Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread  (Read 39729 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 02:01:10 am »

Looking at the banlist really is kinda surreal. A bunch of jerks or people I never noticed, but then a few who were kinda central to the community. I guess it just shows that the great moderator in the sky doesn't care how popular or important someone is, if they're making a mess and are unwilling to fix it.
The Toad moves in mysterious ways.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 02:12:32 am »

On topic, I miss the more active FG&RP threads. They weren't high literature by a long shot but there was something very enjoyable about being part of a group of people arguing and making stuff and just having fun with it. Very much a guilty pleasure and an enjoyable waste of time.
You remember not the horror of Twilight Academy, and this shall be your downfall

I do too, though. I'm in a few FEFs, but since they're so combat-oriented we don't have very much time for any significant roleplaying.
Black lives matter.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:01 am »

Looking at the banlist really is kinda surreal. A bunch of jerks or people I never noticed, but then a few who were kinda central to the community. I guess it just shows that the great moderator in the sky doesn't care how popular or important someone is, if they're making a mess and are unwilling to fix it.

I do think the distant moderator method is one of the best ways to handle a forum. No favouritism and involvement in disputes, just viewing things from a neutral perspective based on the forum rules.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 03:26:23 am »

Huh. Just over six years ago, I joined the forum and stopped my lurking to play forum games. I think the forums felt more calm and happy back then because I willingly ignored any darkness about it. We're humans, other than the occasional bot, but it's still weird to think that Bay12 isn't a happy supportive paradise. Maybe that was just younger me talking though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 07:07:47 am »

Oh, wait, greatorder, you're back, aren't you?

I've always been a little envious of the inner circle of easily identifiable forumites and all the things they contributed to the community, being usually too withdrawn or uninteresting to speak out, and lacking the self-importance to thrust myself amongst them. As the heart of the lower boards shifts and the old guard leaves, I must ask- who changes, it, or we who follow it?

I wonder who acutely those who are or are percieved as important to a community feel that importance.

Strange thing, to be watching the world here for almost a decade...

I recognise you, both in name and avatars, and is always happy when I see you post something.

You know, I must post enough that a bunch of people recognize me at this point, but I still always feel like Some Rando.
...I hope that those who recognize me don't think I'm that much of a jerk, on balance. I try to be nice most of the time, honest!

You definitely post enough to be recognised ;)

As for feeling envious of the "inner circle" or whatever, I've always shared the same feeling. Then again, trouble making connections beyond acquaintances is pretty much me summed up in a sentence, both on the webs and in real life.

Honestly, though, I really miss the old-guard power users. The place feels so different these days--everyone seems so glum, nobody goes on the big multi-page tangents, there's a lot more arguing and vitriol than I remember.

We grow up, the illusions of the world fall from our eyes, and we grow bitter and acerbic and disappointed.

Still pretentious as fuck though ;)
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 07:20:41 am »

Dohbleposting because I'm lazy

That guy, the penguin in the hat, thought that the sound that typing on a keyboard should be represented by the sound effect *fap*, whilst not knowing the commonly used meaning of that word in internet circles. This resulted in an embarrassing comment and the birth of a tiny meme, I guess.
I wasn't there, I just lurk enough that I've heard the story multiple times. Hello nostalgic folks!
Huh.

Well.

That doesn't really do it justice in all it's embarrassing glory. It begins here, then it goes on and off during the following pages.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 07:52:25 am »

God, on Oct 21st of this year I'll have been on this forum for 10 years. Literally more than a third of my life, and growing. Oh well, let's keep it up.

I recently thought of Aqizzar, and I can't even remember the last time he had posted. There's actually so many posters that have unknowingly become iconic characters in my dull life, and they entered and disappeared from my acquaintance without me even really knowing anything about them besides what little they've posted about themselves on this forum.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 08:34:25 am »

Looking at the ban list, I can say that I started actively post right after GWG got banned and stopped right after smeeprocket got banned. Everything that occurred after that is an unknown
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:04 am »

The things I have seen in these last 8 years. The depths of madness and shitposting. Penguins. Threads being derailed so hard they ended up going all the way around to the original topic. Don't feel like stopping yet.

It's always strange when some young whippersnapper, such as TBF, popped up and started bragging about having a huge post count while I have not yet broken 10k. Still, I'd rather be deliberate in my shitposting, rather than firing small one-line posts all over the place.

Now get off my lawn, you darn kids, and let us old forumers wax nostalgic alone.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:44 am »

I feel weird about this, since I was never too active, and didn't make anything too great, but I have visited this forum for some 4~5 years already...

I do feel that some old users have gone while not enough new high activity users took up on the task.

You are definitely recognized Egan.
In a time before time, I had a name.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 11:09:31 am »

You remember not the horror of Twilight Academy, and this shall be your downfall

I do too, though. I'm in a few FEFs, but since they're so combat-oriented we don't have very much time for any significant roleplaying.

I wasn't in Twilight Academy so I can't remember the horror. It was before I got involved in that portion of FG&RP.

Ugh. This is making me want to make my own forum game to try and recapture the magic now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 11:52:56 am »

Honestly, though, I really miss the old-guard power users. The place feels so different these days--everyone seems so glum, nobody goes on the big multi-page tangents, there's a lot more arguing and vitriol than I remember.

It's always seemed fairly consistent to me.
Mm, perhaps it's not quite as bad as grumpy-3:00 AM-me thought it was. But I maintain that things still feel fundamentally different with so many people gone--quieter, more understated, less overt silliness.
It's really strange looking at the banlist, for sure. I still remember most of the people on it in some capacity, especially their avatars. Still remember the first ban I witnessed--Gervassen, who showed up in my old gendersex thread (back when those could have lassiez-faire thread moderating) and started rambling on about biotruths and steroids and shit.

I've seen Orange Wizard and Graknorke on Reddit a few times. Didn't say anything, though, and my Reddit username is different from my Bay12 username, so they wouldn't have recognized me anyway.

I do want to try to reintegrate myself into the community and post more. And stop checking the politics thread, I think half my problem is that I keep reading that damn thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »

I've seen GWG on literally a dozen different sites - the name is different, but the avatar and writing style is distinct. That dude must never go offline to be so prolific.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »

Given how GWG acted before he was banned... Yeah. Pretty much.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:43 pm »

I actually saw him on Reddit once, as well, under the same name.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11