Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tips for interesting raiding in 0.44.07  (Read 7415 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips for interesting raiding in 0.44.07
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:03:38 pm »

For interesting raiding, look for a world that has: high savagery, successful and thriving civs, lots of elves, at least two dwarven civs, at least one tower, and ideally a longer history

What I've discovered so far:

Elves
  • Elves in savage biomes will have many giant animals to steal, including awesome war-trainable stuff like giant tigers!
  • Be warned: those animals will defend their sites! A herd of giant rhinoceroses can easily destroy even legendary warriors
  • Be extra warned: they will also use those animals in ambush counterattacks. We barely survived one involving dozens of elves on giant war elephants...

Dwarves
  • You can attack another dwarven civ to steal their artifacts
  • This will provoke war: you can get sieged by other dwarves in this version
  • The more dwarves and the longer the history, the more interesting artifacts exist in the world (including steel weapons!)
  • You can even attack your own retired fortresses if they're from another civ

Goblins
  • Demon leaders will defend their dark fortresses personally and are very challenging to fight
  • Raiding gobbo civs that tamed them may be the only way to get fully domesticated cave dragons (haven't tested this)
  • In a very rare and amazing edge case, it's possible to end up with a demon joining your fort as a citizen

Humans
  • Not usually that interesting to raid in comparison to the other civs
  • Probably best to keep them as your peaceful buddies for trading and visitors

Towers
  • You can steal books containing the secrets of life and death from them
  • Free immortality for everyone!

General
  • War animals assigned to squad members will participate in missions! (you can send those giant elephants right back to destroy the elves)
  • The default stealth raid option trains Ambusher skill for the whole squad

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for interesting raiding in 0.44.07
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:20:29 pm »

A few that might warrant adding in general, though not quite confirmed on my end
* Be careful when telling anyone to raze a site, they can overextend themselves and end up killed/imprisoned when pillaging would have resulted in a curbstomp in your squad's favor.
* Trolls don't count towards population, so be careful there when sieging goblins because I can and have found settlements with two trolls per goblin
* There may be a bug with trying to recover prisoners at goblin sites, in that the prisoners will fight on the goblins' side and probably die.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »

Remember the demon came from raiding a human site where it had been kept prisoner. Dorfs won't just pick up Llama Demons along with the livestock.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »

A few that might warrant adding in general, though not quite confirmed on my end
* Be careful when telling anyone to raze a site, they can overextend themselves and end up killed/imprisoned when pillaging would have resulted in a curbstomp in your squad's favor.
* Trolls don't count towards population, so be careful there when sieging goblins because I can and have found settlements with two trolls per goblin
* There may be a bug with trying to recover prisoners at goblin sites, in that the prisoners will fight on the goblins' side and probably die.

I raided a goblin capital with 100ish reported goblins, had 540 extra trolls too (but no beak dogs)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:23:32 pm »

Can you raid kobolds for easy GCS and helmet snakes?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 06:02:52 pm »

Can you raid kobolds for easy GCS and helmet snakes?
Are they still hidden on the civ map? Don't recall seeing any. Might just be missing them though.

--
Ok, checked that. You can't select them for a raid (they're hidden), but a cave will show up in the list of artifacts if its the last known location.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:41:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 06:30:04 pm »

What else trains the ambusher skill other than stealth raids and hunting?

On a related note, I remember hearing rumors that a failed stealth raid often ends with your dwarves going in a murderampage at the raid site. There some speculation that when they get spotted, they adopt the "We won't be seen if there's no one left alive to see us" philosophy.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:05:27 am »

I think it's more that they get spotted far behind enemy lines, and figure they have those bloody gobbos surrounded from the inside.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:53 am »

Hey, actual question on raiding here: If you raid a goblin site, and steal a bunch of their pet trolls, can you end up with domesticated creatures that you wouldn't otherwise be able to domesticate as part of your fort?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 01:55:55 pm »

Hey, actual question on raiding here: If you raid a goblin site, and steal a bunch of their pet trolls, can you end up with domesticated creatures that you wouldn't otherwise be able to domesticate as part of your fort?
They don't steal trolls. Only beakdogs.
Are beakdogs not trainable if you catch them during sieges?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 02:34:44 pm »

According to the wiki, beak dogs are not trainable (although the wiki has been wrong in the past). A more significant issue with siege beak dogs is that they're enemies, not "animals". As far as I understand you can't tame human invader horses either (I've never been at war with humans or elves, so I have no personal experience if this). I've seen plenty of beak dogs though, since they (re)appeared.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »

Does anyone have some luck with eradicating goblins? They have an annoying habit of rehabitating previously raided settlements.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 05:28:49 pm »

According to the wiki, beak dogs are not trainable (although the wiki has been wrong in the past). A more significant issue with siege beak dogs is that they're enemies, not "animals". As far as I understand you can't tame human invader horses either (I've never been at war with humans or elves, so I have no personal experience if this). I've seen plenty of beak dogs though, since they (re)appeared.

Some behavior may have changed in the very latest patch:
Quote from: Toady One
To get the full fix for stolen livestock, old saves will need to add [PET] to beak dogs and unicorns. This isn't crucial; if it isn't done, those animals will no longer be stolen in that save. But if you were experiencing the bug, the existing animals will be broken until the tag is added.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 05:49:43 pm »

Does anyone have some luck with eradicating goblins? They have an annoying habit of rehabitating previously raided settlements.
You'll never wipe out the goblins with raiders except maybe in a tiny pocket world with a reduced goblin civ specifically tailored to make yourself feel good by "wiping out the goblins".

Armies are coming right up, much more efficient than tiny raiding squads. Although even then, just as the rest of df worlds work, "taking over" other civilizations is much more likely than genocide.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:46 pm »

I am playing on a large world. Maybe after culling the majority of their populations I could divide my soldiers in 100 squads and keep resending them to all the goblin sites where refugees could apear? Like a crude way of patrolling? I could even make a macro for it and do it every month in game.
Pages: [1] 2