Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New GM, new game  (Read 1950 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New GM, new game
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:11:52 pm »

Hey everybody, I've been playing with the idea of GMing a DF-themed turnbased strategy game, where (5?) players fight to control a number of hillocks. The hope is that I would find a few players that won't AFK to much, so that we at the very least can get 1-2 turns in a week. (since all players need to submit there turns via PM and I then need to evaluate them and role some dice, that seemed like an ok goal)

Has such a game been played before?

Is there even an interest to play something like this?

Any pointers from veteran forum gamers?

The rules are still work-in-progress, but I wanted to put a feeler out. If people are interested, I may turn this into a recruitment thread later.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: New GM, new game
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »

2 turns a week is a piece of cake, a bit slow actually. Infact an option to leave if it is going slow would be desirable.

As for the theme, I am interested.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:56:24 pm »

Happy to hear that!

how would one make an option to leave, without ruining the game for the other 4 players?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »

Usually I would let another character take over.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:32:42 pm »

I'm interested.

As a GM myself I recommend not being overly complex and/or complicated.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 08:20:01 am »

well, the original idea I had was to have ~20 hillocks that the players could move there dwarves between. Each turn, the players would send me a PM telling me that they want to move X dwarves from A to B. Thats all the player needs to do to participate. I will then have to execute there movements between the hillocks, and if there are dwarves from more than 1 player in a hillock, they will fight in a battlescore kind of way (the army with the most/strongest units wins). when all of that is done, I want to role a D20 for a random event (with a 50/50 chance of no event at all that turn) that is supposed to be anything from a hillock finding adamantine weapons to being attacked by a dragon. And then I return control to the player.

So I think it isn't going to be very complex for the players, and a lot more complex for me. But the players are off course welcome to plot and form alliances between turns.

I will try to write a more complete ruleset and then post it here for input, after which I am probably gonna open up recruitment for the first game.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:49:09 am »

Oh could I control a hero dwarf instead? Sorry if that is not your vision.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 01:05:27 pm »

no need to apologise. the idea for the "setting" was that every player was a dwarf baron, who are fighting for control of the map. I did however want the chance for dwarven heroes to join your army as a random event (1/20 chance for it to happen, and then 1/5 for him to arrive at one of your hillocks). So no, I dont see how I can have you control a single hero character in this game, but you would in a sense control a single baron character, that you are free to Roleplay on as much as you like, but in the thread and in PMs to the other players.