Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Art Critique and Support  (Read 21147 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Art Critique and Support
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:43:01 pm »

This thread is for artists seeking critical and honest feedback on their work.

How To Post
Artists: Describe what elements of your art you want feedback on. People are here to help you, so make things as easy as possible for them by making sure your piece is well lit and easy for people to read. If possible, provide the reference you are working from.
Critics: Consider your words when commenting, honesty does not have to delivered unlubricated, so grease up your feedback by being specific and polite. Use the oreo method: one compliment, one critique, finish up with another positive. Doing redlines is encouraged and basically makes you the coolest person ever!
Everyone: If you find art resources that you found helpful, feel free to share them.

No artist left behind!
If you see someone who is seeking criticism and when you're thinking about posting one of your own pieces, consider taking the time to offer them feedback. If you receive feedback, pay it forward, take the first opportunity to help someone out and redline their work.

Get your work seen!
You can use the Random Things thread as a critique-free posting zone.

Resources - Here is a list of free resources for artwork. Feel free to post links in this format and I will add them to this list. When sharing resources, please make sure the content is free and legal to distribute.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:33:43 pm by Parsely »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Art Critique and Support
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »

An excellent idea. Consider this a PTW.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:58:18 pm »

PTW

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:05:29 pm »

And I shall christen this thread with my final figure drawing of the day!
A little rougher, but I thought it might be good practicing some crazier angles.

The head was really tough for me. I definitely did NOT nail it. Translating an odd tilted 3/4ths view threw me a bit.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 07:08:37 pm »

The shading on the nearest arm is weird, as are the proportions. No mouth is also an issue - a mild inconvenience for the drawer, somewhat major for the subject. :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:20 pm »

The shading on the nearest arm is weird, as are the proportions. No mouth is also an issue - a mild inconvenience for the drawer, somewhat major for the subject. :P

Do you have any tips for drawing faces at fairly small scales? It was just a weird angle for heads, so maybe there's a technique I'm missing?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:26 pm »

PTW because I'm not the one to ask for critiques but still want to see all the pretty pictures.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:18:53 am »

And I shall christen this thread with my final figure drawing of the day!
A little rougher, but I thought it might be good practicing some crazier angles.

The head was really tough for me. I definitely did NOT nail it. Translating an odd tilted 3/4ths view threw me a bit.

I tried my best to reconstruct the drawing but I'm not familiar with that angle at all. It feels like this drawing is not constructed, and just copied from a reference. Face is okay, boobs look ok, hands are ok...but lowerbody is...very wierd. It feels like you had to guess to draw the lowerbody and it comes off a bit wrong

Also the line of the mouth should just follow the eye of the eyes.You got the eyes right, sothe mouth should be easy. Just have a parallel line under the nose and draw the mouth over it. Her left foot seemed a bit off too, so I redrawn it trying to keep the angle

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:18:04 pm »

Darn, I wish I could get the stock photo, but I can't seem to find it right now. Anyways, it was drawn from reference. Danke for advice!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »

So I thought about what you said about constructing the image and this time round I took the time to draw armatures FIRST before really refining it. I feel like the legs for both subjects are a little proportionally off?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:00:35 pm »

It looks better like this. It feels like you have a better grasp of where you're going, it feels more natural. Can't really criticize much on this one but I'd be interested to see what you can draw without reference

Also... the man left foot doesnt look like properly set on the floor, but aside that the legs look ok, nothing that kills the pic in any case
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:02:26 pm by Cathar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »

Also... the man left foot doesnt look like properly set on the floor, but aside that the legs look ok, nothing that kills the pic in any case

Ya... neither does the woman's left which are both on the floor... I'm just going to have to experiment around with drawing hands and feet at some point.

It looks better like this. It feels like you have a better grasp of where you're going, it feels more natural. Can't really criticize much on this one but I'd be interested to see what you can draw without reference

Not sure myself... I did some shitty comics a few months ago, but they're pretty shitty. Anything you would like to see specifically?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »

Draw a Giantdad!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:40 pm »

Draw a Giantdad!

From memory? Uh... I'll give it a shot!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 03:35:30 pm »

...It didn't occur to me that references might be necessary to get the mask and armor right. Er, no regrets!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6