Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How asking someone for the ball went  (Read 1392 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How asking someone for the ball went
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:01:28 am »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:13:24 pm by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: How asking someone for the ball went
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:38:56 am »

yes, but only if there is no one else" IS hurtful bs. All things considered your response was measured

You did well, man. You did well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:09:31 am »

I don't even have to go to that ball, I'd just be her +1......

Still wondering what I am going to say when she gets home though.....

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:45 am »

nothing!  ask her if she had fun. End of story
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 09:17:25 am »

nothing!  ask her if she had fun. End of story

I mean today, like I said the conversation was over text and she's my flatmate, actual ball isn't for another month or so.

Won't change my mind on the issue though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:25:36 am by Antioch »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:12:05 pm »

Just tell her how it made you feel and why you're upset.

Now this is just speculation, but are you sure she meant it as "I will only take you if I have no other option" and not something else? Maybe she took your earlier hesitation as reluctance, and thought you were just agreeing later out of politeness.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:18 am »

So a roommate of mine asked me out to a ball, I was kinda flabbergasted and didn't really give an answer, I was mostly wondering if she was serious.

Next day I text her that I did want to go.

She replies something along the lines of "If I can't find someone else I will gladly go with you"

I was kinda hurt by the "if there is no one else" and replied something like" If you would only go out with me because there is no one else, then you are better off finding someone you like taking more to the ball"

She hasn't replied in a couple of hours.

Now I feel like shit because I did want to go with her.

On the other hand I am glad I did text her back because I usually have way too much fear of failure to do something like that and I still think replying "yes, but only if there is no one else" is kinda bs.

Any advice?

Ok writing that already made me feel somewhat better. However I still have the "I fucked up, but at least I wasn't too chickened out to try" feeling
You stood up for yourself. Nothing wrong with that. You did right.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:35:31 am »

Now this is just speculation, but are you sure she meant it as "I will only take you if I have no other option" and not something else? Maybe she took your earlier hesitation as reluctance, and thought you were just agreeing later out of politeness.
Seconding this. Efficient communication is complicated, and often, words come out wrong, or get interpreted the wrong way. Best make sure this wasn't a misunderstanding first.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 10:31:38 am »

Seconding this. Efficient communication is complicated, and often, words come out wrong, or get interpreted the wrong way. Best make sure this wasn't a misunderstanding first.

No dont. Dont bring it up. It slunds a bit like beating a dead horse. The cleaner and quicker the better considering you have to live with this person