Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Log: Pleased about a Floor Hatch  (Read 369 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat Log: Pleased about a Floor Hatch
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »

Butchering in a reanimating biome is always an adventure. This time, as often happens, the skin reanimated before the tanner could turn it to leather. So I gave a kill order to the tanner's squad. The tanner whipped out his mace and flattened the skin without any problem. Reanimated butchering returns aren't dangerous, except for morale.

Here's the mystery: After defeating the skin and laughing in the face of death, the tanner notes that he's pleased about being near a floor hatch --- in the combat log.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There were floor hatches covering the nearest down-ramps, though these were about seven tiles away from where the combat took place.

Have the dwarves taken an interest in their own safety, so that they feel happy or sad based on protective hatches? If you have a combat log about someone being displeased about the lack of a floor hatch, please share.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Log: Pleased about a Floor Hatch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:10:23 pm »

A variety of thoughts will appear in the combat log. I suspect the dwarf is still associated with "the fight" for some time afterwards and all new thoughts appear in that combat report, until "the fight" is officially closed. The tanner could have finished tanning, walked away from the workshop, and noticed the floor hatch.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:42:54 pm »

A variety of thoughts will appear in the combat log. I suspect the dwarf is still associated with "the fight" for some time afterwards and all new thoughts appear in that combat report, until "the fight" is officially closed. The tanner could have finished tanning, walked away from the workshop, and noticed the floor hatch.
It was immediate. I was watching the fight.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:51:46 am »

He just noticed and liked the floor hatch. That's how dwarves are. If there was a screen that showed a similarly adventure mode-like perspective, you'd have dwarves just saying whatever popped into their heads on that screen too.
One wheel short of a wagon

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:02 am »

Gosh, if there was only some... video clip I could link of a movie that has a fight scene interupted by something that everyone stops fighting to notice.. and then goes back to fighting... hmmm. It seems like something I remember happening in a movie but I can't for the life of me think of it to share the clip.  Oh well.  It doesn't sound that unusual for something to be noticed and have a thought about it in the middle of a fight.