Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest ingame history passed?  (Read 2794 times)

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
Longest ingame history passed?
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »

I've seen a few players that record the history of their worlds, some of them exceeding a good 50+ years or more. I am curious - what is the longest amount of time you've played through a world after genning? This can include all sequential plays such as fortresses and adventures. How did the world change as the years went by? Were you able to guide a dying civ to resurrection or see the downfall of once glorious superpowers?

If anyone has recorded histories they'd like to share, please do.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Longest ingame history passed?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:09:07 pm »

Honestly rarely make it past the first 2 or 3 years post gen before I get bored with the world and spawn a new one. :P

Hoping that'll change once magic gen makes individual worlds more detailed and interesting.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:16 pm »

Archcrystal has been running for almost 500 years.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:10 pm »

I play for 2-3 playthroughs, then I start an apocalypse by spawning in as an unkillable Doom Dragon and killing everything. Or sometimes I leave it alone.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 10:04:08 am »

I'm not sure I've ever played multiple forts in a single world, and generally gen new ones if I get bored or done with the previous fort.  That's usually because I want to change something for the next fort that requires a world regen.

I think the longest fort I've played was around the 30-40 year range.  I'm impressed by those which have gone on for centuries, but the game just gets a little too repetitive for me after a few decades.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:03:03 am »

I like playing pocket worlds with over 8000 years of history. After a few millennia things tend to become static but it picks up again after worldgen ends usually.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »

I like playing pocket worlds with over 8000 years of history. After a few millennia things tend to become static but it picks up again after worldgen ends usually.

That seems like it would put you on the express train to goblin-land to be honest.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 03:36:57 pm »

I've been playing onthe same world for 17 years in game, one year real time. I'm very concerned about possible file corruption due to updates... but I can't be asked to legend dive this much again in a new setting

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »

That seems like it would put you on the express train to goblin-land to be honest.
If this is a problem, just give them max ages.
Long ones maybe, but a max age.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 01:01:27 am »

I've been playing onthe same world for 17 years in game, one year real time. I'm very concerned about possible file corruption due to updates... but I can't be asked to legend dive this much again in a new setting

Yeah, it has ~2 years to live, because Myth will break saves.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 06:32:55 am »

At this point I'll probably just stop updating my DF if no workaround can be found. Either that or the interest I have for my world has been exhausted but I can't see that happening anytipme soon

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 06:37:45 am »

At this point I'll probably just stop updating my DF if no workaround can be found. Either that or the interest I have for my world has been exhausted but I can't see that happening anytipme soon

The thought of playing a world for 3 years weird me out. But do as you wish while I will be busy blowing stuff up.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 06:56:11 am »

The thought of playing a world for 3 years weird me out.

Doesn't take much... Have fun anyways

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 07:59:51 pm »

Yeah, it has ~2 years to live, because Myth will break saves.

Could you elaborate on this? Is this an update thing only, or do Age of Myth saves have a limited lifespan?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »

I think it's a reference to the fact that the Myth release will almost certainly break save compatibility since it's going to change some underpinnings of the game.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2