Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quantum stockpiles  (Read 9868 times)

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum stockpiles
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:29 am »

I usually consider each tile as having infinite volume available to it, because a dragon takes one tile, and a kitten takes one tile, and any creatures bigger than a dragon also take one tile

Worse, an infinite number of creatures bigger than a dragon can also fit into one tile.  Well, right up until there are so many things in the tile that DF crashes or glitches out anyways.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 11:47:21 pm »

I blame Tolkien. He popularized the idea that four-foot humanoids would build a home with such unnecessarily high ceilings and wide corridors that it could be conquered and inhabited by a reptile larger than a barn. Toady, for all his cleverness, cannot resolve the contradiction inherent in the source material.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 07:41:06 pm »

Tolkien has it right.

In our history, the dangers of smoke in enclosed areas was understood by cave dwellers long before metals were in common use. If you wanted to get some animals out of a cave or a burrow then smoke was effective, and pitch, tar, or animal fats were available and produce a lot of smoke.

In Tolkien, many of the dwarf fortresses would have been built based on the experience of wars and sieges from earlier ages. Even if his dwarfs engineered air circulation systems with fans, they would understand that you need a large enough volume of air available in central areas to handle temporary issues. Consider a siege where orc sappers managed to start a grease fire that introduced smoke into the fortress. I can picture some orcs lowering snagas on ropes so they could access ventilation shafts the dwarfs put in the side of a sheer cliff.

Also, they also did not have the ability to compress raw oxygen into tanks. How long would a fully crewed 1940's submarine be able to stay submerged without compressed oxygen available to rejuvenate the air supply?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 04:29:37 am »

Also, they also did not have the ability to compress raw oxygen into tanks. How long would a fully crewed 1940's submarine be able to stay submerged without compressed oxygen available to rejuvenate the air supply?

Depends on the size of the boat, number of crew, and their activity level.  That being said, I know that a german type VIIc would need to use it's compressed oxygen tanks to refresh the air after between 3 and 12 hours.  Again, depending on the activity level of the crew.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines. That seems pretty reasonable to me, honestly.

I've never gotten around to using quantum stock piles (I experimented with them briefly but I just had dwarves hauling them, and the haulers were still so slow about everything that the added micromanagement of differentiating my QSPs from my actual dump zones wasn't worth the hassle). Of course, I'm not as focused on efficiency and FPS optimization as a lot of players, partly because I usually run a 2x2 embark so FPS and hauling distance isn't as much of an issue for me.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 06:19:07 am »

I mainly just like having the highly ineffeciently stockpiled materials, stone and wood, available in large numbers in small set places.  I have three 3x2 stockpiles of stone with wheelbarrels feeding a single minecart that dumps into my QSP, helps clear out new tunnels quickly too.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 11:48:44 am »

I wouldn't worry too much about 'exploits' or 'cheating', it is a single player game after all.  Remember the game's configuration options allow you to turn off most sources of danger if you're inclined, the idea of DF is to make good stories.  If QSPs make that not work for you, don't use them.

I've never used QSPs, because I'm lazy and because normal stockpiles seem to work well enough for me.  I also don't use atomsmashers, trap corridors, or drawbridges.  This is because I find that to be the most fun way to play. If I found it more fun to play with dwarves that were 10 times faster and stronger I'd do that, and I'd still be playing right.  Of course if I did that I'd probably have to mention it in any advice I gave...

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 05:52:57 am »

I never use exploits like QSP.

there are no criminals.
there are no exploits.

the undump for food, the minecart dispensor qsp, the entrance tunnels, dodge drop traps, forgotten beast traps/exhibits, water washers, silk farms, vampire rooms, inner forts, positive value reading rooms, locked-up wildlife  -- these are just tests of your planning and engineering skills -- which you have to pass in order to play!

exploits mean you cheat your self and you make your game boring and disgusting to your self. they are required so that you can stop playing overseer!  but even with them, like a fungus it grows and you'll get a new release sucking you back in .. in a few years.  so beware, what you call exploits are just building blocks for some -- likely to include your future self ;)
don't cook what you can brew
Pages: 1 [2]