Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The adventurer-king: a guide to ruling your own dwarven civ  (Read 8479 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The adventurer-king: a guide to ruling your own dwarven civ
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:14 pm »

With some careful use of the world activation mechanics, it's possible to set your adventurer up as the monarch of a dwarven civilization (without modding or dfhack).

Step 1: Generate a world with at least one dead dwarven civ

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For this proof of concept, I made a high-savagery pocket region filled with megabeasts. They quickly wiped out every civilized site.

Step 2: Create a fortress

You should see the "your civ is dead or dying" message before embark.

Step 3: Wait for a random dwarf to become king/queen

It should only take a few moments after you unpause. If this doesn't happen, you might need to gen a new world and try again.

Step 4: Retire the fortress and create an adventurer

Since this is a dead world, my only option here is Human Outsider, but any kind of adventurer should work in theory.

Step 5: Retire the adventurer at your fortress, then unretire the fortress

You should now see both your current monarch and your adventurer in the unit list.

Step 6: Arrange for an Unfortunate Accident

Step 7: Profit

Some notes:

• This means it is possible to have your civ ruled by say, an immortal vampire necromancer elephant woman queen. Or a gorlak.
  • Theoretically you could do this without a dead civ, it'd just be much more difficult. You'd need to assassinate everyone in the royal line of succession before you.
  • To have your adventurer be a full citizen of a fort, you need to become a militia-dwarf before retiring (talk to the militia commander)
  • You can unretire the adventurer again at any time and go off on little royal ventures

Hoshiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The adventurer-king: a guide to ruling your own dwarven civ
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »

I'm curious : what are you actually able to do as leader of a civ ? We know what happens when you lead a site-level government entity but civ-level ? Do people react any differently when they talk to you ? How about getting people to follow you to adventure ?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:57 pm »

This is also possible if you massacre (kill pretty much everyone) in the mountainhome, and you are an adventurer from  that civ.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »

I'm curious : what are you actually able to do as leader of a civ ? We know what happens when you lead a site-level government entity but civ-level ? Do people react any differently when they talk to you ? How about getting people to follow you to adventure ?

Nope. You can't control your civ at all. You can't do everything in DF, you know.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:04 pm »

Nope. You can't control your civ at all. You can't do everything in DF, you know.
But people on the street will tell you, 'you are king'. That's gotta be worth it.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:31:13 am »

That is to say...not yet, at least.  ;)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 02:00:15 am »

That is to say...not yet, at least.  ;)

Well, I read somewhere that it's getting an advanced programming language within 20 years, so... yes?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »

Do adventurers have preferences? Maybe you can avoid having mandates.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 05:46:55 am »

Do adventurers have preferences? Maybe you can avoid having mandates.
no, they do not, it's also the reason they didn't do romance well until the romance overhaul which REALLY made them not Romance.
adventurer's souls are kinda empty and barebones compared to a Normal Dwarf's soul... or well any Dwarf fortress character's Soul.
the only other soul that close to the barren adventurer's soul is the zombie unit who Doesn't even Have one.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »

Could also exploit this to become a baron of a fort by playing until you reqch landholder status and selecting the adventurer as your baron.

Also, i know dfhack can be used to change an adventurers sexual orientation, do we have a script to write in preferences yet?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 09:13:21 pm »

the only other soul that close to the barren adventurer's soul is the zombie unit who Doesn't even Have one.

My character doesn't have a soul but only because she's a ginger :v

That said I am very interested in any script which would allow to make my adventurer a real little girl

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:46:45 am »

I seem to remember someone saying that if an retired adventurer migrates to a player controlled fortress, they get preferences (apparently that's when preferences are assigned).  Never experienced it myself, so I could be full of it...

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 06:22:53 am »

I find this incredibly fascinating :D

But people on the street will tell you, 'you are king'. That's gotta be worth it.

And flattering!

adventurer's souls are kinda empty and barebones compared to a Normal Dwarf's soul... or well any Dwarf fortress character's Soul.

Personally I was inspired by the RPG called 'OFF' (by Mortis Ghost) which refers to the Batter, the main character, as the 'puppet', and the player controlling him as 'the puppeteer'.

The Batter is aware of his and the player's status, that the player controls his movements and actions.

The Batter: I'm the Batter. I've been assigned to a sacred mission.
The Judge: It is a pleasure. However, it is not the puppet I was addressing, but the puppeteer controlling it. What is your name, dear puppeteer?
The Batter: His name is <player name here>. He can't talk to us. However, he can hear and see everything.

Can't talk to them, but sees and hears everything? Ha, that sounds a lot like what I do in lots of games!

Thus I personally find it easy to bring this Puppet-Puppeteer perception into other games, regardless of whether the characters are aware of the player.

So in the same way that's my relationship with my adventurer; I'm the puppeteer, and by my puppet's personality traits he feels no anger, stress or sadness, just like the awesome un-feeling purifier, the Batter. And so we travel the world together ridding it of bone-chilling horrors.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 11:37:43 am »

This is also possible if you massacre (kill pretty much everyone) in the mountainhome, and you are an adventurer from  that civ.
You keep what you kill.