Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [44.09] Better Bugmen 1.2  (Read 5970 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
[44.09] Better Bugmen 1.2
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:44:38 am »

Download: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13589

This mod replaces 9 insect animal-persons and 2 crustacean animal-persons, and adds 4 domesticated creatures, 1 new weapon and improved Wooden Weapons from DF Revised 44.07.

FEATURES:
-Leech, Tick, Mosquito, & Fly Men - Bloodsuckers all, except Fly Men who puke acid.
-These invaders spread across swamps and forests, rotating through all seasons to provide year-round hostility.
-Invaders climb walls and will overrun unprepared fortresses!

-Slug, Snail, Moon Snail Men - They offer dwarf-sized armor and blunt weapons in trade.
-Spit a dizzying acid to disable enemies.
-Build burrows across swamps and rivers.
-Their caravans are pulled by Mule Worms, which can lay Fire Clay "eggs" if purchased.
-Siege with War Worms, monstrous burrowers capable of felling Giants.

-Moth & Mantis Men - Warrior-monks with wooden weapons.
-Have TRANCES.
-Moths puff Dream Dust at enemies to make them sleepy; Mantises have savage snatch attacks.
-Inhabit warm and temperate forests.
-Their caravans are pulled by Packbugs, which have bright and colorful chitin.
-Siege with Battle Beetles, massive bugs with a savage stabbing horn.

If you're tired of lazy Goblins and snooty Elves, give this mod a go! Hope you enjoy.

1.1 EDIT: I goofed and forgot to include ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE. Bloodsuckers work correctly now. They won't insta-drain dwarves, but their bloodsucking effect is stronger than vanilla, gives them a stat boost, and will make dwarves Pale very quickly.

1.2 EDIT: New content! Crab and Horseshoe Crab men will spread across the sea, raiding from coastal villages. Adventurers may experience buggy behavior. Also added War Worms and Battle Beetles as siege animals for the existing friendly civs. Anger them at your own risk!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:41:54 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better Bugmen 1.0 (for 44.07)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:54:40 pm »

Wow looks cool! Will get this mod.

Can bugmen also be visitors to your fortress?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:17:42 pm »

Wow looks cool! Will get this mod.

Can bugmen also be visitors to your fortress?

Yes. Bugmen are non-drinkers, so as to be kinder to your alcohol stockpiles (and their tiny livers).

In my current fort, I had a Mantis Man bard visit carrying two books he authored. The writing was self-indulgent and amateurish at best.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:32:23 am »

I like where this is going so far. Any plans to continue onto the rest of the bug men, maybe add some more unique items to the ones you have already or are you going to leave it at what you have so far?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:34 am »

If I add more to this, I really want to make sure every bug-person added has something unique about them. I was looking into adding something cool like a tail-goo shooting attack for Firefly Men, but beyond that I have a hard time coming up with ideas; Butterfly, Damselfly, Dragonfly, Grasshopper and Beetle Men don't leave much room for interest, aside from maybe using KICK_ATTACK_HIGHVEL for grasshoppers.

War beasts might be another thing to add. A battle beetle and a war worm would be easy enough to do, and if I can figure out the interaction I'd love to have something with a fearsome roar effect.

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:08 am »

Id i may suggest something then for the other bug-men.
Butterfly are highly skilled dancers, or entertainers for hire.
Dragon Fly have a sting attack possibly (related to females)
Beetles might have high grade natural armor and might actually have some metal works ie the fire spitter beetle.
Said things also might have castes that could be seen case being in terms of a rhinoceros beetle or the nightwing butterfly.
Also grasshoppers with a kick attack and talons would make sense as their leg are covered in protrusions that can easily be made as a weapon by a larger variant such as this mod.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »

You could always give damselflies a hilariously short life span, but counteract it by giving them an insanely high learning speed. It would create a VERY interesting play mechanic.

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:37:21 pm »

Does the mod replace all the original races or just add additional ones

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:15:10 pm »

Does the mod replace all the original races or just add additional ones

This only replaces the bug-men races listed. Dwarves, Elves, etc. are unaffected.

I only did it this way because A) replacing your entire insect/bug_slug_new/etc. might overlap some other mods and B) I was unable to get creature-variation based animal men to come out exactly dwarf-sized for item compatibility.

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:46:39 am »

Thats strange. The first world i created crashes the game every time i start fortress mode (just before the calendar screen).
The second one loads but none of the original races exist. Only termites, bronze collosses and Dragons (which are the only playable race, not dwarves)
Third one, multiple insect races, no humans, dwarves elves or goblins. And again only Dragons are playable

(if I actually embark, when paused I can see the seven dragons are listed in the pets/livestock screen but are not citizens. When I unpause it immediately says 'your settlement has crumbled to its end' and the game ends.)

I am running 44.07 with the latest DFhack/twbt

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:57:51 am »

Sounds like duplicated raws. What does the error log say?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 08:02:38 am »

Thats strange. The first world i created crashes the game every time i start fortress mode (just before the calendar screen).
The second one loads but none of the original races exist. Only termites, bronze collosses and Dragons (which are the only playable race, not dwarves)
Third one, multiple insect races, no humans, dwarves elves or goblins. And again only Dragons are playable

(if I actually embark, when paused I can see the seven dragons are listed in the pets/livestock screen but are not citizens. When I unpause it immediately says 'your settlement has crumbled to its end' and the game ends.)

Did you delete the original bug men from their respective files? Other than that, it sounds like some other mod giving you trouble on your end.

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:27 pm »

Did you delete the original bug men from their respective files? Other than that, it sounds like some other mod giving you trouble on your end.

Thanks for the reply. No i didn't delete the original bug-men. I didn't see that mentioned in the readme. Can you tell me which files I need to delete entries from?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:38 am »

Thanks for the reply. No i didn't delete the original bug-men. I didn't see that mentioned in the readme. Can you tell me which files I need to delete entries from?

Both files (better_bug_men and better_slug_men) list it, but I can see how it'd slip past you.

creature_bug_slug_new.txt:
Slug Men
Snail Men
Moon Snail Men
Moth Men
Mantis Men
Mosquito Men
Tick Men

creature_insect.txt
Fly Men

creature_riverlakepool_new:
Leech Men

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better Bugmen 1.1 (for 44.07)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:19 am »

thank you!
Pages: [1] 2