Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open Legend - A cool and free tabletop RPG system  (Read 1720 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Open Legend - A cool and free tabletop RPG system
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:10:11 am »

Site link for those who just want to jump straight into the thing.

Okay, so when it comes to tabletop RPG systems, there's two paths that people take - either they make a system highly tailored to a specific kind of genre and/or setting (the ever-famous D&D, World of Darkness, Shadowrun etc.), or they make it generic and thus applicable to a wide range of genres, themes and settings (GURPS, FATE, Tri-Stat dX etc.)

Many issues plague a lot of generic RPG systems though - whether it's being rules-ified to the extreme to account for every single possible scenario and being kinda overwhelming to try and get into (aka GURPS), or being a bit too vague in too many places (aka FATE and Tri-Stat) or being tangled up in some legal/managemental shenanigans (again, GURPS), many of them just kind of fail in some way or another, which was quite frustrating for me personally - I wanted to run an RPG campaign for myself and my friends, in a soft sci-fi setting of my own design, and wanted a nice and not too mechanically overwhelming system to grab (we were coming over from D&D 5e, and for a while even considered using just that, except with heavy homebrewing and reflavoring).

And then, a friend of mine sent me this video, and everything changed.
I reccomend watching it, it serves as a nice introduction to what OL is about. (And saves me the hassle of explaining most of the basics on my own here.)

All the core rules are available free of charge (and of red tape) on the official website, and only take a few hours to read through at most, possibly less if you skip through the flavor bits and already have some pre-existing knowledge of tabletop RPGs (such as points-based character creation, using dice for checks and the turn-based combat flow).

Oh, and in case you want more than just a basic rulesystem to work with, there's a campaign setting in the works that was kickstarted some time back called Amaurea's Dawn, a multi-genre setting that highlights OL's flexibility, as well as the A Star Once Fallen adventure (though keep in mind that it's based on a slightly outdated version of the core rules, so you might see some things in it that are going to be confusing if you're just getting into the system).

I know there's plenty of RPG enthusiasts on here (or at least, I presume), but if you want something a bit more light on the rules without sacrificing the whole "fun and tactical, mechanical gameplay" entirely, check out Open Legend - it gets a huge +1 from me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Open Legend - A cool and free tabletop RPG system
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:13 pm »

I'm not sure quite why, but I find this extremely exciting.
The chance to jump into a new, fresh 'generic' rpg system, bash out some half-assed setting and run some zany, hijinks-filled adventures through it without having to study for years as a hermit before having any real grasp of the system? Not to mention having less in the way of veteran rules-lawyers, lurking and ready to humiliate my novice attempts at GMing?

Honestly, it's probably for the best that the shipping costs to get a physical copy of the book down here are astronomical, otherwise in my sleep-deprived excitement I probably would have blown a wholly unreasonable amount of money on ordering one on the spot. ^~^;   
Perhaps I'll just grab a PDF copy and get the whole mess printed out. That wouldn't be too difficult, really.

At first I thought you were one of the creators/otherwise involved in the game's development, for some reason... although I guess with the 'open source' business anyone could be. Were the the GM of your group's test session, or a player?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Open Legend - A cool and free tabletop RPG system
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »

I'm the GM in my friend group, though I'm not affiliated with the devs in any way.
I just tend to write about stuff I'm passionate about in a way that might make it seem more official than it actually is. :p

Also, the community, while somewhat small, seems pretty welcoming, so it also avoids the GURPS/D&D 3.5 sin of jaded veteran GMs scaring away newbies. I was spooked from GURPS for other reasons, but I hear that's a big thing. Most of the people hang out on either the official forums, or the Discord server.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:33:45 pm by Mesa »