Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Population  (Read 2555 times)

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »

In the manager profile for automated jobs it'd be nice to have one of the checks be population.

"If population is at least 37
and drinks are less than 148
then brew 30 jobs"
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:20:10 am »

This seems like a cool idea

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:12 pm »

Wonderful! I’m blown away at how easy this is able to be done!
No amount of mods is too much

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:28:45 am »

Not really understanding what you'd use this for. Are you expecting mass slaughters to periodically bring your population below 37?

I could see the use in being able to multiply an order by the current population. Having a bunch of work orders for each population bracket, on the other hand, is completely impractical.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:33:27 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:15 am »

Not really understanding what you'd use this for. Are you expecting mass slaughters to periodically bring your population below 37?

I could see the use in being able to multiply an order by the current population. Having a bunch of work orders for each population bracket, on the other hand, is completely impractical.

It could be a certain part of the population, eg whoever is on duty
No amount of mods is too much

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:57:43 am »

LOL I didn't actually think it through that far!

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:13:08 pm »

If I send a lot of dwarves to raid and they don't come back.
Tantrum spirals, flooding

I don't like to micromanage. As it stands I have to monitor my pop and drink/food stocks. I rarely have a fort that can't produce enough food and drink at a moments notice, but if I was able to set how many drinks/food to have on hand depending on pop it would free up dwarves for other tasks.

"Having a bunch of work orders for each population bracket, on the other hand, is completely impractical."
?
It'd be three or four brackets. It would as impractical as adding another job and setting conditions. Not that impractical.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:19:00 pm »

I'm all for more expansions to the manager system, as it is one of the coolest things to delve into in fortress mode imo.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:16:15 pm »

I don't like to micromanage. As it stands I have to monitor my pop and drink/food stocks. I rarely have a fort that can't produce enough food and drink at a moments notice, but if I was able to set how many drinks/food to have on hand depending on pop it would free up dwarves for other tasks.
If you're expecting population to resurge, why not just hold onto the extra drinks? It's not like you run out of booze faster just because you have more of it.

It'd be three or four brackets. It would as impractical as adding another job and setting conditions. Not that impractical.
I assume you'd also want to handle clothing, which comes in parts. Three or four brackets of the essentials can mean 15 or 20 orders.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:30:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:22:04 pm »

If you're expecting population to resurge, why not just hold onto the extra drinks? It's not like you run out of booze faster just because you have more of it.
It's not the quick surge I'm thinking about. A year supply of booze/food is a season supply for a larger fort.

I assume you'd also want to handle clothing, which comes in parts. Three or four brackets of the essentials can mean 15 or 20 orders.
Record a macro. You'd only have to do the tedious task once per job.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »

It's not like you run out of booze faster just because you have more of it.
*hic* Isn't it? *burp*
One of ush ish denifately doing shomeshing wrong, then!  *hic hic*

Though +1 to quantities in the system being togglable to simple multiples/divisors of populations, though, as well as absolutes.

Like: 1x(number of citizens) beds. 1/3x(number of visitors) drinks brewed, 2x(number of enlisted) steel high boots. 30x(number of all resident friendlies) socks.

Should be 'easily' expandable to toggle between "N Foo" , "Nx Popcount Foo" and "1/Nx Popcount Foo" on one new hotkey, and another new hotkey allows for a small selection of useful Popcounts to select from. Or, instead, a set of mutually exclusive Popcounts¹ toggled on/off via a subselection menu, much like stockpile content definitions, to construct a superset to match your every whim. Though I'd probably suggesting just reusing the simple People Allowed To Use A Location list distinctions (being already A Thing™), perhaps with minor tweaks/extensions.

¹ Say something like: {adult citizens, child citizens, baby citizens, animal citizens(/trained/tame/etc split?), petitioned residents, questing guests, traders, trader animals, wildlife, hostile thieves, hostile snatchers, hostile siegers, hostile mounts..?} Could be far simpler. Could be even more discretely split, but I'm just riffing. And rifling through memory and haven't even got to possible circus visitor distinctions that might even be definable in some way without being auto-spoilery like some other internal lists might be considered.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 11:51:02 pm »

It's not the quick surge I'm thinking about. A year supply of booze/food is a season supply for a larger fort.
What does that matter?

Record a macro. You'd only have to do the tedious task once per job.
You've still got to navigate past them to set up other orders.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 03:37:28 am »

It might be interesting if we could define both sides of an inequality to determine when a work order is placed in the queue, with multipliers or modifiers allowed for each size.  So eg:

IF [number of drinks] IS LESS THAN [population] * [3], brew drinks.

IF [number of axes] IS LESS THAN [dwarves with woodcutter assigned] + [axedwarves] + [2], make an axe.

The interface for this would require some thought, though.  You shouldn't have to be a programmer to use the manager.  Still, there's a lot of cool stuff that could be done with something that let us define work orders using equations.  Not just population, but population with specific attributes (adults, dwarves with a particular labor assigned, members of the military, etc - see the "make axes until everyone who needs one has one" work order.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 11:22:04 am »

IF [number of axes] IS LESS THAN [dwarves with woodcutter assigned] + [axedwarves] + [2], make an axe.
Work orders check only available items, so that order could result in twice the number of axes you need.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 04:06:43 pm »

What does that matter?

Pardon left out words that change the meaning of that sentence.
"It's not the quick surge I'm thinking about. A year supply of booze/food for a smaller fort is a season supply for a larger fort."
Why that matters is because if I have dwarves that are doing nothing but making booze and meals those are dwarves that aren't doing mega projects, raiding, making books, singing/dancing/praying.
Right now if I set up automated brewing jobs that produce enough boozes for a small fort for a year that job in the future larger fort is brewing jobs seasonally. And that's not what I want.

You've still got to navigate past them to set up other orders.
Are you referring to editing other job conditions?
Pages: [1] 2