Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread  (Read 39683 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 12:58:05 pm »

I wasn't in Twilight Academy so I can't remember the horror. It was before I got involved in that portion of FG&RP.

Ugh. This is making me want to make my own forum game to try and recapture the magic now.
I'm not going to say you should do that, but I'm not saying you shouldn't.
Black lives matter.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 01:00:04 pm »

Y'all remember the time when some random weirdo tried to impose a thing called the Nexus on all forum games?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:17 pm »

Did that have anything to do with the selling of forum game slots on Patreon?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 01:11:37 pm »

Did that have anything to do with the selling of forum game slots on Patreon?

Two different guys, if I recall the Nexus dude was a pretty sad sounding story of a mentally ill dude trying to impose his vision of reality on the world in a way that clearly didn't work. The patreon dude is still active in FG&RPing I'm pretty sure, under a different name.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »

I'm not going to say you should do that, but I'm not saying you shouldn't.

Yeah. I just need a concept and system that I won't dump after an hour or two of fiddling with it first.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:46 pm »

Y'all remember the time when some random weirdo tried to impose a thing called the Nexus on all forum games?
Oh lord I do. Something about him trying to create what was effectively an internet multiverse connected by his Nexus thing that'd allow any forum game to affect any other or somesuch, right?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 01:31:10 pm »

Yup! I think he ended up calling us terrorists for not accepting his vision or something
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:43:52 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 01:42:58 pm »

I’ve not been around quite as long as other people, I haven’t been as active as other people, and I’ve certainly not been as much of a pillar of the community as other people, but I’ve certainly been around a long time now. Seven years! I’ve been here since I was thirteen.

Probably the single most nostalgic part of looking back on my history on the forum is seeing how I’ve matured and evolved over the years. I went from both barely able to write and incredibly stupid when I was 13 in the days of DF Arena and Deviation-22 and putting the same character in 6 RTDs or so, to much more coherent but not great RP such as the first Fire Emblem on Forums to both much smarter and MUCH better at writing nowadays, and I can see my own kind of journey just by looking at my old posts. It’s surreal.

As for someone who was wondering why FG&RP has kind of turned into suggestion games and arms race though there’s also FEF, seeing as several of the old active RPers from those super wild rapidfire games are present in the mysterious FEF discord cabal, I can hazard an answer: basically, as we got older a lot of us got more things to occupy our time and more importantly to occupy our energy, and as that happened we started to gravitate towards games that are more structured and/or slower.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 03:13:00 pm »

Oh yeah, I 'member. That was awesome. But, like someone else mentioned, it got kind of sad after a while.

Yup! I think he ended up calling us terrorists for not accepting his vision or something
Indeed he did.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »

Is there a link to that somewhere? It sounds vaguely familiar to me but I can't remember anything concrete.
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:44 pm »

I'm 95% certain that the original thread was nuked by Toady. Some summary/whatever might be floating around though. I'm not sure.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 03:46:00 pm »

I might have screenshots of the thread floating around somewhere. If not, ring up penguinofhonor, I think she's got some.

That said, we should probably nix this conversation. Toady doesn't want us talking about it, partially because he doesn't want the forum associated with it if you google it and partially because iirc the guy was legitimately mentally ill and there's only so long we can talk about it before it becomes a point-and-laugh thing.
As for someone who was wondering why FG&RP has kind of turned into suggestion games and arms race though there’s also FEF, seeing as several of the old active RPers from those super wild rapidfire games are present in the mysterious FEF discord cabal, I can hazard an answer: basically, as we got older a lot of us got more things to occupy our time and more importantly to occupy our energy, and as that happened we started to gravitate towards games that are more structured and/or slower.
Fair enough. I suppose another part of it is that the people who were really into freeforms disappeared into the aether, apparently finding other forums in which to engage in rapid-fire rp'ing with no rules.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »

I mean, I used to not have anything to do so I could run half a dozen RTDs at a time, just spending a full workday writing up turns for them at 1-2 hours each. On one hand that's a lot of writing done, on the other hand holy hell I remember that being so exhausting.

All in all, we have collectively grown older and colder. I recall Einsteinian Roulette being something of a draw for the RTD board, it's definitely what made me sign up and do forum games to start with and you had new forumites coming in for it like monthly, sometimes weekly. Dropped off the PW train myself so I couldn't say if it's still the case, but either way things changing isn't all bad - I'm definitely in a much better place now than I was when I devoted all my time to writing forum game turns, personally. I've basically kicked the habit entirely and moved on to actual tabletop stuff instead since it tends to be much better paced and more emotionally rewarding, although I still want to start another forum game at some point, partly to get back into regularly writing (seriously, FG&RP has transformed my writing like you wouldn't believe), partly to recapture some of that lovely nostalgia, partly to bring some less shitty game design ideas to the table compared to when I used to vomit half-baked game concepts onto Roller's Block nearly every couple of days.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 04:23:48 pm »

People have less to say here as they grow up. Or they're more careful about saying it, I guess.

Also, less fresh blood. I do wonder if the prevalent stillness is slightly because DF's not had any seismic changes recently (I.e. adv. mode, z-levels) just had huge improvements on already present ideas and content added best appreciated by those who already play it (musical intruments).

Mythgen, by that theory, would shake things up. But perhaps this is wishful thinking.
One wheel short of a wagon

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 05:03:47 pm »

It'll be 6 years in December for me, but my posting has dropped significantly in the last three years.

I friended GWG on Steam. Even played EUIV with him once or twice after he got banned.

I mean, I used to not have anything to do so I could run half a dozen RTDs at a time, just spending a full workday writing up turns for them at 1-2 hours each. On one hand that's a lot of writing done, on the other hand holy hell I remember that being so exhausting.

All in all, we have collectively grown older and colder. I recall Einsteinian Roulette being something of a draw for the RTD board, it's definitely what made me sign up and do forum games to start with and you had new forumites coming in for it like monthly, sometimes weekly. Dropped off the PW train myself so I couldn't say if it's still the case, but either way things changing isn't all bad - I'm definitely in a much better place now than I was when I devoted all my time to writing forum game turns, personally. I've basically kicked the habit entirely and moved on to actual tabletop stuff instead since it tends to be much better paced and more emotionally rewarding, although I still want to start another forum game at some point, partly to get back into regularly writing (seriously, FG&RP has transformed my writing like you wouldn't believe), partly to recapture some of that lovely nostalgia, partly to bring some less shitty game design ideas to the table compared to when I used to vomit half-baked game concepts onto Roller's Block nearly every couple of days.
I gotta say, I loved the RTDs and concepts you made. I don't think I ever participated in them, but I really enjoyed reading your games. I hope you're entertaining people in tabletop as much as in FG&RP.

I used to run RTDs a bit, its what got me into Bay12, but commitment to a concept was a problem. Running an RTD always became a chore when the excitement of the initial concept died out, and eventually i'd just stop updating and find something new to do. But I got tired of that and discovered Mafia and other sections of the lower boards, and then other things outside the forum.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11