Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.08 Released  (Read 40244 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.08 Released
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 03:55:39 pm »

Well, the baron seems to have come back to the fortress for some reason. Not sure when, there was no announcement. I guess he was just delayed with official duties after leaving the squad. He's still "baron of Helmeast", although a couple of weeks on and that's now been reclaimed by a third civ (busy area of the world this one). Now awaiting Dark Elf retaliation.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 04:24:01 pm »

Huh, I wonder if he returned as a faux-refugee when they got wind the third civ's army was coming?  It would be nice if everybody coming to the fort kept a little migrant profile.  Normally nobles aren't allowed to leave, but if he was detached from his site as he fled to another of your civ's sites, he probably reentered the normal migrant pool.  Though there was no announcement...  so he didn't come with a migrant wave?  Perhaps things are just broken.  That's always a candidate.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 05:23:05 pm »

Probably another situation where multiple mechanics combine in unexpected ways, like the cat alcohol one.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 02:58:51 am »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

(*) Properly stopped imprisoned dwarves from claiming positions in fort

This one made me laugh out loud. It paints quite the picture.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 07:01:37 am »

Hmm. Seems like I might have been mistaken in the new baron staying at Helmeast. My save is just after his announcement and before the squad gets back. Now when I replay it, he comes back at the same time as the rest of the squad (although he has left the squad).

Think I must have got confused when I retired to check Legends.

Also discovered something. During the fight at the dark elf hillocks, some dark elves, the dark elf leader and two wild dwarves were killed by my gang. One was just a non-hist-fig, but it turns out that the hist-fig wild dwarf they killed was the baronness of Helmeast.

She became baronness 30 years ago after marrying a wild dwarf general. They moved to Helmeast just before it was invaded by Dark Elves. A giant bushmaster struck down her husband.

30 years of life as a puppet baronness later, my ignorant gang of thugs turn up, kill her and take over the title.

Damn it Dwarf Fortress. Every small bit of amusement turns out to be an epic tragedy. Love it.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 04:26:51 am »

Something went horribly wrong with ranged attacks in this version; they do not hit the target in the cursor, same for hostiles firing stuff at you, I don't even get announcements of the opponents' ranged attack missing me. This is happening in adventure mode even with legendary skills, in which I'm certain that this could be transferred into fortress mode

I swapped versions on a save made in .07 to current one .08, that's where the problem becomes apparent. I made a fresh extract from current version's zip file to see if the problem was present in object testing arena. It turns out that it is, even with units that have grand master archer/bow skill and a hundred arrows. not a single shot was landed after a lengthy exchange

its not game breaking but the ranged mechanic doesn't even function at this point

tl;dr you cant hit anything with ranged in this version unless I am the only one to have this much !!fun!!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 04:20:26 pm »

Something went horribly wrong with ranged attacks in this version; they do not hit the target in the cursor, same for hostiles firing stuff at you, I don't even get announcements of the opponents' ranged attack missing me. This is happening in adventure mode even with legendary skills, in which I'm certain that this could be transferred into fortress mode

I swapped versions on a save made in .07 to current one .08, that's where the problem becomes apparent. I made a fresh extract from current version's zip file to see if the problem was present in object testing arena. It turns out that it is, even with units that have grand master archer/bow skill and a hundred arrows. not a single shot was landed after a lengthy exchange

its not game breaking but the ranged mechanic doesn't even function at this point

tl;dr you cant hit anything with ranged in this version unless I am the only one to have this much !!fun!!

Oh snap, you're correct! I just tried it in an object testing room and they can't hit eachother at all! There isn't even any dodging messages or anything - the bolts just phase right through even after firing hundreds of them. No matter the skill level
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:23:15 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 04:35:58 pm »

I found in my own playtesting that elves with metal bows & [25] arrows (edited for clarity, they didn't phase through the elf i ASSUME they hit) with the arrows but didn't actually infer damage or even combat log reports of it happening, only the scuffling of them attempting to wrestle each other appearing to do anything afterwards even on expert bow user.

I chose elves just in the offchance that dwarves as a test unit are naturally fallibly clumsy, elves hit the mark more reliably with better intuition and agility base creature statistics since there's no inherent way to modify arena mode fighters.

Edit- whilst still firing at close range, the elf attacking the bowman with ammo remaining probably should have died of multiple metal arrow injuries but didn't.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:38:00 pm by FantasticDorf »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 04:38:37 pm »

It looks like there is a recent issue with weapon traps, too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 04:52:18 pm »

These are new for 0.44.08?  Huh, none of the recent changes seem at all relevant, but I'll figure it out.

edit: okay, I think I figured it out.  One of the wrong paths I took when diagnosing the linux freeze had me put in an overzealous check for uninitialized data.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:29:10 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 08:27:52 pm »

Oh, he actually got to it already.

Praise the The Great Toady One!
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 [2]