Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Doki doki literature club: only META~  (Read 18502 times)

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: Doki doki literature club: only META~
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2018, 06:16:50 pm »

Yeah, I didn't really have any expectations and it made the whole experience fantastic. There are a few parts that are stuck in my head now, ha, and I guess it did it's job in that regard.

I know from experience that just because you like something, not everyone does, especially when it comes to games centered around world-building and character driven plots, instead of gameplay. Stuff like that is really subjective.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:16 pm »

It finally happened.

I think this just goes to show that any indie game fandom that gets sufficiently popular blends with Undertale. I dare you to find an exception.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 05:38:23 pm »

I think this just goes to show that any indie game fandom that gets sufficiently popular blends with Undertale. I dare you to find an exception.

i think the obvious answer is we need to blend dwarf fortress with undertale.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:53 pm »

i think the obvious answer is we need to blend dwarf fortress with undertale.

...mod when?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2018, 10:32:51 am »

Human child Chara grabs weasel man by the upper back teeth!
Human child Chara throws weasel man!
weasel man slams into *wooden barrel*!
weasel man's head flies off his body in an arc!

weasel man is dead

edit, i haven't seen df combat logs in a long while, heh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:42:47 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2018, 11:42:01 am »

I'm pretty sure that mod exists, if you want to dig some.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure that mod exists, if you want to dig some.

I think it's too off topic to discuss that more here lol

Also, I've thought about DDLC a bunch since I last played it, and I gotta come out and say it - Monika had a point. There's a certain point you reach in this game where you know that things are going worse for the girls there, but you keep playing because you want to see where it's going. If you thought for an instant that real people were suffering because of this choice, you'd stop playing, but you keep playing because you don't believe that to be true.

Monika is the same. She knows the rest of the girls aren't real and don't really suffer. So to gain access to the one thing in her world that was real, she was perfectly happy to have them killed. This killing was no different than you killing goomba's in Mario. Both block access to what you want, neither are real, and both need to be disposed of for your goals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2018, 07:29:07 pm »

They are person-shaped pictures accompanied by text, planted by a game developer to make me feel emotions. Then the game developer shows me there's nothing behind the cardboard cutout, a fact that I already knew, but causes me to feel different emotions and think about weird stuff to do with stories and cutouts and interactivity.
Oh yeah and they're cute.

Koopas are mostly designed by a game developer to be fun to jump on, and are not very deeply thought-provoking. Though they can also be cute.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2018, 12:57:37 am »

They are person-shaped pictures accompanied by text, planted by a game developer to make me feel emotions. Then the game developer shows me there's nothing behind the cardboard cutout, a fact that I already knew, but causes me to feel different emotions and think about weird stuff to do with stories and cutouts and interactivity.
Oh yeah and they're cute.

Koopas are mostly designed by a game developer to be fun to jump on, and are not very deeply thought-provoking. Though they can also be cute.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2018, 01:15:57 am »

Monika sees the rest of the cast like you see koopas because for her, that's mostly what they are.
Whilst hilariously missing the implications this has for herself. In the end though, it's just an extra layer. It's part of the play that she thinks and does the things she does, it's a story. So really you can feel as angry or not as you like, because it's a story and a tool to help you feel how you want to feel about it.
Because fiction cannot actually interact with reality in that way, when the fourth wall is broken and another layer is revealed, with its own fourth wall. It doesn't make sense to both be able to judge Monika as a person within the fiction as the same time as you judge her victims as characters from outside the fiction, because they're demonstrated to be the same. Either all of them are real and it's murder, or none of them are real so it's simply a story.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »

Whilst hilariously missing the implications this has for herself. In the end though, it's just an extra layer. It's part of the play that she thinks and does the things she does, it's a story. So really you can feel as angry or not as you like, because it's a story and a tool to help you feel how you want to feel about it.
Because fiction cannot actually interact with reality in that way, when the fourth wall is broken and another layer is revealed, with its own fourth wall. It doesn't make sense to both be able to judge Monika as a person within the fiction as the same time as you judge her victims as characters from outside the fiction, because they're demonstrated to be the same. Either all of them are real and it's murder, or none of them are real so it's simply a story.

True!

...don't have anything else to say about that, it's kinda just right.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]