Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods (Chapter 2 - Strange Creatures) (Round 8)  (Read 31153 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: Chromatic Spirits RPG: Ghosts to Gods (Chapter 2 - Strange Creatures)
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:06 pm »

The only reason they aren't a straight guide right now is that Cole's speach color, and thus his soul color, is pure blue, and I'm wondering if that means his spirit has to be as well.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:56 pm »

Oh, makes sense.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2018, 07:27:34 pm »

A Trickster would probably use their wisdom not to help or harm others, but just because they can. A Guide would use that wisdom to teach others with benevolent intent or be benevolent to others to learn and gain wisdom of the world (Sagacity), while a Demon would use their wisdom to gain power over people or use their power on others to gain in knowledge and wisdom (Control).

Or at least that's what I think. I might be very wrong. I feel Quill is some sort of guide for Cole to be a better version of himself, instead of an entity centered on themselves without benevolence or harmony.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2018, 07:28:50 pm »

I know, so do I, I just need to make sure that works with the fact Cole has a pure blue soul.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:44 pm »

Hey, he might not be "pure" blue. Cyan is pretty close, too. You can still be a guide and focus around blue mana, it doesn't really matter because a red monster can still do acts of benevolence and gain a lot of green mana, despite their nature.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »

To put it simply so Indigo can see if he checks while I'm asleep, Quill is a guide unless someone with a blue soul needs a trickster. However, Quill fits much better as a guide, so if it is something I can do, he will be a guide.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2018, 12:33:10 am »

The classes are more behavioral guidelines than strict rules - similar to good/evil/chaotic/lawful alignments.  All classes can earn mana of all colors if they perform the appropriate actions, and this can gain them abilities from other colors, and if unusual circumstances occur they can even shift their color over time.  Purists will tend to gain presence faster though, and changing color becomes more difficult as the spirit's presence increases / they become more famous.

Simple example: All spirits gain Red mana by demonstrating their Power, and this gives them more powerful "active" abilities.  A "monster" can use their abilities for benevolent causes, and this will gain them Green mana and eventually Green abilities if they do so enough, effectively shifting them to a Guardian (since a Guardian is basically just a benevolent Monster).  But if they just wreck stuff whenever they can, they will demonstrate their power more frequently and thereby gain Red mana faster than if they limit themselves to times when it would be helpful.

Also worth noting that there's no real "evil" color alignment.  Demons, monsters and tricksters may be anywhere from neutral to evil.  But it is easier to find opportunities to harm than it is to find opportunities to help.

For people confused about the Mana system, basically the more "supernatural" something is the more mana it costs.  A person getting an idea, or the wind jostling things over?  Perfectly natural, and therefore without cost.  Fireballs spontaneously appearing in a forest, or a perfectly sane person hearing voices?  Still possible, but less so.  Proper magic will be more costly, but once you have hundreds of mana to spare it won't be such a huge issue.  When there are exceptions to this rule, there is usually a reason behind it.

Quill's a rather interesting concept, I'd probably consider him a Familiar at first since he seems to be equally balanced between Power and Wisdom, and is probably benevolent... but I can classify him as a Guide if that's what you're going for.  There is no relationship between a person's soul color and the color of a spirit attached to them.  Actually, don't place too much weight on someone's text color, it's mainly just there to make reading long walls of text easier.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2018, 05:34:00 am »

Hmmmmm... I didn't mean to put power in there, where did you get that read from?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2018, 05:39:00 am »

Well, you said he was supposed to fight back against bullies and defeat villains.  Though if he does so mainly through his wits, I guess his abilities would fall out more on the Blue side.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:15 am »

Yeah, he is meant to be a guile hero who uses his wits, his charm, and his book smarts. He can't defeat a dragon in solo combat, but he can trick it into losing some of its hoard. Besides, he can still punch a bully in the face. I mean, I'm much less athletic than Quill, and I managed that.

Best comparison I can think of. In Deltora Quest, the main character is a competent swordsman and can fight the villain's minions and other normal people, but when it comes to most problems and big monsters, he uses trickery and his wits to beat them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:44:55 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2018, 03:38:51 pm »

One player has yet to post.

Since they don't have too many options available at any rate (I need to think of some appropriate abilities to add), I suppose I will just make a move for them if they haven't posted by the time I'm done writing the next update.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2018, 05:40:14 pm »

Makes sense. Hopefully they post. I know I’d hate to miss it.

Out of curiosity, is there a magic type/color/name for all having all types of mana? I suppose it would technically be white, although that would be a pain to read. Doesn’t really affect Arbus, but I am still curious.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »

It would likely be depicted as grey. White wouldn't work, as that's the default text color for darkling.
Which, of course, means that from my perspective, Octavian has white speech. :3
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »

...Indigo, could a person possibly have two spirits following them around, such as Cole having myself and possibly Spin?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2018, 11:45:57 pm »

A high level in all three colors is white, though this may or may not translate to their text color due to the readability issue.  So far the only definitively high level white mage in the story is, naturally, Headmaster Fintan.  Gray or neutral text on important characters generally just means they are relatively balanced between colors.

Spirits may be white.  I will leave it up to speculation what such a spirit would be called (it's not that hard to figure out.)

A person can have multiple spirits following them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16