Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread  (Read 36459 times)

greatorder

Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:22:40 pm »

Since I accidentally set up a small black hole of NostalgiaTM in the WTF thread, I figured I may as well make this for us old folk here that have many memories of the place before you damn whippersnappers got here. I say this as a whippersnapper to some even older members.

Anyway, we were on the subject of old FGRP threads, missing members, and my fap incident.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic Going-Ons Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »

I have to say, I kinda want to hear about this fap incident.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:39 pm »

May have happened during the hiatus from the forum that I had. Think I heard it had something to do with the keyboard. *shrug*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:39:22 pm »

That guy, the penguin in the hat, thought that the sound that typing on a keyboard should be represented by the sound effect *fap*, whilst not knowing the commonly used meaning of that word in internet circles. This resulted in an embarrassing comment and the birth of a tiny meme, I guess.
I wasn't there, I just lurk enough that I've heard the story multiple times. Hello nostalgic folks!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:44:35 pm »

That guy, the penguin in the hat, thought that the sound that typing on a keyboard should be represented by the sound effect *fap*, whilst not knowing the commonly used meaning of that word in internet circles. This resulted in an embarrassing comment and the birth of a tiny meme, I guess.
I wasn't there, I just lurk enough that I've heard the story multiple times. Hello nostalgic folks!
Huh.

Well.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:17:19 pm »

...shit, I’ve been on bay12 for 6 years.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 11:23:50 pm »

9 years for me, what the hell

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »

... yeah, I'd probably be more nostalgic about stuff if I could remember much of it without some kind of prompting. Never really been particularly focused on that sort of remembrance to begin with, and these days trying generally just leaves me mildly depressed (well, more than usual) as a reminder my memory's going to shit. So try to not dwell on it much, heh.

Do kinda' miss any number of the more energetic folks that have trundled off over the years, though. It's... encouraging, I guess, to interact with people that have that sort of drive. Ameliorates some of the frustration having trouble engaging like that brings up. Seem to have less of it lately-ish, though gods know part of that is probably just some sort of projection or somethin' along those lines.

And it's s'a'ight, xant. Been putzing around for over a decade now, m'self, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:06:36 am »

You know, I must post enough that a bunch of people recognize me at this point, but I still always feel like Some Rando.
...I hope that those who recognize me don't think I'm that much of a jerk, on balance. I try to be nice most of the time, honest!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:14:34 am »

I'm just sort of here, moldering. VN was but a memory at the time of my arrival.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:17 am »

You know, I must post enough that a bunch of people recognize me at this point, but I still always feel like Some Rando.
...I hope that those who recognize me don't think I'm that much of a jerk, on balance. I try to be nice most of the time, honest!

I think that everyone feels that way at some point or another. Or at the very least you aren't alone because I feel that way a lot.

On topic, I miss the more active FG&RP threads. They weren't high literature by a long shot but there was something very enjoyable about being part of a group of people arguing and making stuff and just having fun with it. Very much a guilty pleasure and an enjoyable waste of time.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 01:35:06 am »

About 4 1/2 years for me. My nostalgia is kind of tainted by the fact that I habitually wince whenever I remember who I was at the tender young age of 13.

To you guys who feel unrecognized, don't! I dunno about everybody else but this place is small enough that I usually recognize basically everybody who posts.

Honestly, though, I really miss the old-guard power users. The place feels so different these days--everyone seems so glum, nobody goes on the big multi-page tangents, there's a lot more arguing and vitriol than I remember. My entire Steam friends list is composed of people who shot offers my way when I dropped my "StEaM iS eViL" schtick; I have not seen some 60% of my Steam friends list in at least a few months. I used to waste afternoons reading Wikipedia articles in between refreshing GD to check for new posts, but I just can't do that anymore--there's hours between posts most days. On the front page right now, there's a thread nobody's posted in since the 23rd.

Also, what the heck happened to FG&RP? When I joined up it was effectively Play-By-Post & Freeforms, but now it's closer to Arms Race & Suggestion Games. Haven't seen a play-by-post tabletop game run there since I quietly let my last Pathfinder game die. Most of the old FG&RP crowd seems to have disappeared entirely, save the FEF regulars.

E: Also, Mafia is horrendously dead. As far as I can tell, there's only enough people to run one game at a time, and it seems like the same cabal of regulars (along with assorted noobs filtering in from fgrp) forms the backbone of every game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:42:00 am by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 01:54:33 am »

[Crossposting from the WTF thread because I didn't see this thread until just now]

nostalgic.
I remember during the summer of 2014 I was camping when the news of DF's 2014 update was first coming out, and I had nothing with me to play it on aside from my craptop which could barely run it. But it was worth it anyway because I got to experience "It was inevitable" becoming some huge meme which wasn't that funny but we all laughed at it anyway. There are still a handful of crazy people who still think it's funny. not me, nope.

I also remember that around that same time a Wyrm of the Gold persuasion and some other kid both got banned and I thought it was funny as fuck at the time for reasons that I cannot remember.

FAKE-EDIT: I just remembered that particular release of DF got hyped so hard that the forums died for a while due to having too many people on them. That was awesome.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:58:47 am »

Honestly, though, I really miss the old-guard power users. The place feels so different these days--everyone seems so glum, nobody goes on the big multi-page tangents, there's a lot more arguing and vitriol than I remember.

It's always seemed fairly consistent to me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 02:00:26 am »

Looking at the banlist really is kinda surreal. A bunch of jerks or people I never noticed, but then a few who were kinda central to the community. I guess it just shows that the great moderator in the sky doesn't care how popular or important someone is, if they're making a mess and are unwilling to fix it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11