Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with new world generation settings  (Read 723 times)

psychohobbit1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with new world generation settings
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »

I have a world I like that I generated in v0.40.24. I tried to recreate it in 44.07 with the export. The map I got has identically shaped landmasses but the rivers, civilization sites, and biomes are very different. Upon examining everything I realized the new version has settings not present in the old one.

Is there anyone here who knows how to manipulate these new settings enough to recreate the old world, or should I start generating dozens of worlds until I get something similar.

Files for both worlds at http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13602

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with new world generation settings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:43:24 am »

There is no way to transform seeds from an old version such that they generate the same or very similar world, as a single extra or removed usage of a random number will effectively scramble everything from that point on.
The closest you can get is probably to export the old world as PSV data and use that as the source for the new one. This will preserve the shape and biomes, but civ sites, rivers, and evil/good distribution will still be unpredictable. Using that as a starting point you can of course get closer to what you want faster than starting with only a fixed geography seed.

psychohobbit1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with new world generation settings
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:15:55 am »

Okay, good to know. I'll just remove the file from dffd and start generating worlds then.