Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Awful luck with eggs or did something change?  (Read 2231 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Awful luck with eggs or did something change?
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »

I embarked with 2M and 4F of three different egglayers. I dug out a room to hold them all, placed nestboxes with a 1x1 pasture on each, then a 4x6 pasture in the same room for all the males. The pastures do not overlap. There's actually a 1 space gap between the 4x6 and the nestboxes.Eggs laid just fine, and two seasons later, nothing. I checked with DFHack, and all clutches were non-fertile. OK, fine. Gather all the eggs, and watch as new ones get laid. I'm most of the way through the second laying now, and every nest is non-fertile.

I'm pretty sure that I used the same setup in 43.05, and usually had fertile clutches. Did something change in terms of accessibility, or am I misremembering, or maybe just incredibly unlucky? Maybe all the males are gay or something? How would I know without DT? Anything I can do about it if that's the case? Other than start a new embark, I mean?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awful luck with eggs or did something change?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:03 pm »

I brought two roosters and 4 chicken in my embark and never got a single egg hatched.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:34:03 pm »

I have never tried using pastures/pens that are next to each-other to separate males/females before.  I started a new game a week ago in the same new version, 2 female turkeys, 2 male turkeys,  penned all four in the same zone with nest boxes, I have had a lot of poults hatch.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »

I've got happy little poults running around in .44.07 (till the goblins retaliated, that is).
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:44 pm »

Working now. Last two of the second set were fertile, and 10/10 of the third laying. Must have been just bad luck. The string of 22 consecutive non-fertiles had me going, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:47:22 am »

I don't understand why you'd want to separate males and females, unless you want to avoid fertilization.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:23 am »

I don't understand why you'd want to separate males and females, unless you want to avoid fertilization.
exactly this. i always just make a large room 9x9 and place nestboxes, then make the whole room a pasture and put all egglayers in there.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Wombation

• Bay Watcher
  • My only friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 04:48:41 am »

Animals and Dwarfs no longer "breed by spores". They need to at least at some point be situated adjacent to each other in order to breed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:57 am »

Animals and Dwarfs no longer "breed by spores". They need to at least at some point be situated adjacent to each other in order to breed.
are the chances for breeding higher if they are happier?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:14 am »

are the chances for breeding higher if they are happier?
There is no indication that happiness factors into it. Adjacent (or same tile) and not otherwise occupied (by e.g. eating/drinking/sleeping/socializing...). Some citizens can be a bit slow which may be due to personality traits or just chance.
Animals are said to be able to breed with a caged male adjacent to a free ranging or chained female (I've never tried that, though, so that's second hand info).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:54:56 am »

thanks. so just having a nice meeting hall and rooms but also a free dormitory should work. argh i'll look in that breeding thread instead of derailing yours...

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:00 am »

My bad. I meant a 4x6 meeting area within the room, not a 4x6 pasture. I like to keep the males out of the nestbox area to make it a little easier to figure out when I need to build more.

i always just make a large room 9x9 and place nestboxes, then make the whole room a pasture and put all egglayers in there.
I guess I should have checked for myself. I didn't see any mention of changes to egg-layers in the changelog, so I assumed autonestbox was still widely used. That would simplify things quite a lot. Though it's not that hard with macros, just tedious.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 11:18:50 am »

Animals can be gay.

Reflect on this.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 01:18:10 pm »

What are you trying to do exactly? If you want the males to fertilise then why not just assign them and the females to one big pasture then when you get your poultsplosion just unassign the males or butcher them.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 03:30:33 pm »

I don't remember what problem autonestbox was intended to solve. Something that was happening with assigning nest boxes a few years back, but maybe the game itself has fixed that. Or it might have been releasing the nest boxes. I don't know. Autonestbox was just part and parcel of playing a game. I take it that is no longer the case?

For all I know, double-slitting aquifers is no longer necessary, either...
Pages: [1] 2