Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lever/Door system that oes not seem to work  (Read 692 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lever/Door system that oes not seem to work
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:32:12 am »

I was recently punching through an aquifer, and I decided to kill it with magma. This worked quite well, except the floodgates used were too slow closing and now I have magma in my stairwell. To kill that I thought I'd pour a couple tiles of the aquifer into the stairwell.

And I used doors, with precisely two squares between them. It looks like this:
DEEDEEEEEEEEE

D for Door, E for empty space. The plan was to set both doors to the same lever, with the first door open. That way when I fill the passage with water from the aquifer, I can just pull the lever and my doors will switch states, which will mean the water from the passage will fill the two squares with 12-14 units of water, then I pull the lever again so the first door can open (and dump 12-14 urists of water on the magma) and the second will close (preventing the passage full of water from filling the mine shaft.

So I hooked up one door, pulled the lever, then hooked up the other door, and tried a test pull or three. In theory the doors should be in different states (ie: one should always be opened and the other closed) but they are now the same state.

So I clearly fucked something up. Which leads me to my questions:

1) What did I fuck up?

2) How can I fix it?

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lever/Door system that oes not seem to work
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:00:28 am »

1) Nothing, the mechanics work like this. The lever also has an "open" and a "closed" state, which is synchronized with doors, etc. A door, which is in the "open" state will simply do nothing if the connected lever is switched to "open".

2) Use two levers

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 04:20:28 am »

1. Your mistake was that you assumed levers toggle what's hooked up to them, rather than send "open" and "close" signals, as Chaia explained. Thus, the error was on the design level, not the implementation level.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:32 am »

The only way you can have opposite states on the same lever is either by replacing one of the doors with a floor hatch (requires 2 z-levels,) or by setting up some kind of inverter.

DEEDEEEEEEEEE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:49 pm »

setting up some kind of inverter.

DEEDEEEEEEEEE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LOL!