Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Ancient arms race - Temple of Thoth - 2994 B.C Revision  (Read 11322 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ancient arms race - Temple of Thoth - 2994 B.C Revision
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »

Core thread

Welcome, scribes of Thoth.

Take a seat at the Celestial table, holding the wisdom of Thoth, standing a meter above the ground with no support at all. This will be your main discussion area, which you can conveniently relocate wherever you wish… slowly (floating or not, it is kind of heavy). You will also find the Hall of relics, where the artefacts of the Sky Gods are disassembled, analysed and hopefully replicated. Objects that float, push, release energy. It is an invaluable treasure, but incredibly hard to decode.

Our God Thoth was a gentle owner, rare among his peers. He taught us how to use the divine artefacts and how to repair them. We enjoyed great important and influence during the reign of the Gods and being the sole remaining keepers of this knowledge we still have a duty to bring Egypt to Greatness. The current war was officially started due to escalating border incidents, but in truth we discovered that Anatolia hosted significant operations of the Gods, which likely left many relics that must be collected and studied, which will only be possible if we completely own it. So, design! You have exclusive knowledge from the Gods themselves and your minds have been sharpened from trying to decrypt it.

Since the war was not as sudden as it might seem from outside, we can do a design and a revision before fighting begins.

Spoiler:  Egyptian equipment (click to show/hide)

Resources 2 Ore, 2 Wood, 1 Relics
TC needed:2 - Available:2
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:16:22 pm by andrea »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Temple of Thoth
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »

thoth*damn it you beat me to it

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:38:37 pm »

War Chariot A devastatingly fast weapon made of wood and bronze, the war chariot is a two wheeled cart drawn by 2 horses. Three soldiers stand atop it. 1 Charioteer, and two others equipped with bows or other weaponry.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:59:12 pm »

FallacyofUrist, priest of Bastet, takes his seat at the Celestial table. "I have arrived."

Anyhow.

Quote from: Boatbox
War Chariot (2): 10ebbor10, FallacyofUrist

Let's start out by sticking to our strengths. For our next design, I'd suggest a boat, currently we only have our solar barge. Maybe a floating(in the air) battleship?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 05:17:44 pm »

War Chariot (3): 10ebbor10, FallacyofUrist,Rockeater

I am for a boat but a flying one feel early
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:05:51 pm »

I was thinking something in a slightly different direction than a chariot.  Why not a Ballista?  Pick up an alternative, cheaper weapon for artillery/ship-to-ship combat purposes.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »

Make sense, better then my ship idea.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:52:07 pm »

Sky Chariot
By using three sacred Shu Stones placed around a bronze-clad wood structure, we create a platform that can float and remain stable above any surface, even water, that offers some protection to its three passengers(one driver and two archers). When pulled by beasts or boats it allows swift motion for a force that ignores much of the struggles of war. Or it can be propelled slowly by using an oar...

I am thinking that we could revise Khopesh onto sticks. Halberds anyone?

For a bit of fluff I am thinking that Shu Stones are antigravity with nonsense networking that keeps them at the same altitude relative to the local gravity-well and a consistent distance from the nearest solid or liquid surface beneath them. A single stone would be perfectly stable, but we are bad at structures so whatever we tried to attach to just one would break from its mooring and flip upside-down, even though the stone maintains its orientation. Also we could use them to fly and probably add propulsion if we knew how to control them... It provides lots of room to improve while respecting our current incompetence...

Also also! I would like to make a national effort. A self-propelled floating temple with multiple big beam weapons would have to turn the tide on occasion... Especially seeing as we can't use our big guns on land. Speaking of, perhaps we should make temples on land as defensive bunkers... It ought to be a revision to get a Sun temple with a bit more armour and just plonk a few down around ports and passes...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:00:59 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:33 pm »

Got a stupid idea that could prove interesting:

Star Gate: An archway with a base of 10 Cubits that utilizes many relics of the Gods.  By utilizing a strange panel that when a set of five of thirty buttons shaped like constellations are pressed, the archway can create a portal to another Archway, allowing forces to move between battlefields rapidly, and quickly reinforce threatened areas.  Messengers and supplies can also be sent through, improving coordination and help build the economy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:06:56 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:19:45 pm »

Unless there is more voting going on, I shall probably roll for the chariot this evening (european time)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 01:03:31 pm »

Star Gate (1): Zanzetkuken

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:10 pm »

As explained in discord, I am offering some difficulty advice until the war starts. The more you ask, the less you get until I will finally remain silent.

Q:How difficult would each of the three proposed designs in the thread be?

A:The chariots are of lower difficulty, which one is easier may depend on the exact performance you try to squeeze out of them.
The stargate is a much, much more challenging design, which will likely not work as advertised on the first try.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:03:10 pm by andrea »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 02:53:10 pm »

Star Gate (2): Zanzetkuken, Atomic
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 03:28:24 pm »

Eh, I still dislike the Stargate.

It's very likely not going to work, and even if it does, it'll be bloody expensive. Also, because it needs Gates on both ends that'll make it practically useless.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 03:43:43 pm »

Eh, I still dislike the Stargate.

It's very likely not going to work, and even if it does, it'll be bloody expensive. Also, because it needs Gates on both ends that'll make it practically useless.

Not really.  Sure you may not be able to dump your guys into the middle of the battlefield (yet.  Might be able to spring off of this to invent that.), but you can deploy them at the very least in various cities and potentially in command posts.  You'd drastically reduce supply lines, communication lines, allow for redeployment of armies between front lines rapidly allowing larger deployments in a region with lesser concern as we can move them between theaters rapidly, adding them to ships could easily allow us to create much larger weapons since we could fire through them (since if matter can get through, so can energy) thereby making our ships far lighter and thereby faster as well as proving a way to get sailors in a sinking ship out, we could mount them on landing ships and be able to keep sending soldiers through multiple points in essentially unlimited number rather than only having the capacity of said ships, increase our transport capacity to the point we may never need to worry about it again, sieges would be forced to end in assaults because we can always resupply fortresses and cities through it, and potentially many other uses.

By contrast, the chariots are very minor upgrades at best that are an underutilization of our potential and don't really lead us to any new advances.  Hell, since we already have carts and they've been noted to be fairly easy, we could quite possibly get them done in a revision (though this turn's should be dedicated to doing something on our navy, since existing boost land).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:45:20 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11