Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves petitioning for themselves to be drafted into the military  (Read 896 times)

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile

It'd be neat if dwarves with high martial prowess values/high combat skills/high stats could open a petition to draft themselves into the military
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves petitioning for themselves to be drafted into the military
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:49 am »

It would be better if they did this as a squad rather than as individuals.  That way it would keep micromanagement at bay, I don't have to set up all the squads, I just have to make weapons and armour and the squads would make themselves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 12:44:24 pm »

It'd be neat if dwarves with high martial prowess values/high combat skills/high stats could open a petition to draft themselves into the military

Who's military? The official 'dwarven army', a army of our own creation? militia squads?

Explain a bit more please, apologies if im being abrupt but id like to hear more about your idea if you're willing to elaborate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:16:43 pm »

It would be neat, as well as them petitioning to become sages (and performers, once performers start to actually perform and stops killing visitors through poisoning, or at least the killing part being optional). Once religion is fleshed out they could also petition for joining temples in official functions.
It wouldn't hurt if they could petition to be given desired jobs either, although I suspect that hinges on guilds returning.

I'd definitely want to be able to have a say in what squads and what positions various characters would join, although a default "suggestion" probably wouldn't hurt. As a starting point, a simple "job request board" might do, though.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:58 pm »

Its a patch to the wider difficulty, that there is no practical way to review dwarves to see which are most suited to policing/ military / performing/ scholar/ medic/ crafting. The dwarves personality traits and goals determine what they will happily do or not, but its just impractical to navigate and read scores of individual description screens to assess them in bulk. Its not so much that its 'micro-management' to try to do that sensibly - its design of the society, as much as ramping and digging is fort design, but the view of the character info is obstructed in a way which the view of the physical fort isnt. This is why tools like therapist are compelling. The personal info creates a story which can just look like chaos if the player cant play with it. So the situation here is we want automatic applications to help avoid the repercussions of not being able to effectively design the society.
Another method is to arrange spare time for units and voluntary military squads, and then assign them to story-telling, reading, fulltime army etc. as they are spotted doing those things in their free time.
Klok the Kloker !