Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Runeset: Rune Based ASCII Tileset  (Read 18470 times)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Runeset: Rune Based ASCII Tileset
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:41 am »

Runeset is an RSCII* font pack for Dwarf Fortress.

Designed for making super awesome fantasy maps in vanilla DF, yet still completely playable.

UPDATE: Now with even more LOTR, Runeset+Aniron blends the runic alphabet with a more recognizable font, for improved readability.

* (Runic Standard Code for Information Interchange), none of that american standards stuff for dorf computers.

I made a number of small tweaks and improvements to differentiate between large and small mountains/hills, and increased the prominence of peaks/volcanos.

24x and 16x versions. (They don't play well with Imgur's compression algorithm.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Readability for Runeset is fairly low, if you really like the look but find it difficult to parse text, you can try Runeset+Anrion (included in the download package) which replaces much of the lower case alphabet with a modified LOTR font. Best use is with TWBT: Runeset for graphics and Runeset+Anrion for text, because the Runic characters still look best for ingame for creatures.

Runeset

Runeset+Aniron

Download the complete set here : http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13609

Credit to Meph for the awesome Meph Map Tileset, which got me started on designing a set with the map in mind.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:40:37 pm by monkeyfritz »
Dabbling Tilesetter produced a masterwork Ж ƦūɳϵsϵŦ Ж

Dabbling Tilesetter enters a strange mood.
Dabbling Tilesetter hastily scribbles pictures of Stained Glass

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runeset: Rune Based ASCII Tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:07 pm »

I like this map, especially the way the blue ocean looks on the tan parchment, also the dark green trees.

These walls confused me at first. It makes a nice transition.

As a suggestion for the mountains, maybe they could have a gradual increase in contrast in the 3 heights of mountains. Here's an example from CLA:
The shorter two mountains are darker and the highest one is lighter as if maybe there was snow on it. Having the shorter mountains be darker would help them contrast more with adjacent pale green hills.

In most tilesets the point of the peak is taller than the surrounding mountains. I think that helps it look taller than the tall mountains. In Runeset the peak looks a bit shorter than the tall mountains.
Spoiler: Runeset peak (click to show/hide)

Have you experimented with outlines for the glaciers?

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »

As a suggestion for the mountains, maybe they could have a gradual increase in contrast in the 3 heights of mountains. Here's an example from CLA:

The shorter two mountains are darker and the highest one is lighter as if maybe there was snow on it. Having the shorter mountains be darker would help them contrast more with adjacent pale green hills.

In most tilesets the point of the peak is taller than the surrounding mountains. I think that helps it look taller than the tall mountains. In Runeset the peak looks a bit shorter than the tall mountains.

That's a good idea, the small and large mountains looked a little too similar, but I wasn't sure what more to do with them. I could maybe even just add an extra pixel thickness to the large one.

But as far as the peak, isn't the only purpose to show there is a volcano there? I know I've embarked on at least one that was just a small hill. I didn't think they had anything to do with elevation, so I just went for a smoking mountain look.

Have you experimented with outlines for the glaciers?

I thought it would make the edges better, but the first attempt ruined the tiling effect, and I liked it better without. Especially ingame as mist with waterfalls and stuff. It's kinda cool in motion.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:50:22 pm »

Lord of the Runes update.

A number of requested changes, and a whole new included tileset: Runeset+Anrion.

For those who like LOTR fonts with their LOTR maps.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:31:37 am »

The font looks very good - dare I say even legible! - for a runic tileset. Well done OP :D

F4LK5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:57:30 pm »

Hey, been using the Tileset since you posted it in the subreddit.
I can only assume this is a mistake and hope it is fixable, though small its really grating.

Ive made 4 of these 1x3 bridges and when vertical (widest from top to bottom of screen) the bottom edge is a different size tile to the top edge. Horizontal bridges are unaffected.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:54:49 am »

Ive made 4 of these 1x3 bridges and when vertical (widest from top to bottom of screen) the bottom edge is a different size tile to the top edge. Horizontal bridges are unaffected.

Wow, yeah that's easilly fixed. Just a stupid mistake.

I could have sworn the wiki listed the table as a bridge tile, but apparently it's the chair. So I based the other three bridge ends on a rotated table.

It's just crazy that I never even noticed it. I played several forts with the set, I just never built 1x bridges. I'll have a fix up in the morning. And I'll have to fix my new set, where I did the same thing.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 08:11:13 am »

Hey, been using the Tileset since you posted it in the subreddit.
I can only assume this is a mistake and hope it is fixable, though small its really grating.

Uploaded a new version with the correct bridge cap tiles to the DFFD.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13609

Let me know if you have any more issues. :)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 06:12:01 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Runeset_24x24.png

Trying to use the latest version of this tileset, tile colors are all messed up.
Downloading the archived version right below instead, things look fine.

Do i have to change some df init settings in order to enable compatibility with the later version?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:15:34 am by Lord Snow »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:12 pm »

I was wondering: Would it be ok if I added the two fonts you made as optional TWBT fonts to my launcher? People can change those with one click. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 10:47:15 pm »

I was wondering: Would it be ok if I added the two fonts you made as optional TWBT fonts to my launcher? People can change those with one click. :)

That's fine by me.  :)

Holy Egg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:44:37 pm »

Been using this set exclusively on my latest fort and absolutely loving the aesthetic. I've noticed one issue though, the 16x16 Runeset image seems to be much blurrier than the 16x16 Runeset+Aniron, so I've only been using the Aniron set. Would really like to use the runic set for gameplay with Aniron for text as recommended. Any chance you could look into it?

Thanks!

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:18:23 am »

Been using this set exclusively on my latest fort and absolutely loving the aesthetic. I've noticed one issue though, the 16x16 Runeset image seems to be much blurrier than the 16x16 Runeset+Aniron, so I've only been using the Aniron set. Would really like to use the runic set for gameplay with Aniron for text as recommended. Any chance you could look into it?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a 2 year old and an 11 month old and I am only just beginning to experience this thing called "free time" again.

I know the problem and have started work on an updated version. There's a few things I've been meaning to improve, in particular with the 16x and 24x versions. Should have it up in a day or two.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 02:40:55 pm »

the 16x16 Runeset image seems to be much blurrier than the 16x16 Runeset+Aniron

Here's a cleaned up version of the 16x16 Runeset.

Holy Egg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 04:33:38 pm »

Beautiful, thank you  :)
Pages: [1] 2