Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 48826 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:26 am »

Snippet:

after playing my chanter for a while again, I've come to re-realize the problem once again: the chanter is a bit boring.

In no small measure because it's an one trick pony. In the sense that they can be built in many ways, but there are few chants to pick from, and few picks to begin with. Therefore it feels kind of limited. 

I think it should be more similar to priest in regards to chants. You should get ALL the chants, and pick and choose invocations. As it is... it feels lame. Not powerless mind you, summons are very good.  But... meh.  Cipher felt better in that regard

How important is per anyway? I'm torn between the "OMYGOSH its very important" and the lame truth that you only get one dot of acc by point
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:35:17 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:56 pm »

THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

I've started playing this again with the new game coming out. I enjoyed the setting and the writing (granted, some of it was a bit bland) but found the combat really annoying. It seemed to be so similar to Icewind Dale/BG, but just slightly off in a way that really grated. The battles seemed way too fast and cluttered, odd restrictions about battle movement and recover, and bizarre stats that seemed overly obtuse. I mainly got through it (although never got close to completing it) by picking skills/spells/etc that annoyed me the least, rather than what was good.

However, I just discovered IEmod, and it's really, really improved the combat for me. It tries to make it more like the icewind dale games, and does it quite well with just a few tweaks. It doesn't fix the million of secondary stats or anything, but it does get rid of some annoying mechanics like disengagement.

I'd strongly recommend putting it on at least hard mode to compensate for things like pre-battle buffs and lack of friendly fire (everything is toggle-able though). Well worth a go in my opinion.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]