Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrusting with clay gems  (Read 1055 times)

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrusting with clay gems
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:18:43 am »

Hey there Folks!
I really like to train my gem cutters with clay. I also would like to instruct my gem setters with the encrusting of specific furniture types so I can put the furniture they train on to best use. However in order to encrust specific furniture I need to specifically select them in linked stockpiles, which leads to a problem: I do not find the material type "clay" under the gem category of the stockpile. I understand that cutting clay like precious stones can be considered an exploit, but I really would like to use those stones.
Are they just considered "cut stone gems" and are therefor stockpiled when the material stone is activated?

Is it correct, that weapons can only be encrusted through modifying the raws? Those weapon traps at the entrance to my fort would generate a lot more happy thoughts if they would be encrusted.
Thank you for your time
Feng

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrusting with clay gems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:51:36 am »

You could define a burrow that includes the workshop, furniture stockpile and clay boulder stockpile, then set 'limit workshops to burrow'. I'm not sure which version introduced that setting but it's pretty handy. If there's no stockpile that accepts the cut clay gems, they will pile up in the workshop and still be permitted for use in encrusting. It will still work if you expand the burrow to include extra workshops.

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:21:20 am »

So if the required materials are not inside the burrow the job will be canceled?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »

You could use the stocks screen to forbid all the non-clay gems.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:15 pm »

So if the required materials are not inside the burrow the job will be canceled?

Correct. That's to prevent things like Planepacked happening. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.