Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training pet cave dragons  (Read 1771 times)

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training pet cave dragons
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:29:37 pm »

One of my dwarves likes cave dragons, and I happen to have one that I caught. I don't recall setting him to be available for adoption, but I made Urist McLikesdragons into an animal trainer and she seems to have adopted the dragon. Pets can't seem to be chained, and I'm having difficulty pasturing him as well. Is my best bet carving out a sealed off room which pets can't leave and designating it as a animal training zone? Or am I destined to have lots of !FUN!?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training pet cave dragons
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 05:38:32 pm »

Seal them away and wait for them to recess, learn from your mistake i guess.

Also word to the wise, cave dragons are born into adulthood so can't be tamed if you manage to get two coupled together, your trainers might yet always be busy handling them, in one way or another. Like you've found out they make poor pets for this reason.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:15 pm »

Adopted or bonded? They are not the same.
Pets can definitely be pastured, but trained animals, in particular war trained ones, seem to have a tendency to follow their trainer when bonded rather than stay in their pasture.
I'd set up a (pet) locked pasture that doubles as a training area and pasture the cave dragon there, and if that doesn't seem to work I'd have the bugger hauled off to a built cage.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:31:54 pm »

Pets can definitely be pastured, but trained animals, in particular war trained ones, seem to have a tendency to follow their trainer when bonded rather than stay in their pasture.
When was the last time you saw that behavior?
My war animals all remain in their pastures after assigning them to dwarves. I have to consciously remember to let them out when the squad goes raiding.

That's the reason the 'assign a captured war animal, watch it go berserk' bug was so easy to spot.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:37:31 pm »

Ome (the dragon) is waiting patiently in a makeshift pasture, waiting to be trained. For whatever reason, Urist McLikesdragons isn't training him. I'm considering putting another two pet-locked doors on the other side of the cage trap, to hopefully prevent wildlife from walking into the cage trap. I will let y'all know what happens, and whether Urist adopts him again without my say so.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:18:55 am »

My war animals all remain in their pastures after assigning them to dwarves. I have to consciously remember to let them out when the squad goes raiding.

That's the reason the 'assign a captured war animal, watch it go berserk' bug was so easy to spot.
I gave up on war animals sometime in 0.40.X after the second elephant started roaming the fortress shortly after being war trained and somehow persuaded the first one to do so as well. The second elephant was found starved to death at a depth of 90 or so, while I managed to butcher the first starving one before it died of starvation.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »

Ome (the dragon) is waiting patiently in a makeshift pasture, waiting to be trained. For whatever reason, Urist McLikesdragons isn't training him. I'm considering putting another two pet-locked doors on the other side of the cage trap, to hopefully prevent wildlife from walking into the cage trap. I will let y'all know what happens, and whether Urist adopts him again without my say so.
Careful with pet-locked doors. Creatures still attempt to path through them, which can cause FPS death.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »

Ome wasn't war-trained at all, really. I found out via savescumming a few times that if I allowed him out while he was semi-wild, he would attack one of my dwarves. I eventually waited for him to go wild and walk into the cave trap. Urist McLikesdragons is bonded to him, which could be fun. I think I'll construct colosseum topside to dispose of my trash unwanted visitors in. If I have Urist start engraving, I'm guessing there'll be a fair chance she engraves events involving him (as long as the aforementioned bond doesn't decay). It'll also be a lot easier to handle him if he's contained and wild than if he's loose and semiwild.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:20:46 pm »

Set the cave dragons trainers to "A" any in the livestock screen and activate a few more trainers in the labour screen. They should take over training if the first one can't for whatever reason. Your original dwarf should still be bonded with him.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:21:09 pm »

I gave up on war animals sometime in 0.40.X after the second elephant started roaming the fortress shortly after being war trained and somehow persuaded the first one to do so as well. The second elephant was found starved to death at a depth of 90 or so, while I managed to butcher the first starving one before it died of starvation.
Hmm. Doesn't seem to happen any more. Or it might just be a war elephant thing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 06:09:43 pm »

Just a development, meeting zones overlapped with pastures keep pets staying within that area, it should in theory keep your cave dragon still considering if you're fine with other dwarves mingling there.

It makes convenient places to store non-grazer pets migrants bring, makes dwarves happier too to occasionally see their pets when on break with no job idling.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:31 am »

It might well be for the best to devote a few dwarves purely to keeping it trained. Think of it as a military investment.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 03:41:50 pm »

if I allowed him out while he was semi-wild, he would attack one of my dwarves.

You're letting him out too early I believe. If their name still has the word wild in it, I keep them caged or chained until they lose the wild or semi wild status.
Oh and make sure you have meat! Cave dragons are carnivores. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Training
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.