Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RAW discussion over strange [ANIMAL] entity effects.  (Read 908 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RAW discussion over strange [ANIMAL] entity effects.
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:22 pm »

I've come here to seek help because i've encountered something strange, i am not sure whether this is a genuine bug or somehow a recursive act of my modding, error log isn't spitting anything out at me and the remainder of the game seems stable and concise.

When you create custom creature fields and apply them restrictively, it appears to enable a strange behaviour where all creatures that are "general familiarity" either through specific tags or [USE_UNDERGROUND_CREATURES] etc entity tags eventually become domesticated pets, this includes all of the 1st and limited 2nd layer creatures described by use_underground creatures. Including all creatures in the surrounding biomes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the given picture, i was able to embark with giant crocodiles, and i will await to see if i can order more crocodiles or underground creatures from merchants but this is extremely wierd and appears to work through the list taming them in world-generation. As you can see jabberers are still untamed but much of everything else is in 20 years of world generation.

In my mind its a bugfix to something that hasn't been a issue in a while but was originally badly implemented when DF moved over to the new animals taming system from dungeon masters a long time ago.

I applied this code onto the dwarven & human civilisations as so they wouldn't tame my evil & good pets with the class by accident and are locked out from even doing so accidentally in world-generation.
Code: [Select]
        [ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:EVIL_PET]
[ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:GOOD_PET]

which were custom creature classes i made to keep my raws organised and work with [ANIMAL], none of the listed animals cross into that list and other civilisations with the creatures allowed seem to follow the [ANIMAL] rules with no particular complications. However, creatures with [CREATURE_CLASS] allowed through [ANIMAL] have unlimited range for how deep underground they are taken looking for creatures to tame with that class tag.

Leading to examples of blind cave trolls (layer 2 usually inaccessible) being tamed in world generation by goblins and wreaking havoc rather than the typical first layer response. Which was what i wanted from the tag but suprised me to actually recieve it, thinking that i would have had to make a goblin fortress first and tame them myself.

To end, i don't know what caused this precisely from a game logic standpoint, but it should hopefully serve as instructive to you in avoiding it if you want to, i've reconstructed this effect on multiple worlds using virtually the same entity and creature raw build.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RAW discussion over strange [ANIMAL] entity effects.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:39 pm »

Talking with Chaosvolt over in discord, it appears to be logical that a lack of a accepted animal class and only a forbidden one creates a blacklist of all other normal adjacent pet creatures in range of entity tags and just local biomes to be ready to tame.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:29:21 pm »

Someone mentioned using [CREATURE_CLASS:POISONOUS] or something similar to embark with demons. It does seem a little wonky right now.

My current solution has been to use specific creatures with [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT] and it's reliably made things work for me.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 05:52:31 am »

only got Angels from General_poison creature class, demons seem to be void of any creature classes tokens when randomly generated.
then again I could been unlucky in generating a world with a demon type that had Poisonous features.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 07:30:37 am »

Wait. Are demon civilisation leaders actually codified in such a way like...

[ALLOWED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[ALLOWED_CREATURE:DEMON_] // a educated guess from string-dump

I know demons have string dump of [DEMON] and [UNIQUE_DEMON] though its not the most comprehensive list and seems to be a contexual behind the scenes tag like [GENERATE_DIVINE_MATS] for angels.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:39:05 am »

diving through Dfhack to check the Raws on Demons kinda show them with out a creature class, didn't see a poisonous on one of them.
probably be possible to get a demon via shoving DEMON_1 in the animal list and pray.

ok so experimenting with DEMON_1 and yeah it works you can generate a world and make an entity start or buy a demon.
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:DEMON_1]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_WAGON_PULLER]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PACK_ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_SIEGE]
so that means it's possible to do something like say night_creature_20 and roll the generator and hope for a bogeyman to be added to the pet embark pool
edit: looks like that's the case

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:51:14 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes