have it like a toggle? I could have active Bound Form and be within my tree, or have Tree affinity active and move freely around)

Perhaps the lone traveler hears a few whispers and as she looks around the woods her gaze repeatedly sets on a specific tree, she is oddly drawn to it. It looks very peaceful beneath the tree.
Even if you choose to remain bound to a tree, you will still be able to "project" your spirit outside it once you gain a little more belief.  However, you must at some point choose whether you want to become a spirit of this particular tree, or a spirit of trees in general.
Spirits bound to physical objects or areas tend to be more powerful and gain followers more quickly, since people have a concrete object to associate the spirit with and/or worship.  However, their influence diminishes the further they get from their point of focus.
For now, you may remain undecided.

The traveler closes her eyes and relaxes her mind.  Yes...there is clearly some kind of benevolent presence in this place.  She approaches a tree and leans a hand against it.  Although she does not wish to linger longer than she needs, she is tired, and it does seem as though this is the safest place in the forest.  She will continue on to the village tomorrow.
"Spirit of this place, guard me as I rest."
She falls asleep.
A few hours later, the sound of quiet footsteps can be heard.  A figure clad in black approaches the tree.

Gained (1) believer!
Spirit Evolution - You may choose one of the following new abilities:
   Triproots: You may cause roots to shift slightly and trip up people walking nearby.
   Whispering Wind: You may create indistinct ghostly whispers at specific locations from the sound of the wind in the branches.
   Magic Aura: You may boost the magical aptitude of those in your presence.

Spoiler: Draoi's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Badel: Off to School

Well, if this all the informetion I have I use Attention and draw Kevin mind to the Great Academy recruitment paper, specificly on the words Great, Magic and a fancy image of the place.

Two months have passed since Kevin first decided to apply to the Great Academy of Chromatic Magic.
His application letter has been accepted, and he has received his ticket.  Apparently new students reach the Academy by train.  The train, as it turns out, is completely ordinary, steam-powered, and its platform is in plain sight.  You aren't sure why you thought it would be otherwise.

On the train, you can hear two girls arguing in a nearby seat.

"Oh, I'm picking Magenta for sure.  What is even the point of going to a magic school if you're not even going to learn proper spells?"
"Well, you can study how to commune with the spirits that surround us and control our world."
"Ha, 'communing' with spirits?  Don't make me laugh.  If you knew anything about spirits you'd know that any of them with even the slightest bit of power would eat you alive as soon as look at you.  No, the only way of dealing with spirits is to bind them in a summoning circle and force them to do your bidding."
"Well, the Greens say otherwise.  And just because something doesn't involve blowing stuff up with fireballs or turning someone inside-out with a curse doesn't mean it's not 'proper' magic.  Healing's a pretty important task for mages, you know."
"There are Magenta healers!"
"There are Magenta surgeons.  There's a big difference between that and healing.  Even a Red can burn out an infection by yelling at it enough."
"Oh, spare me your semantics.  Besides, what's a Green going to do when confronted with some enormous writhing Eldrich?  Besides inviting it over for tea and crumpets and the souls of the innocent."
"Summon up an even bigger Eldrich."
"Oh, by the Unbroken Light...you're hopeless.  Well, at least we can agree that the Blues are the stupidest of the Six Schools."
"Pretty sure they're the opposite of that."
"You know what I mean!"

A boy sitting across from Kevin makes a small huff noise.  He's reading one of the school's textbooks: Introduction to the Six Schools.  Kevin has the same book in his bag, but hasn't given it any thought.
Actually, Kevin is oblivious to the entire exchange.  He is drawing something in his notebook.  It looks like some kind of dragon.

You gain a new ability when Kevin is holding his pen: Butterfingers.

Spoiler: Badel's Abilities (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 05:05:15 pm »

Does my mercantile sense give me any tips for Lazulo and Cardinal?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 05:22:01 pm »

Does my mercantile sense give me any tips for Lazulo and Cardinal?

Cardinal may offer extra opportunities for profit - but is also a riskier venture as pertains to completing the task at all.  Would you trust your luck?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 05:25:30 pm »

My recommendation to Octavian: Lazulo, Rhodes, Sky, Rosa, and Bruin.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 05:35:40 pm »

Green it is.
Attention,Draw Kevin mind to the green girl and green staff on the train, specifically decorations and the girl's clothing if any of it green.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:21 pm »

I Attempt to Start the Gunpowder while the gun faces a chicken.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:42 pm »

Possess a chicken, and have it tap on the window or door of the farmhouse, attracting the attention of Charlie's wife
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:52 pm »

The maw of the grue closes, hiding the void inside. When it opens again, a large eye has replaced the void. The eye scans the area, focusing on the rusty nails.
Cast Unseen Fangs on the rusty nails of the doorframe.
Are we aware of other spirits, and can our influence be used outside of abilities?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »

I will take Unseen Fangs.

I will also use Shove on the box of silverware before the father enters the room, knocking the silverware onto the floor, and use Unseen Fangs to make him bleed.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 02:16:36 am »

Are we aware of other spirits, and can our influence be used outside of abilities?

You are aware of other spirits.

As your influence grows, your freedom of actions will as well.  At some point you can gain the ability to manifest physically, at which point you can operate as a living being.  For now, though, you are still in a state of "vague presence" so your ability to influence the world around you is limited.  Only imaginative children, madmen, and mages can even perceive your presence.

Using abilities of a particular color will usually open up opportunities to evolve new abilities with that color (though this rule is not always straightforward).  Physical manifestation is a red ability, so if you're aiming for that focusing on red abilities is the way to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16