Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Excavation Project  (Read 498 times)

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large Excavation Project
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:39:59 pm »

I'm currently embarking on what I guess could almost qualify as a mega project: a large city suspended from the ceiling of a massive (25z+ deep) cavern, with all structures connected by bridges that also hang from the ceiling,  but it's likely going to take decades due to the natural caverns being in the way.

Does anyone know of a relatively fast way clear this much stone, considering the challenges caused by the caverns? My current plan for the excavation is to use a cave-in to create a more-or-less flat layer of stone at the bottom of my cavern, but I was wondering if there might be a slightly faster way to go about doing this. 

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large Excavation Project
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:10 pm »

Gen a deep world with one cavern layer, and forget about digging into one for this. Use DFhack reveal and find an area that doesn't hit cavern.

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:49 am »

Gen a deep world with one cavern layer, and forget about digging into one for this. Use DFhack reveal and find an area that doesn't hit cavern.
I already have a deep world with three cavern layers and I do have some plans for those lakes (I also like having the cave critters around), so I'd rather not remove the natural caves unless absolutely necessary. With my plans it would also be hard to find a way to avoid the caverns entirely if I forget about the lakes, as I will be using ALL of every z-level that contains part of the city.

Edit: I guess I could just make the layer between the surface and the first cavern much deeper, though I would still have some difficulty with the caverns. A few spires could reach down into the natural caves, but the natural caves are a bit on the shallow side and this could bring me back to the original problem.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:56:35 am by EldritchVoid »

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »

If the caverns are in the way then you can always up the Above Layer 1 number in advanced world gen, assuming you haven't already.