Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 44.07 Lock-up  (Read 1053 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
44.07 Lock-up
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:55:39 pm »

I have had very few crashes in DF, overall. However, in 44.07 I've run into a lock-up, twice now. I believe this is the first time I've run into lock-ups with the game. It seems unusual.

I'm not sure what I can report about it in a bug report because I don't see any specific pattern and once it's locked up, there's nothing I can do. I do notice that it seems to spin the CPU indefinitely, once it locks up. I'm running this in a VM, so I grabbed a snapshot of the memory and disk.

Is anyone else seeing lock-ups? Anything I can provide to help track down the issue?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 44.07 Lock-up
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:01:56 pm »

Linux?
Then, yeah, it's locking up right now. Being worked on.
Link in case you want to help out (seems like the more help the better for this one):
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10615

If not, then are you using any mods, dfhack, twbt, etc?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:04:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:16:59 am »

I've seen something similar to this too (just waiting for my registration in Mantis to go though to add it to the conversation).  However, in my case it froze in the 2 week period after starting adventure mode from a previous save (I had just retired my fortress).  I killed DF and tried again and the second time it worked.  I still have that save (my adventure mode was abruptly ended by a segfault -- I assume not related since it was quite a bit later).  I haven't tried crashing it since (may not be reproducible)

In any case, I wonder if it has to do with something happening in world activation.  Given that it seems to happen unpredictably, that might be why.  Also, at least in my case, given that it did not happen every time I suspect that this is a case of working in freed memory (or buffer overflow).   Using a debug malloc and screwing around until you get a crash may help....  In fact, I wonder if I could do that myself.  If I get some time, I give it a go.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 04:00:55 am »

Linux?
Then, yeah, it's locking up right now. Being worked on.
Link in case you want to help out (seems like the more help the better for this one):
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10615

If not, then are you using any mods, dfhack, twbt, etc?

Ah, yep. Vanilla Linux. Seems to be a known issue.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 04:05:49 am »

I've seen something similar to this too (just waiting for my registration in Mantis to go though to add it to the conversation).  However, in my case it froze in the 2 week period after starting adventure mode from a previous save (I had just retired my fortress).  I killed DF and tried again and the second time it worked.  I still have that save (my adventure mode was abruptly ended by a segfault -- I assume not related since it was quite a bit later).  I haven't tried crashing it since (may not be reproducible)

In any case, I wonder if it has to do with something happening in world activation.  Given that it seems to happen unpredictably, that might be why.  Also, at least in my case, given that it did not happen every time I suspect that this is a case of working in freed memory (or buffer overflow).   Using a debug malloc and screwing around until you get a crash may help....  In fact, I wonder if I could do that myself.  If I get some time, I give it a go.

It's very random. I haven't seen it repeat in any predictable way, when I kill the process and restart. That makes it difficult to pass on useful information.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 04:17:28 am »

I'm another one the 'vanilla linux stability issues' train. 
Mostly due to raids. Sometimes using DT crashes either DT or DF. 
I'm just hoping 44.08 is nigh and stable, so I can do some better raid science.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 04:21:55 am »

I'm another one the 'vanilla linux stability issues' train. 
Mostly due to raids. Sometimes using DT crashes either DT or DF. 
I'm just hoping 44.08 is nigh and stable, so I can do some better raid science.
Something about raids is crashing Windows DF too. Not as often as before, but I've had one "crash when the squad gets back, but not immediately when they get back, just enough time has passed to make me wonder if the problem is somewhere else" crash bug.

Tricky to predict of course.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:06:57 am »

Yes, sadly raid is still a source of crash on current version.
When 44.07 had been released just for testing i sent repeated raids on a gob site to see the changes , after 3 or 4 raids that worked (with most of the non-dead and non-captured troops returning) , the last raid had the game crashing when the troop returned.

So still the same recommendation : before doing a raid save and make a copy of your save, then load and send your raid (with whatever raid setting you want, like razing etc...) .
If the raid has your troops returning without crashing , fine just continue playing, but if the game crash when they return, you'll have to delete the save and use the backup you did before you sent them out.